Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2015, 03:34 PM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
CW - $359.99 Yearly Rubber Roof Maint? Gasp

I just reserved a date in June at my local Camping World (Fort Worth) for the annual roof maintenance. This consists of cleaning, rinsing, and conditioning the rubber roof, sealing/resealing any sealant exposures, etc. I was told when I picked up the coach after the new roof was installed there (in June of 2014) (CW-Ft Worth) it would be 149.99.

They now tell me the annual roof maintenance is 359.99.

Now the whole premise of this story is that as long as I have the annual roof maintenance done at CW, they guarantee the roof for LIFE.

Well, after 10 years, that amount of money could put a NEW roof on the coach!

I'm shocked!!

I know they use the Dicor rubber roof cleaner, then rinse, then follow up with the Dicor UV protectant coating, etc, and check all the sealant spots, but my gosh, that's a WHOLE lot of money!! They must include 2-3 hours of a tech on the roof at the 139.99 rate.....

I am shopping for discounts from CW on Annual Rubber Roof Maintenance, so if anyone sees coupons or discounts, let me know!!!!

Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2015, 04:02 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Wow! I have always cleaned my own roof at least three times a year, (I really do not like black streaks), and never realized how much CW charged.

I use similar Dicor, Thetford, or Protect All cleaning and UV roof protection products, (whatever is on sale), and it only takes about 30-40 minutes.

Old 04-21-2015, 04:14 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I figure a couple hours of labor annually - that's what it takes for me to wash down the roof and check over the seams and openings, touching up as needed. Don't need any fancy "treatments", just plain old detergent and some bleach to cut the mold. I figure I paid myself at least a couple hundred bucks by doing that.

Most RV shops get $100-$120 per hour nowadays, so $200-$240 for labor plus a tube of caulk and some detergent ought to cover it. Maybe a $239.95 special? But if folks will pay $359...
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 04:18 PM   #4

First mistake was doing business with CW. Sad you had to learn how they do business.
$359 a year for maintenance is robbery.
Old 04-21-2015, 05:57 PM   #5

Do it yourself. The dicor probably will cost you 160 f0r cleaner and the coating plus one tube of sealant. With the other 200 you can throw one hell of a beer fest for all your friends at iRV2
Old 04-21-2015, 06:38 PM   #6

I am sure you are looking at a few hours for the roof, plus you have to wash the whole coach after the job. Sounds reasonable to me for present day shop labor rates, which is why I don't pay to have folk do much to my MH.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 11:13 PM   #7

My rubber roof is 15 years old and never been touched. Out of sight, out of mind saves a lot of worry and expense
Old 04-22-2015, 05:55 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My dealership offers an annual roof inspection for free. Just had mine done and everything looked good. Other than that i just wash it a couple times a year.
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 08:45 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
$395 for cleaning and re-sealing a rubber roof doesn't sound too bad, compared to what Lazy Days, in Tampa wanted, the last time I had my MH in, for service. They wanted $1,000 to do it! I said, no thanks, I'll do it myself and I did!
Old 04-22-2015, 09:24 AM   #10

Wow
Old 04-22-2015, 09:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gripper View Post
$395 for cleaning and re-sealing a rubber roof doesn't sound too bad, compared to what Lazy Days, in Tampa wanted, the last time I had my MH in, for service. They wanted $1,000 to do it! I said, no thanks, I'll do it myself and I did!
That sounds like they didn't want to do the job, but if you insisted they made a lot of profit. Many years ago I used to install garage doors and openers after my full-time job. If my partner and I didn't want to do a particularly distasteful job we would double our ordinary price instead of telling them we didn't want the job. Once in a while someone would surprise us and say "OK, do it". Come the weekend, we took our wives out for dinner with the extra money.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:13 PM   #12

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
When we had the Dutch Star I did the roof twice a year as stated in the owners manual. Got a mop at Dollar Tree and some Murphy's Oil soap. Cleaned the roof, while it was drying I inspected the sealant. Then sprayed 303 on everything including the fan domes and skylight. Never had a problem with the roof or domes/skylight breaking although the skylight did need polishing each time. I got a plastic polish made for the bubble windshields on military helo's at a surplus place for $1.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:33 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
That sounds like they didn't want to do the job, but if you insisted they made a lot of profit. Many years ago I used to install garage doors and openers after my full-time job. If my partner and I didn't want to do a particularly distasteful job we would double our ordinary price instead of telling them we didn't want the job. Once in a while someone would surprise us and say "OK, do it". Come the weekend, we took our wives out for dinner with the extra money.
I think they just wanted to make a quick $1000 bucks, because I did not ask them to check the roof. They just routinely climb up and see if there is money there for them.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:37 AM   #14

Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbmsu View Post
First mistake was doing business with CW. Sad you had to learn how they do business.
$359 a year for maintenance is robbery.
+10

Tags
gas, roof