Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2014, 07:26 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagcat View Post
I am from Texas but have not lives there in a number of years(will be back there in a couple of months for a extended stay).My wife and i are full time,have not driven our M/H in texas yet.Been in many states.Went through a long tunnel tunnel.This is the first one i have seen ,was a L.P. check station ,they just wanted to make sure L.P. was turned off and no loose tanks.Also asked for D/L (i have a regular one) no problems.
This may sound stupid. But i was just wondering do you have to have a CDL to drive a M/H in Tx? I thought since it was not used for commercial a regular d/l worked.We are based out of Arkansas and i know several retired DPS officers that travel in a m/h on a regular d/L.Maybe they did go to Tx?
If this is so i will get one.Also we pull a car trailer with our 40' M/H we are a little over length for most states (3') been stopped for other things they never said anything,just luckily i guess. I heard you can get a non-comm CDL with an exemption for over length. I will call DPS in Tx some time and check it out.
You DO have to have a Non-Commercial Class B license to operate a vehicle in excess of 26,000 lbs. in the State of Texas. So states the law. It is sorta like a commercial license test but not as stringent nor extensive. They call it Non-Commercial so you don't come under all of the rules and consequences of having a regular commercial license like in inability to take a defensive driving course to dismiss a ticket. Regular CDL holders do not have that option.

The license you have is a Class A. You need a Non-Commercial Class B to be legal. The odds of getting a ticket because you don't have one may be fairly low but the odds of lawyers suing you and/or your own insurance company denying you coverage in case of a major accident are pretty high when, not if, they find out you are improperly licensed.

Just my 2 cents.

Don

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2014, 07:42 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
The license you have is a Class A.
Unless you have already upgraded, the standard license is a Class C Operators.

Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 08:18 AM   #17

If you are "based in Arkansas" then I am assuming you have an Arkansas drivers license. If that is the case, and you are legal to drive your motorhome in Arkansas with your current license, then you are legal to drive it in Texas with that same DL.
Planocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 08:59 AM   #18

In NY they eliminated non commercial CDL. I have class D operators with RV endorsement. If I move to Texas will that qualify for non commercial class B?

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
2013 Allegro Red 38QRA
2013 Honda CRV
Full timing
Old 09-09-2014, 02:45 PM   #19

I missed a key. I should have said the license you have now is a Class C.
Old 09-09-2014, 04:25 PM   #20

Thanks guys. For the replies.
duoglide1: the Garland dps are close to me. Just checking. You said Garland so I think that is the dps off of i30 and not the Dallas garland mega center in down town Garland? If that is correct that is where I will go.
Thanks again.
Ro6ert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 05:13 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
For those monitoring this thread...while not required, some
Insurance companies offer discounted rates if you have a commercial DL. Since the commercial test isn't much harder than the non-c B, that's what I'll be doing.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:10 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statgeek View Post
For those monitoring this thread...while not required, some
Insurance companies offer discounted rates if you have a commercial DL. Since the commercial test isn't much harder than the non-c B, that's what I'll be doing.
You might want to rethink the CDL(Commercial Driver License) just for getting a discount on your insurance.
In Texas you must keep a current medical certificate on file with the DPS or your license is dropped to the non-commercial class. The medical is required every two years (every year if on blood pressure meds).
With a CDL you will not be able to take a defensive driving course to get tickets dismissed you just get to pay em (if you get any in the RV or your car/truck)
And the discounts aren't all that great
My current CDL expires in April 2016 and after 30 years I will not be renewing it.
srx-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:55 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro6ert View Post
Thanks guys. For the replies.
duoglide1: the Garland dps are close to me. Just checking. You said Garland so I think that is the dps off of i30 and not the Dallas garland mega center in down town Garland? If that is correct that is where I will go.
Thanks again.

Yes it was on I30 off the Broadway exit. I don't think the mega center does these HOWEVER these people have no clue. They had me fill out paperwork then started to give me a learners permit which I explained that I was not interested in. When I took the computer tests I told them the first one was the wrong test (gave me the original TX license test). I argued to no avail. After I passed it they admitted it was the wrong test. I ended up taking the pretrip inspection written, air brake written, commercial rules and one general knowledge. They do have you demo the brake tests, do a quick easy parallel park check and run you around a 2 mile circuit. The examiner stated he had never given one before. All that and they gave me a commercial (not non-commercial) license but it does say BM (class B & motorcycle). The appointment for driving test you want to make in person (when you take the writtens) or later. Do not try on line as it will not work. Make sure your low air buzzer and lights work, take your triangles, some spare fuses and don't forget wheel chocks for the brake demo. I'd go to a small town if I had to do it again but other than the written goat rope it wasn't that bad. Oh, and they don't care how it got there so they won't ask. Good luck.

2005 Inspire 330 Davinci, #51334. C9
Old 09-10-2014, 09:42 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigguy2 View Post
In NY they eliminated non commercial CDL. I have class D operators with RV endorsement. If I move to Texas will that qualify for non commercial class B?

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
2013 Allegro Red 38QRA
2013 Honda CRV
Full timing

No it will not qualify you. If your RV is over 26,001 lbs then You will have to take a written test and driving test to get non-com class B.
Old 09-10-2014, 11:26 PM   #25

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by akadeadeye View Post
You DO have to have a Non-Commercial Class B license to operate a vehicle in excess of 26,000 lbs. in the State of Texas. So states the law. It is sorta like a commercial license test but not as stringent nor extensive. They call it Non-Commercial so you don't come under all of the rules and consequences of having a regular commercial license like in inability to take a defensive driving course to dismiss a ticket. Regular CDL holders do not have that option.

The license you have is a Class A. You need a Non-Commercial Class B to be legal. The odds of getting a ticket because you don't have one may be fairly low but the odds of lawyers suing you and/or your own insurance company denying you coverage in case of a major accident are pretty high when, not if, they find out you are improperly licensed.

Just my 2 cents.

Don
plus my insurance went down when i acquired my non com b license
put us in another class and rates dropppppped
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 08:04 AM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for these tips re comm versus non-comm. guess the non-com B is the ticket for me too. Now if I can just carve out some time to study the test!!

Also--curious--what sort if "triangles" did y'all get? I have seen collapsible traffic cones with reflective surfaces that looked nice. I carry a large/regular cone and put it out when I'm hooking up the toad to help alert passer-by's that i am working in between Rv and toad. But it's large to carry and I'd like a smaller version.
Old 09-11-2014, 04:02 PM   #27

Hmm. From the way I read this, if I have a Class A license from CA, it doesn't really transfer over to same thing in TX? I've thought of dropping mine to a non-commercial Class A, but it seems I'd have to take tests in TX. Guess I need too do some studying 😜
Old 09-11-2014, 04:13 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBilly View Post
Hmm. From the way I read this, if I have a Class A license from CA, it doesn't really transfer over to same thing in TX? I've thought of dropping mine to a non-commercial Class A, but it seems I'd have to take tests in TX. Guess I need too do some studying 😜
If you have a class A CDL(commercial Driver License) from CA then it will transfer over in Texas as a class A CDL. If you have a Hazmat endorsement and wish to keep said endorsement then you will have to take the hazmat test. Dropping to a non-commercial class A should not be a problem as long as the personnel at the drivers license are competent.

srx-6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
texas