Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2019, 09:15 PM   #1

Cummins 450 overfilled by 3 gallons of oil

After a recent oil change, I discovered that the service tech had overfilled my engine by 3 gallons. I had driven over 1,000 miles when I noticed the over fill. I called the service center where the oil change was done, and upon checking, they realized they had put in 10 gallons which they normally put in the semis that they service. I had not noticed any difference in engine performance, and the engine was not leaking from any seals (yet). I drained 3 gallons, and continued my trip home of another 1,000 miles. No problems as yet, but what can I expect as a result of the overfill?
Dwd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2019, 09:33 PM   #2

Expect, at the very least, a full refund for their screw up.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:34 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
If no issues, you lucked out. I think you're still two quarts over. Most ISL's take 26 quarts, 6.5 gallons.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 09:58 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
She didn't throw out the excess?
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 11:37 PM   #5

I would hope that by draining the excess oil , you've avoided any long term issues.
Overfilling usually results in an overheating condition , due to the crankshaft throws , dipping into the oil and adding load to the engine ; also foaming the oil and splashing up the cylinder walls and exposing the rings to more oil that they're designed to handle, and getting into the combustion chamber burning with the diesel creating a rich ( hotter burning ) fuel mixture .
If you haven't noticed any smoke out the tail pipe , the oil rings probably have sustained no damage.
I would say change the oil soon , because the constant frothing from contact with the crankshaft may have degraded the oil , way sooner than usual.
Old 07-19-2019, 11:45 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Have an oil analysis done. I suspect that it will come back OK though. I think you'll be just fine now.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 08:33 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
To avoid problems of this nature, I have a small mom and pop diesel shop do my oil changes. I can buy the oil for what they pay for oil, so I bring the oil and they put in only what I bring.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 08:59 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I would guess that it has already thrown out most, if not all, the excess. I know my 2004 ISL would have done so within the first several hundred miles.
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 09:07 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
A check of, and possibly a change of the coalescing filter would be in order as it may be plugged up.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 09:18 AM   #10

I once overfilled a motorcycle engine by 1 qt.
Upon starting it the engine hydro-shocked and bent a push rod

re-read post #5 (Skip426) !!!
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 09:32 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Make very, very sure that you haven't drained out too much oil. I've overfilled an old leaky gas engine before, and the excess oil quickly (within 100 miles or so) burned off. If I had then drained out the "excess," I would have left my engine with too little oil. But this was an old leaky engine, and gas instead of diesel, so I'm not sure if that applies here.

In your situation, what I would have done is get all of the existing oil out of the motor and then replace it with the correct amount of brand new oil. If the shop wanted to do the work themselves, fine; if not, they can buy me the oil and I'll do it.

Since the problem wasn't discovered until much, much later, both the fix and the original service should be free. If they had instead called you an hour after you left the shop, I'd let them off with only the fix being free.
schad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 02:06 PM   #12

The service center who did the oil change readily accepts responsibility, and they have offered to replace my serpentine belt (which is due to be replaced) for no charge to make up for their mistake. My biggest concern is whether or not damage to the engine will show up at a later time. Other than the oil being very black after 1,000 miles, there is no sign of anything being wrong. When I drained the excess oil, I did it in increments until the oil was exactly on the full mark, so I'm sure that the right amount was removed. Thanks for all of the responses!
Old 07-20-2019, 09:18 PM   #13

If the crank wasn't. Scooping up oil and throwing it all over may not have reached that high, its a big pan. Big oil change franchise put 10 qt. in my niece's Gran Prix .That killed it and they did pay to put a motor in .
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 08:44 AM   #14
doc

Appalachian Campers
In the old days with some of the junk hot rods we built, an overfill could result in splashing and causing the oil to foam. The mechanical oil pump would not pick up the foam. Usually those old engines were so loose and worn the splash would keep it lubed. It didn't take long for the engine to burn or leak the extra oil however. When you are a teenager you can do anything and will live forever. Now? Not so much
doc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, cummins