Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2014, 10:56 PM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
dougburi I assume you read the other threads in this post. If you have had a diesel engine on pickups and things like that the fan runs all of the time. In my post you noticed that my engine used to run rock steady 200 degrees. The freighliner truck service place informed me that was a sign of a bad hydraulic fan controller. They are supposed to have the fan off until you get to about 211 degrees then they kick on the fan and the temperature lowers. It is not my favorite way of doing things but that is the way it is designed. You might have freightliner check to see if your fan controller is working correctly if you are worried.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2014, 12:48 AM   #16
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
My first question......where are you reading these temps....the Monaco coach gauges? If so, they're VERY inaccurate. I ran the SilverLeaf VMSpc program on my 2005 Diplomat and on flat ground it ran 185-189 all day long. On grades, while towing my truck in hot weather, I would go to 205-209.

I now have a side radiator ISL and the VMSpc temps show pretty much the same as my Diplomat did.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 08:18 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougburi View Post
My ISL (pre-DEF) runs from 165 to 200 degrees without any reason for the variation. I can be driving for hours at 175, stop for fuel, etc. and start up and it runs at 200 -- same operating conditions -- or vice versa??? Also big swings in temp with just rolling up to a stop sign, etc. In 30 seconds it can drop 20 degrees and then back up when I resume speed.

Cummins says "don't worry about it...."

What's going on here? Where is the temp sensor located? I have never had a diesel engine that did anything other than sit rock solid at one temp on level ground -- this one is all over the place?

Any thoughts on this???
Need more info. What chassis and year, make and model of coach?
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 07:48 AM   #18

Temperature variations for no reason ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
Need more info. What chassis and year, make and model of coach?
I have a 2009 Spartan chassis under a Newmar / Dutch Aire. My question involves the BIG change in temperatures (both engine and transmission) for no apparent reason. For example, in a four hour drive on flat ground the temps can run 170 for two hours and within 15 minutes go to 200 for an hour than back to 180 for the rest of the drive. The actual temperature / gauge accuracy a isn't my concern; it's the VARIATION that leaves me mystified!!! Any thoughts???
Old 10-21-2014, 08:51 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
I have a 2009 Spartan chassis under a Newmar / Dutch Aire. My question involves the BIG change in temperatures (both engine and transmission) for no apparent reason. For example, in a four hour drive on flat ground the temps can run 170 for two hours and within 15 minutes go to 200 for an hour than back to 180 for the rest of the drive. The actual temperature / gauge accuracy a isn't my concern; it's the VARIATION that leaves me mystified!!! Any thoughts???
Thanks for giving us a baseline to work from. My gauge is not numbered. I, too, got a big swing on the trip yesterday through Steven's Pass in WA. I never saw it climb over 1/2 gauge except on the 7% grade. The swing is normally about one division line. This is a rear radiator and it was rainy and cool driving conditions.

My '05 had a side mount radiator. It was not uncommon for it to reach the overheat alarm temp in the mountains. Downshifting would bring the temp down. On the 'flat' drives I would still get a swing in the gauge but not as great.

I believe the fan clutch and the thermostat are doing their respective jobs. If you are not overheating on a regular basis you are in good shape. What is your major concern? Is your coolant clean? Do you have a coolant filter that has not been serviced? Have you been to Gaffney, SC for the factory chassis tuneup? These questions are just things for you to consider.

It appears you are just trying to be a good and responsible owner with your question. and keep seeking to know what is right and what is a trouble indicator. I hope others with your coach model will speak up with their experiences. This will either assure you that you have a problem or you don't.

Many happy trails,

Rick Y
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
Old 10-21-2014, 09:13 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
This is a side note to my above post but a good place to put it. The '05 Freightliner expansion tank for the radiator has a known high failure rate. It starts to get a scaly look and many cracks that start to weep. I don't know what other years have this problem. The replacement tank does not fit well and the mounting bracket needs to be modified. Without insurance help the fix is expensive.

No my coach the expansion tank is large and flat. I got a "Check Engine !" alarm last week in the WA mountains. A call to Freightliner helped me solve the problem. The tank is for another application. In the back of the tank is the coolant level sensor. When the tank is half full the sensor can loose it's contact with the coolant briefly on steep grades. The fix was to add distilled water to the tank and have the coolant tested for protection strength if operating in winter conditions. (Won't happen in my case.) No more alarms on the way back through Stevens Pass.

Hope I have helped someone. Happy trails all.

Rick Y
Old 10-21-2014, 12:38 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
My humble opinion is to clean the radiator and change the thermostat. After 5 years my thermostat went bad and the temps went up on climbs. On flat ground in hot temps the normal is about 190. I can see the temps climb about 5 degrees and then it drops quickly as the thermostat opens.

