Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2018, 06:25 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longweekends View Post
My gen as described in the title stopped working while on a recent trip to Florida. It has 3660 hours on it and ran fine the entire trip from Virginia to Orlando. On the next day when preparing to travel to Sarasota, it started and then immediately shutdown after about 15-20 seconds. I started it again and the pattern repeated itself. Full tank of fuel so no issues there. Drove the 2 hour trip without the gen running which made for a hot ride in the middle of the day. Determined not to let such a small thing detract from my 2 week vacation. Determined that code 13 was the issue. Mobile RV repair came and checked code , changed fuel filter, air filter checked belts, oil level and after about 3 hours gave up saying it had to be on the electric side and that was too much to do at the park.
Back in Va and now coach is at Cummins dealer and here is where it gets interesting. Initial diagnosis by tech is computer board is bad. Sounds good to me but then service lead says we better check brush assembly because that could also be a problem. Tech checks the brushes and finds some sign of wear and says that needs replacing also. 2 days later the brush assembly is installed and I’m informed that the starter failed now and this is something that sometimes happens.

Does this sound fishy to others or is this feasible? I’ll provide actual dealer name after this saga ends. Thanks for all feedback

Here is the results of my situation. Thanks to everyone who gave feedback. I ended up needing to replace the brush assembly and the starter. Originally it was thought that the computer board would also need replacing. They didn’t charge labor for replacing the starter because I gave the service manager and his manager an earful about the coincidence of the failure. Still very hard to believe but what can I do. They showed me the failed assembly and starter and explained how they diagnosed that the starter solenoid had gone bad. I have the part since there was no core charge. My mechanic may want it for spare parts.
So long story short, I was back on the road with a working generator after 4 days which I guess isn’t bad. Generator doesn’t appear to be as quiet as it was but I didn’t have time or energy to complain. Total bill was $3226.78. A very expensive ordeal but that’s RVing.
Longweekends is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2018, 07:06 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longweekends View Post
Here is the results of my situation. Thanks to everyone who gave feedback. I ended up needing to replace the brush assembly and the starter. Originally it was thought that the computer board would also need replacing. They didn’t charge labor for replacing the starter because I gave the service manager and his manager an earful about the coincidence of the failure. Still very hard to believe but what can I do. They showed me the failed assembly and starter and explained how they diagnosed that the starter solenoid had gone bad. I have the part since there was no core charge. My mechanic may want it for spare parts.
So long story short, I was back on the road with a working generator after 4 days which I guess isn’t bad. Generator doesn’t appear to be as quiet as it was but I didn’t have time or energy to complain. Total bill was $3226.78. A very expensive ordeal but that’s RVing.
You didn't have to pay for labor on the starter and it turns out you didn't need a computer board but your bill was $3226????!!!!!

What cost so much???
EZRider800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 08:37 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZRider800 View Post
You didn't have to pay for labor on the starter and it turns out you didn't need a computer board but your bill was $3226????!!!!!

What cost so much???

Labor and parts for brush assembly. I don’t have the bill in front of me but I think labor was $135 per hour. The brush assembly was about 1k itself.
Longweekends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 06:35 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
If you think about things how many big trucks other than RV's are privately owned and brought to a dealer for repair? Most repairs they make are to company owned vehicles. The driver of the truck, who is probably just any employee, brings in the truck and says what's wrong with it. Cummins comes back and says what the problem is. Driver says fix it and does not ask questions cause it's not his money. Guy who runs company does not have time to haggle with service manager about possible unnecessary repairs. He just knows that the truck in not in service making money. This is probably the base of most Cummins repair facility customers. That's probably why Cummins does not like to repair RV's.
BigLar368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 10:07 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
That's very few hours on a diesel generator. Some have gone 25,000 hrs with just normal maintenance.
I agree with Mr. D, that is not very many hours for a diesel generator.

I think anything major happening would be closer to the 25,000 hr. mark as said above.

A couple of years ago I was at a 'know your Prevost' seminar parked next to guy that had a 25 yr. old coach and had 8,000 hrs on his generator. He said all that has been done is exercise and regular maintenance.

I exercise mine at least monthly under load. I know things can happen but 3,600 hours for a brush seems early.

Safe travels,
Mark
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 11:30 PM   #20

Entegra Owners Club
I have the 12.5 k generator. Every 2 months mine fails to run. Every time I take off the side cover remove 3 #10 bolts that holds the water bottle. Then I pull the wire harness plug from the brain then put it back on

That fixes it for 2 months. I have 2000 hours in my generator

Tags
air, cummins, generator, repair