Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2012, 06:43 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Cupped Tag Tires

Had our new to us coach inspected today, and the right side of both tag axle tires are cupped. The inspector stated that the tags may be out of alingment. He pointed to shims that that he said contorl the tracking. There are 47.5mi on orginal Toyo tires. The rest of the tires look great, but will replace them 2 at a time. Starting with the tag tires. This is a 2003 Country Coach Allure. Thanks, John

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2012, 10:12 PM   #2

Sounds like bad shocks or loose wheel bearings. They will cause the tire to jump up and down, causing the tire to "skip" cupping the tire.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:07 PM   #3

Tag tires wear worse/different than the rest of the tires on the coach, due to the side scuffing they are forced through. I would be reluctant to guess at an alignment/shock issue without seeing the tire ,JMHO, I would say that , replace the steering tires first and move the original steering tires to the tag, and when you get to the duals replace as a set of 4.
Safe Travels.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:21 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

My tag axle tires wear just the same as the rest of the tires. Cupping isn't normal so something is out of whack. It sounds like these are the original Toyo tires. RV tires fail due to age, not mileage. Generally 5-7 years is about all you will get out of them before the sidewalls weaken from age and lack of driving. If these are indeed 9-10 year old tires, I would replace them ASAP to prevent a blowout. You can check the DOT numbers on the sidewall to verify their age. If you're not familiar with DOT numbering take a look at http://www.rvtechlibrary.com/tires/tire_age.pdf for details.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:40 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cupping is normally not caused by alignment being out. It is interesting that it is on both tires and on both the same side of the tires. Cupping is normally caused by the tire bouncing on the road. Bad shocks cause the tires to bounce and so would a too low of air pressure in the tag axle bags. I have a regulator with a gauge in my engine compartment that allows me to change the pressure in the tag bags which I do on scales to change the weight on the drive axle and on the front axle. If your MH has this adjustment then you should check to see what it is set at. In my mh I run my tag bags at 42 psi. They came set from the factory at 28 psi. It might be worth taking the MH onto a truck scale that and weigh each axle and see how much is on the tag. It takes a little positioning to get the tag tires on one platform and the drive tires on another. If you have this adjustment then while on the scales you can adjust it to met the weight on axle even spread in accordance with the mh specs. If you change the regulator then you should raise th tag up and put it back down before re-weighing or dump the air suspension then bring it back up to Drive Position before you weigh it again. The other thing to check is how much oil is in those tag oil bath bearings. If you pop the outer part of the center hubcap off you can see the fluid level in the center cap. Check it and make sure it is at the correct level. Having no or low oil in the bearing bath can cause a serious fire when the bearing over heats. I change mine every 30K miles and I use Mobil One synthetic gear oil.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:05 AM   #6

Mike, how much oil do the bearing take on a complete fill up? Thanks, John
Old 06-15-2012, 07:16 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

John. I would have to check my notes that are in the mh but if I remember correctly from a complete drain to a fillip was less than a pint for both sides.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:31 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
We had a customer with cupped tires on the tag. He spent a great deal of money going to three different companies and having everything checked on the axle. Finally he called the ex owner and just as I had told him, the tires had been moved from the front axle. Every cupped tire I ever had on a tag was a tire moved from the front.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:42 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

GA traveler that is an excellent point. Makes a lot of sense
Old 06-21-2012, 08:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
We had a customer with cupped tires on the tag. He spent a great deal of money going to three different companies and having everything checked on the axle. Finally he called the ex owner and just as I had told him, the tires had been moved from the front axle. Every cupped tire I ever had on a tag was a tire moved from the front.
Thanks, we had the Steer Tires replaced with Mi XZE, WOW what a difference in the steering. Best move we've ever made. Thanks, John Country Coach 2003 Allure FMCA

Tags
tires