Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2015, 06:55 PM   #1

Cummins 53 block cracked! Help

We were at our last cookoff coming home and right when I pulled into the driveway when my low water light came on. It's a 5.9 isb 99 model and just looked under the engine and it's confirmed it's the 53 model block that was made in Brazil and had all the casting/cracking problems. After doing some research I see that cummins had a class action lawsuit and there was even mention of cummins shops taking care of customers with engines below 150k miles. Called cummins........they pretty much told me sucks to be you. I got the information to their legal dept and my sister is an attorney here in tx. I have represented myself I cout for years, criminal and civil over charges and have a very high success rate. I know that I could get them tied up in small claims court and possibly win, but wanted to know if anyone knew of or has had success with an old warranty claim when this is clearly a manufacture defect. It aggravates me to high heaven that they know they made a shoddy product and won't fix it. Any info would be a great help

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2015, 07:01 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Well, it is 16 years old, and nothing lasts forever. Seems you might have a case if it was only a year or so out of warranty and a premature failure occurred, but this seems a stretch. But I guess you didn't want to hear that answer...

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Old 05-07-2015, 07:07 PM   #3

And as your attorney sister will tell you, the most you may recover is the depreciated value of your 16 year old engine ... So small claims might get you a little money, but certainly not what it will cost to replace the engine. Good luck!
Old 05-07-2015, 07:37 PM   #4

Yeah but this thing only has 36k miles, not a single oil leak, has had yearly oil changes, coolant changed every 4 years . It's had a gravy life and I just don't see how a manutacturer can get away with not making a well known product with high amount of failure. I know they got by without doing a recall because it's just an engine, but with this high of a failure rate, they should have done a recall. Settlement in a class action lawsuit is admission of guilt. cummins not making it right imo is violation under the unfair trade act, deceptive practices
Old 05-07-2015, 07:53 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Were you the owner when the class action was settled? If not then your anger should be directed at the owner who pocketed the settlement and left you holding the bag, not Cummins. If you were and chose to not join the class action then it is on you. Not what you wanted to hear but it would seem the courts already ruled on this and Cummins paid the claims.

Sorry for your trouble, sucks to have to put that kind of cash out on an older rig. Maybe you can find a used motor and not be so far over value.
Old 05-07-2015, 07:59 PM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I'm not an attorney. But it seems like your sister could put in an hour of time and give you some pretty solid advice about where you stand. Better advice than you are going to get on here. I'd listen to her.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:17 PM   #7

I'll place my money on Cummins on this one. Mileage makes no difference what so ever. Then after 16 years it breaks and expect warrenty coverage. Save your money, time and frustration and put it towards the purchase of a short block.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:34 PM   #8

From what I understand, the most you will get is $500. That was back in 2011.
Old 05-08-2015, 05:04 PM   #9

Rexhall Owners Group
Sorry to hear about your woes. There is a repair where they stitch the crack with a series of tapered plugs. From what I have read, it works fairly well but, for how long I don't really know. I did spend a lot of time researching this before I purchased our MH. Found out that I did not have the 53 block. There is quite a bit of information on the internet regarding the 53 blocks and this type of repair. Certainly cheaper than a new short block as your mileage is low. Good luck.
Martin
Old 05-08-2015, 05:25 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
PDF on repair of 53 block.

My 99 has the 53 block now with 89K miles.
Most of the cracked blocks in the past happened with the pick up trucks.
By the way the motor mounts were mounted on the engine.

Your is the first MH I have heard about in many years.
Old 05-08-2015, 06:01 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Triker 56 ...Nice Pdf...Stored it.

I have a 53 block and had bought it unsuspecting any thing wrong. I had long talks with Cummins about this problem. I was looking for anything I could do to prevent a cracked block. First thing they suggested is to not put the engine under stress until proper warmup. So I got a silverleaf to monitor temp to make sure thermostat was opening. But when I went to Branson I had overheat problems so all I thought about was cracking the block. I came home on prayer.

When I removed the thermostat (dated 11/97) I had to pry it out because the flange on thermostat stuck to the flange surface in the engine. However internals was exceptionally clean. Extremely bad design especially for MHs that have to sit for long periods. The new thermostats do not have the flange.

I doubt that you will win with Cummins. Cummins claims 5% of the 53 Blocks cracked. I have about 90000 on it and no cracks yet.

Good Luck
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
Old 05-09-2015, 06:13 PM   #12

I just checked on both sides of the front of the block where the oil pan meets the block and found no casting mark.

If I understand, a block with no casting mark is the most desireable to have. Yippie!!

I thought with my coolant leak, I had a bad 53 block...
Old 05-09-2015, 06:35 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The crack appears under the turbo. In that area anyway. Lots of pixs on internet.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
Old 05-09-2015, 06:44 PM   #14

Under the turbo is right where I looked. I saw a YouTube video of a cracked 55 block so I knew exactly where to look....no casting mark.

Closed Thread

Tags
cummins