Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-30-2015, 03:44 PM   #1
Curb Ramp

Where we have to park our 33 ft. motor home we have to drive over the sidewalk curb. Does anyone know how I would make a wood ramp to make the transition from road over the curb easier on my rig.

Tom, Lyn & Keeley
2014 Southwind 32VS
TomnLyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2015, 04:30 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

Make ramps out of 2 x 8" lumber. I'd make them so they are flush with the curb top and blocked underneath to the height of the curb. In addition, according to how long you make them, they should perhaps have a midway block too. Cut the end to form a taper the tire can roll up onto easier. You'll need 4 ramps, 2 on each side so you don't put all the weight on just two of the rear tires.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 07:07 PM   #3
Originally Posted by TomnLyn View Post
Where we have to park our 33 ft. motor home we have to drive over the sidewalk curb. Does anyone know how I would make a wood ramp to make the transition from road over the curb easier on my rig.
A real quick and easy way for you to tackle this issue is, simply purchase a couple of small sections of wood that will "ramp" you up very easily. By that I mean, if your curb is say, 6" tall, then if you had a short section of 4"x4", say about 24" long, laid parallel to the curb, right against it, you've got 2/3 of the problem solved. Now, 1/2 of that 4" x 4" would a 2"x4" x 24". You lay that in front of the 4" x 4".

Now, your tires will transition from the street, up the 2"x4 and then transition from that 2"x 4" to the 4"x4" and then, transition to the top of the 6" curb.

And, all you have to do is, pack them up for later use.
2004 ITASCA HORIZON 36GD, 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Toad '08 GL 1800 Gold Wing
Retired-29.5 yrs, SDFD, Ham - KI6OND
Me, Karla and the Sophie character, (mini Schnauzer)
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 07:17 PM   #4
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just back right up over the curb to the storage space beside my house.

I have 22.5" tires and so it's very easy.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD, W22, 8.1, 7.1 MPG
2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 08:00 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have 19.5" tires. I have been driving over a curb for many years into where the coach is stored. Just roll up to it slowly, and ease up and over. Never have had a problem. Same curb gets rolled over by my pickup truck and Jeep, also never a problem.
Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 10:08 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
Newmar Owners Club
You really don't need a ramp. Just take a 4x4 and lay it in the gutter. A 4x4 fills the void in a typical gutter, which is usually enough.
Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 10:15 PM   #7
You can fabricate two ramps to get over the curb, that can also be used to level your MH when camping.
Use 2x10's flat and make one about 4 ft long, the second about 3 ft long and the third about 2 ft long. Cut a bevel on the leading edge of each and drill two holes vertical thru all three pieces clamped together, and countersink the top for the head of a large 40d or 60d nails used to keep the boards from sliding.
This will get you up over a 6 inch curb and if you need more height just add one more 2x and make it longer than the first.
These are modular and can be used individually or stack as many as you need. I made a set of these for my use to level the MH on sites that have a great variance in elevation.
CarlGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 09:04 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Agree with the others - a simple 2x6 or 4x4 piece laid adjacent to the curb is sufficient to make the transition easier. Even without that, it's no different than a pothole you might encounter on a highway somewhere, and your speed [hopefully] is going to be much lower too!

I carry a couple 2x10 pieces about 24" long that I use if a campsite is far off-level. Would use them if I had to climb a curb too, if the curb was more than about 6".
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 11:01 PM   #9
Thanx everyone for the great info, we really appreciate it.
Happy travels to all.

Tom, Lyn & Keeley
2014 Southwind 32VS
TomnLyn is offline   Reply With Quote