Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2015, 07:00 PM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
Was there a Statue of Limitations after the class action was settled.? If so, who do you call?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2015, 07:02 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Looks like you lucked out Bad Bolt. From my readings and talking with Cummins the area in question is 1/4 inch thick on the bad blocks but as I understand not all the blocks were that thin. So with 90000 and past overheating problems if it hasn't cracked yet it's probably not going to. So maybe I lucked out too.

TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
Old 05-09-2015, 07:07 PM   #17

Yes, I think I may have dodged a bullet. Sure hope so.

I also took some pics of my water pump and did not see any coolant leaking. I am sure puzzled about where my coolant is going...
Old 05-09-2015, 07:15 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Bolt View Post
Yes, I think I may have dodged a bullet. Sure hope so.

I also took some pics of my water pump and did not see any coolant leaking. I am sure puzzled about where my coolant is going...
Had a leak on mine when I first got it. It was a loose heater hose that I think was going to my water heater. Once I located it I just tightened it and problem was solved. It was hard to get to. I guess when you turn the engine off the internal pressure increases so it the leak appeared as small puddle some time after shutting the engine off.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
Old 05-11-2015, 01:58 PM   #19

Here are some pics, wide angle and closeup, showing the area where a casting mark should be.

If this is not the correct location for the mark, let me know.

You can see the crankcase slobber tube that is responsible for all that oily mess.

Passenger side front of block

Driver side front of block
Old 05-11-2015, 05:30 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ok I snapped a quick one for you. Not great quality. The pix is on the passenger side of the MH. The 53 is about 1 inch above the oil pan. It is about 8 inches down the block toward the front of the MH.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	94019  
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
Old 05-12-2015, 11:31 PM   #21

So if the lawsuit was settled in 2011or so, what's 4 years when there was admittedly a problem? I spoke to cummins the other day and they pretty much said suck it.
I'm willing to pay the labor for the fix If they would just fix it. Otherwise I'm entertaining the muggy weld cast iron rod. There is a guy at my work that claims he can fix it. At the moment the leak has stopped after a double dose of bars block sealer, ran it a good while, drained and let dry for 24 hrs. Flushed then went about my business. But I'm not gonna Pay for cummins overly huge big ass mistake.
Old 05-13-2015, 12:02 AM   #22
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I may get fanged for this.....but this is what's wrong with this country! You don't say, but it sounds like you bought a used motor home and 16 years, that's 16 years later, you're looking for someone to sue because an engine went bad. How about some personal responsibility. As others stared, a year or two out of warranty, Cummins could provide some help. I'm guessing that many of the people you're talking to at Cummins, didn't even work there 16 years ago!
Old 05-13-2015, 08:20 AM   #23

I beleive the opposite of you don. if a company makes a faulty product that has a high rate of failure, they need to fix it at no cost to the customer If something goes wrong Regardless of age. Laws in our country are geared to protect corporations, not citizens. What kind of personal responsibility are you supposed to take when a manufacture makes a crappy product and the consumer had no idea? Just because there are no fatalities cummins can get by without a recall. This is how companies get Uber rich through loopholes. If you make a crappy product, take it off the market. The ampunt of engines that failed in motorhomes is very high since they were over 235 hp. I'm betting the failure rate is over 50% in rvs with that block.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:58 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinP View Post
Sorry to hear about your woes. There is a repair where they stitch the crack with a series of tapered plugs. From what I have read, it works fairly well but, for how long I don't really know. I did spend a lot of time researching this before I purchased our MH. Found out that I did not have the 53 block. There is quite a bit of information on the internet regarding the 53 blocks and this type of repair. Certainly cheaper than a new short block as your mileage is low. Good luck.
Martin
It's called lock and stitch, and it really does a good job. This may be something to look into.
Old 05-13-2015, 09:29 AM   #25

DO NOT WELD IT!!!

Cast iron is nasty stuff to weld and needs pre and post heat.

Block is cracked and likely to get worse.

Usual process for any crack is drill hole at end to relieve stress and stop it.

Next to secure and the butterfly do work.

Look for a forum for dodge pu and see if someone has developed a repair as this must be quite common and many "wrong ways" have been tried and maybe a couple known correct ways as well.

If anyone wishes to weld it be sure they are certified and insured as a wrong move could cause total failure while this may be repairable.
Old 05-13-2015, 10:40 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here is a discussion link.

lawsuit on 53 block - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum

Another one. Deadline to file Jan 26,2013

http://www.classactionsettlementnews...-truck-lawsuit
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
Old 05-13-2015, 03:09 PM   #27
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
This is a vendor dispute which is not permitted by our rules;

Quote:
Dealer/Vendor and Customer Disputes
This forum is not intended to be a mechanism for people to vent frustrations about vendors or sales from private parties. Please settle your differences with the seller, manufacturer and dealer through other means but not through our community.

Closed Thread

Tags
cummins