Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2012, 06:01 AM   #1

Cummins/Allison Safari no start

Pulled into Quartzsite after leisure easy trip and next day no start. Selector shift pad is not lit. Then start but still dark selector. Batts are up. I disassembled key switch and it appears ok. Accys ok. Just nothing when going to the start position. I should get NN on sle switch with key in on position. Any ideas?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2012, 06:52 AM   #2

Was the shifter selector blank (unlit)? If so, pull battery drawer out and look for about a 10-12 gauge wire on the positive terminal. Follow it to check for a fuse. Mine didn't have a fuse, however, the wire had broken at the battery terminal. My symptoms were engine ran, tranny went into default, shifter pad was blank and a red "Do not shift" light on top of panel.
Seems to be the problem a lot of times, I'm told.
Good luck

Kjlunda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 08:01 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I think Kent is exactly right. Without power to that Allison shift pad/ECU then the neutral switch in the transmission is not set so it will not let it start. Also check all the cables attached to the transmission.

How rough was it driving off road there at Quartzsite to where you are parked? Bad enough to shake things up?
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:30 AM   #4

Thanks to both. I'll be checking that fuse as soon as I can get my wife out of bed. The road in is rocky and shakes depending on how fast one drives. Me slow. This place is jammed with rigs this year.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:02 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Look for a butt splice connector on that wire. It is very common for them to go bad. Very very common.
Old 01-28-2012, 06:05 PM   #6

Mike and Kent, Thanks.

I was overjoyed when I found the splice after assuming the fuse connector was the problem and finding out I was wrong. I re-spliced and got the shift selector to show NN. For about 5 seconds, then flash NN for a few (I can hear the relays clicking) and then BLACK. Not long enough to get in gear and move. I have replaced the relays in the Allison relay box. Still stuck. Thoughts ?
Old 01-28-2012, 06:15 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

If it was flashing on and off while messing with that wire and connector then I would return to that wire and connector because there is still a bad connection somewhere
Old 01-28-2012, 07:34 PM   #8

It would seem like a bad connection, low voltage to somewhere. If I had a Allison schematic it would help, probably less than you have.

I replaced the splice and thought I was clear. Turned the key on and got NN. Yea. 10 seconds later they were flashing and then out. At least something has changed. Thanks
Old 01-28-2012, 08:12 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
I had a similar problem and it took 3 days to isolate. Turned out to be a bad ECU. Not the best of solutions but only too 15 minutes to replace ECU and all was well. Thank goodness for Good Sam extended waqrranty.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:23 PM   #10

I'm not sitting on the side of the I 10 or in a Wally lot. Parked in the dirt in AZ. Tomorrow I plan to pursue the same wire/s for more resistance. I have no idea where an ECU might be located and only hope to find a Allison schematic. This is a 93 and may be pre ECU. Anyway tomorrow is another day in the dirt and under the dash. Thanks for all your help. This site is awesome.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:27 PM   #11

Make sure you check the connection of the wire to the battery also.
Kjlunda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:11 PM   #12

ecb

I have a 94 Safari with a 6 speed allison. It has a push pad with DDNNRR on the left side top to bottom. The ECU is mounted on the transmission. There is a wire from the engine compartment that is red on mine that goes forward with the frame rails to the ECU. Might be the same.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:52 AM   #13

I wish mine was mounted on the trans. After hours of tracing those 2 #10 wires off the battery that are shown going into the trans interface (chassis schematic) I wound up at the shifter pad where the ECU is mounted inside. After Mike Canter told me about the butt splice I found and repaired it. It gave me a lit shift pad for about 10 seconds, then flashing NN then relays activated then went black. Will not re lite unless key is off for about 20 minutes. Then the same thing. I talked to Williams Allison in Phoenix and they said take it out and bring it in. Tomorrow.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:58 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Well at least you are close to WW Williams there in Phoenix. They are probably the biggest authorized Allison repair/rebuild place in the USA. Most Allison transmissions are sent to one of there places to be rebuilt.