Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2014, 09:32 PM   #15

The $39.00 install special does have some clear limitations and it doesn't cover everything. If you assumed that it did then we all know the saying about asumptions.

I am interested, as others are, why did they charge you more. Did they have install plumbing, run drain lines, what about install electrical lines or breakers. Usually the $39.00 is just for bolt on or ready to go installs.

Also have you had them installed by anybody else - what did they charge?

StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2014, 09:37 PM   #16

Always read the tiny lawyer print.

Old 07-05-2014, 10:01 PM   #17

Freightliner Owners Club
I wouldn't like them install the w/d. I have other dealers saying they would charge $200.00 and that is where I am going. CW will never install anything on my mh. As I said before I would have gladly paid $200.00 if that was what I was quoted.

As for "assumptions" I assumed when a man looks me in the eye and tells me it will cost $39.00 I expect him to charge me $39.00 and not hide behind fine print. FYI I also had a written work order with the $39.00 clearly on it. But as "they" say "your only as good as your word" and well CW you know where you stand with me.
Old 07-05-2014, 11:03 PM   #18

It seems to me that you just want to be angry at camping world for following their policies which are pretty clear.

"Installation Fees
Installation Fees shown cover labor charges for standard installation. Some installations require additional material and labor charges and are quoted upon inspection. A standard supply charge is added to each work order."

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtorres View Post
As I said before I would have gladly paid $200.00 if that was what I was quoted.

You were given the $39.00 installation fee and then they called you back and QUOTED you $200 for some extra work, which you have been asked about several times but refuse to say what was needed.

By not elaborating on what extra work or materials that needed to be done to complete you installation you are leaving out a very significant detail. Chances are any other RV shop will need to see your motorhome before they can give you a "rock solid" quote, that may be even more. It seems to me that if you add up the wasted fuel, time and emotional energy you are putting forward on this issue it might have been a better deal to have worked with camping world.

I wish you the best in getting a great deal on a washer and dryer installed at a fantastic price.
Old 07-05-2014, 11:19 PM   #19

I had camping world in berkely ma install a satellite and new toilet on my coach. They only charged me 39 for each install- But... toilet was installed and leaked, haf to be redone. Satellite was done wrong and sheared off by eind on the way home. They wouldnt let me bring it back for 2 weeks, told me it was fixed. It wasnt. Third trip they replaced it. Still didnt work. Called dish. Repairman came out and told me the dish they put on only received western arc signals, which are very low in the sky and nearly impossible to get in the northeast. Winegard told me the same. CW let me switch to another portable unit, but when I looked ehere they sealed the roof from the rooftop model it was a nightmare. Sloppy, unsightly, unprofessional. And the place they put the outside jack for the hookup was so high I need a ladder to reach it.
Each time they tried to charge me for labor, but eventually gave in after an argument.
Bottom line- be very cautious about letting CW work on your coach!
Old 07-05-2014, 11:32 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenNSteph View Post
It seems to me that you just want to be angry at camping world for following their policies which are pretty clear.

"Installation Fees
Installation Fees shown cover labor charges for standard installation. Some installations require additional material and labor charges and are quoted upon inspection. A standard supply charge is added to each work order."

You were given the $39.00 installation fee and then they called you back and QUOTED you $200 for some extra work, which you have been asked about several times but refuse to say what was needed.

By not elaborating on what extra work or materials that needed to be done to complete you installation you are leaving out a very significant detail. Chances are any other RV shop will need to see your motorhome before they can give you a "rock solid" quote, that may be even more. It seems to me that if you add up the wasted fuel, time and emotional energy you are putting forward on this issue it might have been a better deal to have worked with camping world.

I wish you the best in getting a great deal on a washer and dryer installed at a fantastic price.

All true if the op went in demanding $39 install. However he didn't, he was told "yep $39" over the phone, he then arrived and again was told "yep $39" and even signed a work order saying $39 installation. So your "assumptions" are wrong. Tell me that the service writer didn't know it would be more than $39 right off the bat. That's called bait and switch. Now let's say you're right, they pulled the coach inside and the tech said "oh wait I need more parts". That would be fine, however CW advertises it as $39, yes there is fine print, but they will swear up and down $39 till you get there.

Case in point. $39 to install two CW vent covers. Was assured $39 for both, "what do you think we'll send two different techs out". Well bill time came, $39 x 2, and charges for caulk, and shop supplies. Well they took off one $39 charge, however caulk at $12 and misc. shop supplies at $9. The service writer? Didn't say a word, till management left and then interjected "they tell us push $39 as fact". Funny thing is though there's stories of people getting some incredible work done for the advertised $39.
Old 07-05-2014, 11:38 PM   #21

more proof there is no Santa Clause...if it is too good to be true...most likely it is just that.
Old 07-06-2014, 12:19 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by phnguyk View Post
Now let's say you're right, they pulled the coach inside and the tech said "oh wait I need more parts". That would be fine, however CW advertises it as $39, yes there is fine print, but they will swear up and down $39 till you get there.

I don't know what I am missing here but Camping World's advertisement seems plain as day to me:

"Installation Fees

It's $39 dollars for a standard installation.
It appears he was quoted this $39 standard installation deal.
After the coach was looked at CW realized that additional material or labor charges were needed.
CW called the owner on the phone and given a revised installation estimate.

