Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2014, 08:08 AM   #1

Cummins 5.9 oil change check list?

I'm planning on changing oil this afternoon on my motorhome. Below is my check list, I'd like to know if I'm missing anything here.

1. Worm engine by driving it around first
2. Drain oil in large capacity pan
3. Remove filter
4. Replace drain plug
5. Fill new filter with oil and install
6. Fill with new oil

This is the way I do it on my diesel tractor and lawn mower, I just second guessing myself I'm hoping.

Thanks,

Robby
Iowa

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2014, 09:08 AM   #2

Hi Robby,
I usually spray the area around the filter and drain plug with Simple Green and wash before removing filter. This way when I re-install the filter or plug there is less chance of dirt accidentally getting into the engine. I do this with all my vehicles and tractor.

I read a suggestion where you can use a ZipLock bag covering the filter when you unscrew it so all the oil will be contained inside the bag, and not run down your hand/arm. I haven't tried that yet, so if you do let me know if it works!

At a rally once, Cummins representative said not to pre-fill the filter. The thought was that any dirt/dust or other debris entering the filter during the pre-fill through the center hole in the filter will go directly into the engine unfiltered. That being said, I pre-fill my filters carefully. I've been doing that since the early 60's and its a hard habit to break.

Only other thought is when you remove the drain plug the oil WILL come out FAST. Be ready because you can't stop it without making a big mess. DO wear safety goggles because the oil may splash. I also wear disposable gloves. Used engine oil can contain "stuff" that is not human body friendly.

What diesel tractor do you have? I have a John Deere 2320.

Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 09:31 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
Hi Robby,
I usually spray the area around the filter and drain plug with Simple Green and wash before removing filter. This way when I re-install the filter or plug there is less chance of dirt accidentally getting into the engine. I do this with all my vehicles and tractor.

I read a suggestion where you can use a ZipLock bag covering the filter when you unscrew it so all the oil will be contained inside the bag, and not run down your hand/arm. I haven't tried that yet, so if you do let me know if it works!

At a rally once, Cummins representative said not to pre-fill the filter. The thought was that any dirt/dust or other debris entering the filter during the pre-fill through the center hole in the filter will go directly into the engine unfiltered. That being said, I pre-fill my filters carefully. I've been doing that since the early 60's and its a hard habit to break.

Only other thought is when you remove the drain plug the oil WILL come out FAST. Be ready because you can't stop it without making a big mess. DO wear safety goggles because the oil may splash. I also wear disposable gloves. Used engine oil can contain "stuff" that is not human body friendly.

What diesel tractor do you have? I have a John Deere 2320.
I'm very glad you responded. I'll add the safety glass and the try the zip bag too. I'll be prefilling the oil filter for sure cause that's the way dad always did it.

My tractor is a Ford 1520 that I bought new in '91. It just does chores around our small acreage. The bucket did come in handy when I removed the old caulk and redid it this spring on the motorhome. Lot of Green tractors here in Iowa for sure.
Old 09-21-2014, 09:37 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
My fuel filter (fuel water separator) is normally changed when the oil filter is changed.
Cummins manual, Oil filter should be filled prior to installing to prevent dry start. Fuel filter should not, to avoid contaminated fuel getting to the injectors..fill by bumping starter to run lift pump..
(always a good discussion )
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 10:00 AM   #5

Quote:
Lot of Green tractors here in Iowa for sure.
I wasn't aware there was any other color in a tractor! I learn something new every day

We came across your state on our way to Blue Ox Products manufacturer in Pender, Nebraska where we had our tow bar reconditioned. You have a very pretty state! We are currently in Ridgway, Colorado making a big swing around this beautiful country of ours.
Old 09-21-2014, 10:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
My fuel filter (fuel water separator) is normally changed when the oil filter is changed.
Cummins manual, Oil filter should be filled prior to installing to prevent dry start. Fuel filter should not, to avoid contaminated fuel getting to the injectors..fill by bumping starter to run lift pump..
(always a good discussion )
Shoot yes, it can be a hot topic. Just Google the subject for hours of reading!
Old 09-21-2014, 07:16 PM   #7

Well I didn't get around to the oil change today, kids had us over for lunch that lasted 4 hours. Might be a couple of week before I get back it with a busy work schedule. I'll post back on the Zip lock bag trick.

I was going to do the fuel filter as some point before heading south this winter but was going to do a little more research first. There is the matter of how to stop the flow of fuel while making the change and then priming it again.

Robby
Old 09-21-2014, 08:41 PM   #8

Cummins 5.9 oil change check list?

I changed my oil today. I would be careful with the zip lock bag as it will probably get oil on the outside and become slippery. I just let the oil dran off the filter then grab a shop towel and wipe hither filter down as I unscrew it. Was going to change the fuel filters and realized that the water/separator filter is the wrong one for my motorhome and the plastic bowl doesn't fit the correct filter. Waiting until it arrives Thursday to change the filters. I was wondering, has anyone seen one of these to prefill the filter? Removes water and solids down to .005".

Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1411350054.320291.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  34.9 KB
Old 09-22-2014, 07:08 AM   #9

What's wrong with using clean hands and a new one Qt. battle of oil and poring it down the middle of the filter?

Robby
Old 09-22-2014, 07:18 AM   #10

Nothing. Been doing that for years. If you look at the side of the CAT filter it even tells you to prefill it with oil.
Steve
Old 09-29-2014, 06:41 AM   #11

The oil change went well and was very easy. I didn't use the zip lock bag trick as I unscrewed very slow and no oil came down the sides, it came off and I didn't spill a drop.

Oil change is no big deal, just like on a car but larger quantity's.

Thanks to all that that posted and help.

Robby
Old 09-29-2014, 09:16 AM   #12

Glad it all went well! Happy travels

Tags
cummins