Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-13-2012, 08:39 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by anotherone View Post
Your right ; when is that time. How about less than a year old and 6000 mi. Would a car still have warranty and many manufacturing defects be covered? You bet your booties they would be covered. This motorhome should be an embarrassment to thor because of the way it came out of the factory. If my factory put this out in this condition I would be scrambling to save my reputation and make it right just to stay in business.
I took responsibility the day I brought it home and started working on it. I worked on it a solid week fixing sealing adjusting and some things I said forget it thats what warranties are for; after all its practically new. Thor said no!!!!!! Even if its one day old ; second owner get lost ,thor washes their hands of you. Heres a copy of an email tom overton sent me today. Yes he told me second owners dont have warranty ; 3 times he told me this and I dont accept this cop out for factory screw ups. Step up to the plate thor and take care of your factory screwups. I DID NOT PURCHASE THIS SERRANO AS IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Larry I have talked with you before about the warranty on the coach ,you being the second owner did not purchase our warranty you purchased the coach As is . The only warranty that would be left on the coach would be the chassis warranty because it is transferable . So you would need to call them to register with them for any recalls that may come up so you would be notified we will register you as the second owner so if we have any recalls we will be able to send you a letter on what it would be.

Thomas Overton
Warranty Advisor
701 C.R. 15
Elkhart IN. 46515
PH. 877-855-2867
FAX 574-294-3618

What are the specific issues you feel the manufacturer should be paying for?

2016 DSDP 4369
2012 DSDP 3734--sold
2012 Jeep Liberty Limited
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2012, 08:43 PM   #16

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
So, the OP is the second owner, he bought it "As Is" and wants the factory to pay for warranty work that is no longer covered?
I didnt buy it as is and I never would!

OP, did you get a good deal on the unit by buying it second hand? If so then the money you saved is what you have to do repairs with.

Didnt save squat and have a $3000 extended warranty that says thats not mechanical breakage thats just poor workmanship.

Take the problems up with the seller, the factory has the right to refuse service as per their written warranty. You did READ it before you bought, right?
No never saw that and thats not the point. The point is they put out factory screwups that are atrocious and should save themselves some embarrassment and restore their reputation like anyone else would ,or go out of business like the US car makers almost did.
anotherone: I feel your frustration and pain, and I agree that in a perfect world you should not have these problems. However, that said, your words I've put in bold sure read like a serious case of "buyer's remorse", and it seems to me you need to accept at least some of the blame for the situation you're in.

Apparently, you bought a used coach and spent more money on an "extended warranty" (believing that somehow made your purchase something other than "as-is"). IMO, most these extended "warranties" are vaguely written pre-paid repair contracts that take your money up front and then evade paying claims using every excuse they can think up. I too have been burned by their tricky practices.

NOW you feel ("didn't save squat") that you didn't get a good deal, but it is the deal you agreed to THEN.

Apparently, you ASSUMED ("never saw that") the coach had a manufacturer's warranty because it was so new. If you were told by the seller that the coach had a transferable manufacturer's warranty, and now you've been told by Thor that it does not, then you should sue the seller for fraud.

I don't think it is good customer relations policy, but Thor has made their position clear regarding coach coverage for second owners, claiming there is NONE. However, you do have a fully transferable chassis warranty from Workhorse. If you're going to keep this coach, I suggest you register with Workhorse to avail yourself of their coverage. Otherwise, do yourself a favor- accept the fact that you made a mistake buying this coach, and get rid of it. Life is too short to live with this level of remorse. I wish you good luck and happier times ahead.

2016 EC Aspire 42RBQ / 2014 CR-V
Old 02-14-2012, 06:51 AM   #17
Originally Posted by MJFZ View Post

What are the specific issues you feel the manufacturer should be paying for?

Here are a few ; several are already fixed. Everyone please be aware that this is my eighth motorhome , not my first rodeo. My point is if no one says anything than nothing ever changes and thor keeps on this path with no repercussions. Hitting them in the wallet gets attention and things change. Good customer service is the key. So far I have cost them three sales ; would have been cheaper to just step up to the plate and be proud of what they build instead of hiding. Making people aware of their quality control will send them elsewhere. Its called word of mouth and it can make you prosper or sink.

water leak rear wall , roof vent raise lower switch backwards, wood floor sinking at step, drivers window hard to open, NO HEAT BATHROOM AND BEDROOM, SHOWER DOOR TRACK MISALIGNED, black water valve leaks and not centered over compartment exit hole,living room slide pops catches and tilts, bedroom slide gear slips, surround speakers not connected , antennae turn ring cut too short, satellite box mounted in wrong place, backup camera color inop, drivers seat has wrong pedestal patio awning points up in the air.
Mostly just labor involved and re-engineering. This is half the list!
If this was a Tiffin I would have gone right to the factory and been done with as they know how to take care of customer issues , thor needs to learn this!
2013 f150 4x4, 2 pia horses! 2016 phaeton 40 ah and 2015 polaris sling shot
Old 02-14-2012, 08:55 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Few, if any, RVs extend their warranty coverage to a second owner. We can argue all we want about what the warranty could or should be, but it is what it is. Bashing Tom Overton isn't going to change anything, even if Thor adopts a new warranty policy tomorrow.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Old 02-14-2012, 09:05 AM   #19
Originally Posted by texnet View Post
Times 2

Time 3 , second owners are buying used with no factory warranty. With all the problems poster has listed is probably the reason the first owner sold/traded it in. This is one of the pitfalls of buying used
Old 02-14-2012, 09:15 AM   #20
Newmar Owners Club
Hi Folks,

We allow these threads so members who have an issue with a vendor/dealer/manufacturer can explain their situation and get advice on how to proceed. It seems that has been accomplished so we will now close this thread.

Thanks to all who have contributed.

2007 Newmar DSDP 4023
Discovery is seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what no one else has thought.
If you want to see what man made go East; if you want to see what God made go West.
Closed Thread