As for the thermostat, you need the serial number off your engine to be sure to get the correct one. About $50 but cheap insurance.
Thanks for the heads up on this, called up Cummins this morning, $25.84 for my thermostat, going to pick one up and keep it with me. My temps have been a little weird at times, ill feel better if I have a replacement with me.
Old 10-21-2014, 03:34 PM   #22
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DegoRed View Post
Thanks for the heads up on this, called up Cummins this morning, $25.84 for my thermostat, going to pick one up and keep it with me. My temps have been a little weird at times, ill feel better if I have a replacement with me.
Funny, one would not buy a battery to keep as a spare. Changing the thermostat is easy and you can compare the two in boiling water. Change it under nice conditions versus along the road in the dirt. Just my humble opinion of course. My thermostat was around $50. Inexpensive fix in the scheme of things. Mine acted up on a trip over the Grapevine in Calif. Had gone over it many times with no issues. That trip the temps went up and I had to really back off. Changing it in an RV park was easier than along the road.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 09:44 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DegoRed View Post
Something to consider is ease of access. I have a rear radiator. I have no idea how to get to the thermostat. On my first coach I was having a overheat problem. It was a Fleetwood Discovery, rear radiator. The vent pipe on the engine did not receive a mod by the first owner that would extend the venting below the engine. As a results the intercooler got plugged and the engine was overheating on grades. Freightliner in Spokane is who diagnosed this problem. Maybe it was the thermostat too, but that was many years ago now. The coach had much going wrong with it and I opted not to have the radiator pulled and cleaned. I traded for a '05 Winnebago Vectra that turned out to be even more trouble.

In a conversation with Freightliner, Saturday, I learned about the importance of buying "fully formulated" commercial truck antifreeze. This guy recommended against the "extended life" stuff because the experiences of truckers had not been good if mixed with the fully formulated stuff. He said truck stops would be the best place to find the correct formula antifreeze. Pickup truck antifreeze at Walmart or NAPA is not the same thing. What is interesting is that the Cummins owners manual I have does not agree with the Freightliner guy. But the manual does state that the "Extended Life OAT" coolant can be used. It stated these coolants don't meet "Standard 14603". All of this is WAY out of my understanding. I'll just stick with the recommended stuff. No where could I find a recommended thermostat change interval in my books. Life of the engine or when it fails?

Another thing I didn't realize is that the ISB is considered a through away block. ISC on up are rebuildable. Just a side note that has nothing to do with anything.

I guess I see no problem if the gauge is "swinging" under load. The operating instructions are clear about downshifting under certain load conditions and cautions about over revving. If I can pull a 7% grade and not overheat I guess all is working as it should. All my opinion of course.

Rick Y
Old 10-23-2014, 01:59 AM   #24

Temperature variations for no reason ??

RE: Cummins ISL 425 hp in a 2010 (non DEF) Newmar Dutch Aire

I have not stated my question clearly before.

QUESTION: Is there anyone out there who has large temperature changes in both engine and transmission that occur on flat ground at a steady speed. These changes can be an hour at one temp and then quickly change to another temp for another hour, etc.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:17 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:

QUESTION: Is there anyone out there who has large temperature changes in both engine and transmission that occur on flat ground at a steady speed. These changes can be an hour at one temp and then quickly change to another temp for another hour, etc.
My best answer is to go to a Cummins dealer and have them check the codes. You may have a sensor on the way out. "flat ground" is a relative term. I have found in my travels I will think that I am on a flat grade but the turbo boost will be pulling hard. Have you noticed a correlation between one and the other?

I hope you don't have problems. But, good for you to be alert enough to be looking for the unusual before it is a big expense.

Rick Y
Old 10-24-2014, 11:30 PM   #26

ohh this just hit me.
most gauges run on lower voltages, 5 volts or so..
I wonder if the supply to those 2 gauges is fluctuating.
possibly a ground. the effect is on both gauges at the same time.
or the transition occur at different times.
ok gauge 1 temp rises to X deg, 10 min later gauge 2 rises an equal amount
then both read hot for next 2 hours, then temp drops 1 then the other..
Or does it seem that both gauges rise and lower at same time with hold time equal between both gauges ? is the change sudden, or over several minuets?
I have seen this before where some of the gauges read ok, some don't then they all read ok .. so I wonder if supply voltage or ground at gauges or possibly alt/engine, engine/chassis, chassis/gauge cluster, cluster/gauge ..
the challenge is to find the ghost in the machine.
I wonder if a code reader would provide eng/trans temp, and is there or does the change match ch gauge changes ?
These are the fun "find it's"
kb7uxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 07:25 AM   #27

Maybe we have something here??

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb7uxe View Post
ohh this just hit me.
most gauges run on lower voltages, 5 volts or so..
I wonder if the supply to those 2 gauges is fluctuating.
possibly a ground. the effect is on both gauges at the same time.
or the transition occur at different times.
ok gauge 1 temp rises to X deg, 10 min later gauge 2 rises an equal amount
then both read hot for next 2 hours, then temp drops 1 then the other..
Or does it seem that both gauges rise and lower at same time with hold time equal between both gauges ? is the change sudden, or over several minuets?
I have seen this before where some of the gauges read ok, some don't then they all read ok .. so I wonder if supply voltage or ground at gauges or possibly alt/engine, engine/chassis, chassis/gauge cluster, cluster/gauge ..
the challenge is to find the ghost in the machine.
I wonder if a code reader would provide eng/trans temp, and is there or does the change match ch gauge changes ?
These are the fun "find it's"
First the coolant temps rise slowly over 10-20 minutes followed by the transmission gauge in 2-3 minutes. They both move smoothly without jerkyness. I also think that the temps actually do change (not just the gauges) because the oil pressure falls just a bit at the high temps which I would expect. The ECM has no fault codes in it. When I say driving on flat ground I do mean less than 5 feet per mile as read by my GPS.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:02 AM   #28
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:

Not normal.
Side radiator or rear? If rear radiator and you do not have a two speed fan then why not change out the thermostat. It could easily be hanging up. Cheap test and good maintenance item to replace. You would change a fuel filter out if you suspected a fuel flow issue, why not a thermostat?

Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, cummins