Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2014, 07:19 AM   #1
1977-2006

Newmar Owners Club
Curious questions for those with enclosed car haulers

I realize the situation will dictate your actions, but typically, what is your routine when you pull into a campground/park?

Assuming you can't park the trailer at your site for whatever reason, where do you typically unload the vehicle from the trailer? How do you get the trailer to wherever it's going to be stored? Where do you unhitch?

Thanks!
Ed

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2014, 10:21 AM   #2

First, when making reservations, always mention the rig length. Otherwise be prepared for the occasional "adventure".

Your question really affects both open or closed car trailers, and the issue is overall length. Our length with trailer is 52 ft. so we fit in many pull through sites in normal campgrounds. Lots of our camping is between destinations, so the race car doesn't need to come off of the trailer. In the instances where there isn't sufficient room we just park the trailer where directed and have usually been able to maneuver for unhooking and hookup. In case of adventures, one time we just had to leave and found another park. Of course, this was late on a rainy night, and we assumed that a KOA would have room, but the only long sites available were flooded. Another time, we assumed rather than asked, and it took lots of forward & backward maneuvering to even get to the site.

So my advice is to do lots of planning, talking to the intended campground about site length & trailer parking, and even looking at the intended park or site on Google Earth (which has a measuring tool so you can check site length). Having said that, I don't always follow my own advice and still have an occasional adventure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
I realize the situation will dictate your actions, but typically, what is your routine when you pull into a campground/park?

Assuming you can't park the trailer at your site for whatever reason, where do you typically unload the vehicle from the trailer? How do you get the trailer to wherever it's going to be stored? Where do you unhitch?

Thanks!
Ed

George Schweikle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:37 AM   #3

I always ask for a pull thru and tell them I am over 60 feet on total length and I only unload the T Bucket if we are going to cruise the local town/sites.........I have not had a bad site YET.....

.....Maybe I just need to try more often and in April on the way to Florida I may have a problem but that is part of the trip..........Have Fun no mater what.......

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1619.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	539.2 KB
ID:	55206  
Old 02-02-2014, 04:30 PM   #4

Not wanting the aforementioned adventure when we use a campground with the trailer I google earth the campgrounds with pull through lengths over 80 feet as I am right at 70. So far no problems.
Old 02-02-2014, 04:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnut View Post
I always ask for a pull thru and tell them I am over 60 feet on total length and I only unload the T Bucket if we are going to cruise the local town/sites.........I have not had a bad site YET.....

.....Maybe I just need to try more often and in April on the way to Florida I may have a problem but that is part of the trip..........Have Fun no mater what.......

Mike
I can see why you have an enclosed trailer is that thing road legal?
Dave
Old 02-02-2014, 08:56 PM   #6

we tow our corvette in a 20 enclosed cargo trailer. We are 65 ft long. We never unhitch. I call campground ahead of time and make sure we get a large pull thru. The koa have the biggest ones, if we are a little too long they will place safety cones around us. We are in niland, ca, desert right now for six months and our site is so large, we backed in with our trailer attached. We only remove it when we desperately have too. Usually someone is there to help us reattach it, but back camera makes it easier. WE live full time in ours and have never had a problem yet.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:58 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We don't frequent many campgrounds when we are out racing but have never had a problem. We are about 64 ft long and have utilized pull throughs. At a couple places we had to drop the trailer in a separate area of the CG which made me nervous. I ended up checking on the trailer constantly due to the trailer storage area being just outside the entrance to the CG.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budski View Post
I can see why you have an enclosed trailer is that thing road legal?
Dave
Yep Dave my T Bucket is street legal and has about 20,000 miles on it....I have been from Coast to Coast and Border to Border with that trailer and Bucket........We have a lot of fun when we unload and drive around a strange town........

Towed the trailer with a Ford pickup, a Ford class C MH and now with the F53 HR.....Have Bucket will travel.........next trip Ocala Florida in April & back to the Texas Panhandle on the way home to southern New Mexico in May........... see you down the road....You want to ride in a Bucket just ask.......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1624.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	529.4 KB
ID:	55253  
Old 02-03-2014, 11:43 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
No way I would leave my car/trailer anywhere but behind my rig unless it was an ABSOLUTE emergency.
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 03:01 PM   #10
1977-2006

Newmar Owners Club
OP here. What prompted my question was I was thinking of buying a trailer for myself and also thinking about Bluewater Key Resort. Trailers are not allowed to be kept on the site/lot, and they have an area that is designated for storage of trailers, boats, etc. That got me to thinking about the process of getting everything situated where it is supposed to be.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:35 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
OP here. What prompted my question was I was thinking of buying a trailer for myself and also thinking about Bluewater Key Resort. Trailers are not allowed to be kept on the site/lot, and they have an area that is designated for storage of trailers, boats, etc. That got me to thinking about the process of getting everything situated where it is supposed to be.

Thanks for the replies.
If you have a car in the trailer, use it to move the trailer around. I've had the cg take the trailer from me at check in and put it in the storage area. They all have trucks. There's always help.