Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2015, 05:31 PM   #1

Custom order

I was told that if you order a motorhome from the factory that you will save about 40% off list price. The reason is the dealership doesn't have to spend any money, is this true?

Thomas
Our Big RV Adventures - Facebook Group

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2015, 05:33 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
No.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 05:33 PM   #3

NO!!
Old 06-07-2015, 05:46 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
What our learned companions said...the only advantage to the dealer would be if you paid in advance, they wouldn't have to floor plan it-savings would be minor
Xeena(German Shepard)
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 05:51 PM   #5

You might get 30%, but I think that is the best case scenario, regardless whether you custom order or not.

I got just under 25, and that was off of the final MSRP (custom orders included) with nothing added but my home state sales tax, title and registration.

If you get a 28% discount and then pay delivery charges, PDI and document fees, you really didn't get a 28% discount.

Make the dealer quote you final price with only tax, title and registration added.
Old 06-07-2015, 05:56 PM   #6

Not really....
Old 06-08-2015, 11:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom222 View Post
I was told that if you order a motorhome from the factory that you will save about 40% off list price. The reason is the dealership doesn't have to spend any money, is this true?

Thomas
Our Big RV Adventures - Facebook Group
There is a big difference in ordering it from the factory and factory direct....if you order from the factory and it is driven to your local dealership there is no difference ....the dealership will still mark it up to include your factory changes....factory direct means that there is no dealer in the middle....I must get to the factory where it is being built and pick it up there and then you will save all those dealer ship cost.

WDK
Old 06-08-2015, 01:03 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
You won't save a penny in shipping costs or get a huge discount. In fact, some companies charge you extra to pick the coach up at the factory.

If 40% off the MSRP, everyone would be ordering direct.
Old 06-08-2015, 01:59 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
If the RV world is like the auto world, the local dealer still gets his cut, otherwise why have a dealer network?

When I ordered my C5 Corvette, it was a $750 option....but you got a factory tour and a run around the track with a factory driver. There was no special discount either
Xeena(German Shepard)
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 02:09 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I have always found I get better deals on coaches that have been on the dealers lot for awhile, especially at the end of the season or model year.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 09:31 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
You won't save a penny in shipping costs or get a huge discount. In fact, some companies charge you extra to pick the coach up at the factory.

If 40% off the MSRP, everyone would be ordering direct.
NeXas is a fairly new company only having been in business since 1992. The guys left a dealership because they were pissed at how they did business and they started their own company. They don't even let dealerships service their products under warranty....they interviewed and checked out independent contractors. Their specialty is a super C having the Ghost, the Fanthom, and the Viper in their line up. As of January 2015 they brought a new class A online called the Bently...it's a 35 foot 10 inch Cummings diesel 360 800 foot pounds of torque, 4 slides and as many bells and whistles as they could get in for the introductory price of $179.000....however it just went up to $189,000....a comparable Alegro would be $240,000 easy. We bought custom, out the door at $205,000 due to be finished in August. They will pay air fare for you to fly to Elkhart, Indiana and drive your rig home and that is the only way you can get it....factory direct, no dealer mark up.

WDK
Old 06-09-2015, 11:44 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
We had narrowed our choices down to a 2015 or a 2016 Meridian or ordering from the factory. We ended up with the 16 that was on the lot. It had some options we probably wouldn't have ordered, but it was the best deal. The 15 was cheaper by a small amount, but had many more miles already on it and was a model year older. It had also been sitting at the dealer's with folks walking through it. The 16 hadn't been on the lot more than a week before it became ours. I was surprised that they wouldn't give me as good a price on ordering as they would on the one in house - we did not look into pick up at the factory, but they would not negotiate as much on a custom order as they would on the one that was already in front of us. We were more than happy to take the options we would not have ordered for effectively no cost!

2016 Itasca Meridian 36M, 2009 Jeep Wrangler tow...
TurnTwoNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 11:58 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpreece View Post
I have always found I get better deals on coaches that have been on the dealers lot for awhile, especially at the end of the season or model year.
And I like to see the actual item I am buying. That way I can see if everything is satisfactory. If you special order and they ship in a friday holiday weekend special you are stuck unless you feel like refusing it and go to court. I have never bought a new RV, but I always bought automobiles using that approach.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 02:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderman View Post
And I like to see the actual item I am buying. That way I can see if everything is satisfactory. If you special order and they ship in a friday holiday weekend special you are stuck unless you feel like refusing it and go to court. I have never bought a new RV, but I always bought automobiles using that approach.
In part another beauty of NeXas....when you go to pick up your rig, if you have the time you can spend a week or so at the factory, going through it with someone, driving it with someone and getting things taken care on the spot....I can only give them three days for that but I am in contact with a rep all the way home and I will get the info of the nearest contract outfit that they trust to fix it right if I miss something or something else occurs....nothing is perfect but I like the way these guys talk and they have a very good rep. I have had two RV's prior, gas engines both brand new and now I am moving to a diesel for full timing so I have had some experience with RV dealers....they suck....these guys sound like they are trying to go the extra mile.

WDK