Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2015, 11:49 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

The ISL 400 uses an LF9009 filter, which typically costs about $38-$40. More at RV and other "dealer" prices, less at a few discount places.

The big can-type air filter my ISK 400 uses runs about $135-$150, depending on who is selling. Dealers mark that price up when they install, plus labor.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2015, 07:40 AM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Never have heard of Walmart changing oil in a DP......with that said, I wouldn't let Walmart change the toilet paper, much less touch my engine! The stories you hear about their quality are true. I can attest to that from personal experience.

A question for the group. All the comments about price mark up on filters.....will they use filters if you bring them in?
Old 11-02-2015, 08:02 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
I did not know WalMart would do an oil change and lube job on a DP!

Your filter, their oil and grease and labor for $75?

Or, just the labor for $75?

5 Gallons of Rotella would be about $70 at our WalMart!
Yep, my $12 filter, their bulk 15w40 Rotella, their grease and labor. Walie does oil change on 5.9 pickup truck all the time, very similar engine on my MH. Hey, that is what they do all day, change oil and tires.

Because it is monted on a big chassis does not mean it is a special engine, it is just what it is, a 5.9. If the guy look at you like you come from Mars then find another Walie, once you find the right place, they will do a fine job. On top, you can sleep overnight on their parking lot, you save $40, so the oil change goes down to $32! what a deal. Bring your MH in the morning, go shopping while they do the oil change.

I take my filter from Cummins / International big truck shop to be sure they will put the right filter but once I find the equivalant at Walie I will take theirs. You know, for my Ford, Walie sells Motorcraft filter, the only filter approved for the 6.0, and this 6.0 Diesel engine is very critical for oil filter. That same $20 filter sold at Walie sells for $50 at my Ford Dealer!

The bulk oil is not as expensive as the one from the shelf. When you take your MH to a big rig shop, they do the exact same thing, bulk oil unless you specify you want something special that they do not have as bulk oil, then the oil will be more expensive. For my Ford, I take it from the self because I only put in Rotella T6, 5W40 synthetic and most place do not have it as bulk.

My MH is just a bunch of parts put together, but of course this is not a half million $$ MH and I barely have enough money to travel, so I try to save on everything.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:17 AM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
500116 is a Napa Gold Air filter which lists on NAPA web site for $237.60. So as far as getting ripped off it is a moot point, we all know we can buy the same filter discounted but that is the official price. USAFilter store has the same Napa filter for $109.44.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 06:33 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

A DP is a lot different than a pick-up truck, basically because of size and engine access. I don't think many Walmarts have a service bay or oil change rack for a 40 ft DP.

By the way, the 5.9L or 6.7L Cummins used in Ram pick-ups usually is slightly different than the same engine in a Class A chassis. Maybe not in oil filter and oil (though the oil pan may in fact differ), but fuel filters, alternator, cooling system, etc. are often anywhere from small to substantially different.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 07:38 AM   #34

I see that it returns to be an air filter, they are much more expensive than an oil filter, not replaced as often and must be of a good quality.

It is true that not all Walie have the space to do an oil change, some of them are scared to do it and they are not all competent, but this is also true for many shops as we hear often on different forums. On my last oil change, I backed it in because there was a car at the end of the bay, but I believe I could have brought it in fwd, it is only a 34 feet MH.

I agree, the engine is not exactly the same but it is very similar to a pickup. Bigger accessories but not more complicated, just heavier. You should not be shy to ask for explanation when you take your MH to a shop, this is your money. Many shops have a heavy tendency to scare you off or make things look much more complicated then they are. Check their eyes, you will see dollar signs blinking!

I did my alternator, radiator, intercooler, turbo, transmission oil, coolant and belts myself, some parts where heavier, but same work involved as my pickup.
Old 11-03-2015, 07:57 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpreece View Post
500116 is a Napa Gold Air filter which lists on NAPA web site for $237.60. So as far as getting ripped off it is a moot point, we all know we can buy the same filter discounted but that is the official price. USAFilter store has the same Napa filter for $109.44.

These throw away canister Eco and Ecolite filters are a Farr design and Farr (or who ever owns them now) is still the only manufacturer. The different brands are just private labeling. The coach builders are in love with these filters because they can flow air in either directions do are fairly compact, but they are mediocre filters at best. My next project is to replace with a suitable filter canister with a replaceable radial seal filter media.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 02:37 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Speedco considers your Cummins 400, heavy duty PM service. That price for an oil change is $249.99. Ebay has 3 oil filters for $58.76 ea., see application guide on the page: Wix 57745XD Engine Oil Filter Cummins ISM, ISX, QSX Engines -See App Guide
This isn't correct. Speedco lists the Cummins ISC and ISL under their medium duty PM for $174.99. Link
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 02:54 PM   #37

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
These throw away canister Eco and Ecolite filters are a Farr design and Farr (or who ever owns them now) is still the only manufacturer. The different brands are just private labeling. The coach builders are in love with these filters because they can flow air in either directions do are fairly compact, but they are mediocre filters at best. My next project is to replace with a suitable filter canister with a replaceable radial seal filter media.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
I'm seriously considering going that route as well. The Ecolite filter goes for about $200CAD up here in B.C.
Old 11-03-2015, 03:17 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I won't go into the cost of this filter, but I can tell you as a former shop owner the price anyone pays for parts is never going to be what you can pay from Amazon or any discount place. The shop has to pay for Insurance, wages, a mortgage, utilities, (electric ect) and if its a good shop training, if something goes wrong warranty the parts and labor, at no extra cost to you the consumer. Believe me most shops are not getting rich even if you think labor cost are high. I would never trust my car to Walmart to say nothing of a MH, and it takes alot more to "just" change the oil then most people think, a good shop will be looking at alot of things as they are under a rig to catch something before you have a problem. JMHO
Old 11-03-2015, 03:27 PM   #39

Entegra Owners Club
You got ripped off. I just paid $240. at Speedco for a Cummins 450 oil change, complete lube, 2 fuel filters and the LF9009 oil filter. That also included the $9.00 up-charge for Fleetguard filters. I also bought a $54. spare fuel filter for $21. with the service. That filter is normally $54. on line, but they will sell you spares for the fleet price with service.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 03:28 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
I recently stopped at a dealer to ask about some maint issues. The hourly labor rate posted on the wall was $137. Doesn't take long to add up.
Cat320
Oil filters are sold by the each...(not by the hour).
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 03:38 PM   #41

Good point Harley, if you are capable of doing your own work is one thing but if not, you need to find a good shop that does it right at a fair price which will be more than Ebay or Wally World. If they are not making money chances are when you need them most they won't be there anymore.
Old 11-03-2015, 04:05 PM   #42

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Cat320
Oil filters are sold by the each...(not by the hour).
Yep, but I was not talking about filters, just the hourly rate for maintenance work.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cummins