Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2019, 07:30 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thank you all for all of your suggestions. I bought a 30 amp battery charger that also has a battery recondition mode. The first charger I got did not power up and I ordered a replacement. I pulled both batteries and had the charger go through the recondition process for each of the batteries and then charged them. It seemed to go into float mode in a short amount of time.

Seeing that the batteries were almost 4 years old and were exposed to Florida's year long heat, I went and got two replacement batteries. I had them check the old batteries and they said that both seemed to have a full charge, but one seemed to have something wrong (he did not elaborate).

I installed the replacement batteries and tried to start the engine. Still no luck. I had good experience with Freightliner Customer Service in the past troubleshooting an electrical problem so I thought I would give them a try. They had me check a number of fuses that could possibly prevent power getting to the starter. All checked out OK. They then provided me with a list of a few businesses that may have mobile capability.

I called one of the businesses and they came out to take a look. They indicated that it was the starter itself. They said that they do not see many starters go bad, but it does happen. They ordered a new one and replaced it yesterday. It now starts just like it is supposed to. I am now a happy camper (although one with a little less money in his pocket).

Bill
Mountain Master Motorcycle Lift, 2018 Harley Davidson CVO Limited
wlf00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2019, 08:42 PM   #16

How much is a new starter? Did it take much to install it?
Old 06-22-2019, 08:46 PM   #17

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
In had a similar problem 2 years ago. I would turn the key, the voltage would drop on the voltmeter, but the engine wouldn't turn over. I would have to twist the key on and off a few times before it would turn over and start. I charged the batteries, disconnected every battery connection i could find and cleaned them shiny, and it still would act up.So I also ended up replacing the starter. The starter cost me around $180 and I replaced it myself. Problem solved.
Old 06-23-2019, 06:37 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
DBelectrical.com they are also on ebay, they sell starters alt. etc, marine and auto's best cheapest place to buy, lost count on how many items i bought from them.

No i don't own the company and feel confident of there outstanding service, and stand behind what they sell.
Chief Alen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 06:49 AM   #19

Glad you got it fixed.
Most every community has a parts rebuilder and new, rebuilt alternator , starter's on hand.
I had had both rebuilt in an hour while I waited also.
Also
4 state truck parts
And
Finditparts.com
For great service and prices.
Again
Glad you got it going again.
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 06:12 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I left it up to the mobile repair person. He says he prefers not to used rebuilt starters and has a guy who sources all of his electrical needs whom he trusts. He said the starter assembly (starter, solenoid, and what appeared to be a starting capacitor) was $500+. All together, it was $810. He spent a good two to three hours and two trips on site including the initial trouble shooting and starter replacement. He broke a lug on a small wire and had to make another trip to the shop to get a replacement lug.

I am happy with the work and the cost. I know I probably could have gotten it cheaper. But it is done and now working.

Bill
Mountain Master Motorcycle Lift, 2018 Harley Davidson CVO Limited
wlf00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cummins