Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2014, 10:39 PM   #15

Outdoors RV Owners Club
No way Hosea!

49 hours? That should give you at least an engine in-frame overhaul!

Did you pay?

Jim

Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2015, 12:12 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronspradley View Post
Over-torquing would be my guess also. My problem is that I do not know how to prove that. I asked South Plains Cummins in Austin and showed them the old, broken head. They said it could have been installation error, and it could have been a defect in the original 23 year old casting. So, unless someone can tell me how to proceed, it is just my guess against theirs.

ronspradley
You might request to see the mechanics time sheets. Small claims court??? In the end you may be better off forgetting the entire event though because in the end it's " he said vs he said" without substantiation to support the claim. There is nothing, however, to keep you from advertising for that company by relating your true experiences; as you are now doing.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 05:11 AM   #17

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSW214 View Post
On Mitchell on demand in a 93 d350 5.9 the shop time for R&R head gasket is 7.3 hrs

I did not expect any more than 20 hours total shop time. One day to get everything apart and the old head out. Half day to prep new head with parts off of old head. The new head I purchased had valves and springs. And another day to put all back in place. And yes, I paid it. No other way to get my MH back.

ronspradley
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 07:18 AM   #18

If there truly is a casting flaw(which I doubt), the broken part will contain then forensic evidence. Like others have said, proving it in court will take some work. However, small claims court is the perfect venue, it won't cost you a great deal if you act as your own council. If you think you can prove they made a mistake and lied, take them to court. If you don't, they will just keep doing the same thing to other customers/victims. Do your homework, then decide.
Old 01-01-2015, 07:30 AM   #19

There are times in life when an RV can suck the life right out of a person... yet we still pursue the potential enjoyment that they have to offer us. Come to think of it, maybe it's like drugs... or perhaps having a mental illness... I truly feel your pain in all of this... that's a pile of cash and a ton of downtime.

I agree that the hours seem excessive. When I pulled the head off of my B5.9 I think it took me 6 or 7 hours - and I'm just a local yokel monkey wrencher with no real experience. Removing the bed and pressure washing the engine bay to prevent dirt from falling into the engine block took some of that time. I suppose that figure could go up or down depending on how many bolts and clamps and accessories you break in the process.

I don't know how long it would take to refit a new head, since I ended up having to pull the entire engine and haven't actually put the head back on yet... but I'd guess it would take about the same amount of time as removing it, maybe a little more since torquing head bolts and adjusting valves would be added to the equation. I'd say your 20 hour estimate seems about right...

I guess what seems even more crazy to me is the hourly rate they charge... just seems excessive. There are a few very good independently owned garages around here with rates in the $50-$65 range that would have no problem with this type of repair, even on a diesel. The only time I've ever been to a Cummins garage was when I needed to have the computer checked on the Allison... no way I could justify paying them what they ask for mechanic work. This is not to say that they don't have reason to charge that much... just that I personally cannot justify it for my particular application. Just my $.02.

At any rate, good luck with all of this. If nothing else, at least you're back on the road.

-cheers
Old 01-01-2015, 07:36 AM   #20

For $7,000 you could have paid to become your own diesel mechanic! Something to think about!

I thought that there is a basic trade here at work: new/depn, loan and warranty vs medium aged/extended warranty, depn, loan vs old/lots of R&M and out of pocket.
Old 01-01-2015, 07:41 AM   #21

Diesel Mechanics AAS Estimated Tuition Costs for 2014-2015
Every student will need to purchase their own set of tools.
First Year
Credits: 34
Tuition:
Total online credits x ($199.00 + $10.31)
Total on campus credits x ($160.55 + $19.36)
Books: $1500.00
Course Fees: $491.00
Other: $6300.00
Total Costs: Total costs will vary depending on whether registered courses are offered online or on campus. Some courses are offered exclusively online or on campus.
Old 01-01-2015, 07:52 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
SHAME on shops doing business that way! You may want to post the name of this business so the rest of the community does not fall victim. Happy Trails...
Old 01-01-2015, 07:55 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Here in NYState DMV licenses the repair shops (I used to own one) and you can make a complaint against the repair shop, they will investigate the claim, and if they find that the shop did wrong can make the shop pay. I don't know about where you are but if the shop has to be licensed there must be somewhere to file a complaint.
93 Monaco Dynasty 300HP (for now)
Harley1994 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 09:02 AM   #24

For starters, file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. If this shop is a member, they will not like the fact that there is a complaint against them. The BBB has board members with access to technical advisors and arbitrators who can make recommendation to the repair shop on how to make this situation fair to both parties. Best of luck!
Old 01-01-2015, 09:50 AM   #25

Gulf Streamers Club
Thanks for the responses. I posted the name of the repair facility in first post. AB&T Diesel, Auto Bus & Truck. Round Rock, Texas. They do truck air conditioning, which is why my MH was there in the first place. They are one of the only ones around that do Freon12, which my MH has. I took it to them to recharge the AC system on my MH. They also do Ford Powerstroke diesels. So when they fixed my AC, I asked them to look at my exhaust leak at the manifold.

And that's when the fight started.

Will be going to South Plains diesel in Houston either next week or the week after, to have engine on dyno for HP and torque readings. Just for a baseline. I had new injectors put in when head was going back together and I want to see what HP and torque are now. And while there I will ask them what hours they would charge to remove old head and install new head.

ronspradley

Old 01-01-2015, 11:13 AM   #26

Have them evaluate the old head.

They should be able to provide a decent guess
Old 01-01-2015, 11:50 AM   #27

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
Have them evaluate the old head.

They should be able to provide a decent guess

South Plains Cummins in Austin looked at the old head, including the broken piece of the flange that has the threads for holding the exhaust manifold bolts. They said it could have been installation error (too much torque) or it could have been a defect in original casting, no way to know which. So that is where I am stuck.

ronspradley

Old 01-01-2015, 12:24 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ron, alot of shops hesitate to put blame on another shop due to possible litigation issues, being dragged in so to speak, so it might be hard to get a shop to say ether way.

93 Monaco Dynasty 300HP (for now)
Harley1994 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cummins, gas