The real question is what additional work or labor needed to be done. This has been asked but no answer has been forthcoming so until we know this we are only speculating wether CW was acting within the scope of their agreement.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:02 AM   #23

Quote:
I don't know what I am missing here but Camping World's advertisement seems plain as day to me:

"Installation Fees

Installation Fees shown cover labor charges for standard installation. Some installations require additional material and labor charges and are quoted upon inspection. A standard supply charge is added to each work order.
What you seem to be missing is the fact that it was quoted over the phone WITHOUT QUALIFICATIONS. That is a legally binding contract. PERIOD.

The problem is that when he went in to sign the contract, the fine print was added. That is bait and switch. The legal problem is that before the contract was signed, he should have read the fine print and demanded that clause be removed based on the telephone agreement. Legally they would have had to comply. That is the point where the bait and switch occurred. That is when it needed to be enforced. Once he signed the contract, it was all over. The switch had already occurred, he just didn't realize it.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:43 AM   #24

Quote:
I had a verbal quote before I drove 150 miles to have a washer/dryer installed, when I arrived I signed a work order where I agreed to pay for the w/d and the $39.00 install.
They didn't spring the $200.00 installation till after they had my MH in the shop. I told them to get my MH out of their shop and not do the install, I don't do bait & switch very well. I would have gladly paid $200.00 to have the w/d installed if they would have been upfront with me and quoted me $200.00.
Quote:
I wouldn't like them install the w/d. I have other dealers saying they would charge $200.00 and that is where I am going. CW will never install anything on my mh. As I said before I would have gladly paid $200.00 if that was what I was quoted.
As for "assumptions" I assumed when a man looks me in the eye and tells me it will cost $39.00 I expect him to charge me $39.00 and not hide behind fine print. FYI I also had a written work order with the $39.00 clearly on it. But as "they" say "your only as good as your word" and well CW you know where you stand with me.
mtorres
I'm with you!

They had all 6 tires/wheels off my coach, (and had one new tire on a wheel), before they discovered? that the spin balancing they had included in the original quote was going to cost me an additional $80!
I made them remove the new tire, remount my old tire, and put all 6 wheels/tires back onto my coach.
I then drove to an honest tire store and bought the 6 new tires I needed... (mounted and spin balanced for a lower price than the original quote).

As long as the "bait & switch" continues to work with a lot of customers suckers, CW will continue to deceive their customers.
However, if everyone stood up for themselves they would soon learn that honesty IS the ONLY policy.

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 07-06-2014, 08:44 AM   #25

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:

"Installation Fees

I have no problem telling you the "extra" work needed was the toilet was in their way so they had to remove the toilet in order to slide the w/d into the cabinet made for it.

So am I angry at CW yes I am. They do not stand behind their word, hide behind small print, cost me a day off of work and a $100.00 worth of fuel. I didn't mention that when I arrived the service writer wouldn't even walk out and look at my mh he wrote the work order, gave me the windshield tag and asked me to put it on my mh.

As for "working with CW" I met with the general manager. Not only did he call me by the wrong name he treated me like I was scum for questioning their policy. I found it strange that the service writer was very quite border line rude and then the technician was rude, the service manager wouldn't talk to me and then it all came together when I met the general manager he was the king of rude. And you have heard the old saying " It runs down hill"

I will have a w/d installed and it will cost me $200.00 or more but it won't be camping world that will make the $2000.00 for the job. I have owned 4 mh's in the last 3 years so I do spend a lot of money in the mh business. And none of my future mh's will ever be purchased from CW.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:04 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveinet View Post
What you seem to be missing is the fact that it was quoted over the phone WITHOUT QUALIFICATIONS. That is a legally binding contract. PERIOD.

The problem is that when he went in to sign the contract, the fine print was added.

You do understand that everything you say is here-say because you were not there. In other words you are making one giant assumption after another. Secondly you seem to be completely unaware that oral contracts are not binding unless both parties stipulate to them. In this case Camping World had a written contract well before this customer contacted them explaining a customary practice of initial estimate, possible increased estimate, final job price.

Nothing was added AFTER he went to sign a contract that was available on their website. At best he can claim ignorance of customary policies and of not reading CW's contract but that does not incriminate CW of any illegal activity and certainly isn't bait and switch.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:05 AM   #27

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveinet View Post

Really???????? Have an example of such a "contract" being enforced in court?
Old 07-06-2014, 09:23 AM   #28

Quote:
As for "working with CW" I met with the general manager. Not only did he call me by the wrong name he treated me like I was scum for questioning their policy. I found it strange that the service writer was very quite border line rude and then the technician was rude, the service manager wouldn't talk to me and then it all came together when I met the general manager he was the king of rude. And you have heard the old saying " It runs down hill"

I will have a w/d installed and it will cost me $200.00 or more but it won't be camping world that will make the $2000.00 for the job. I have owned 4 mh's in the last 3 years so I do spend a lot of money in the mh business. And none of my future mh's will ever be purchased from CW.

Good, so we have established that CW did indeed have to do extra work on your coach therefore the increased estimate was not uncalled for. You don't really have much of a complaint there.

What appears to have really gotten your goat was the way you were treated. So this CW had sucky customer service and treated you like a piece of crap. The bottom line is what is it going to cost you vs them to get what you want.

As you have already said you have lost a days wage, wasted $100 in fuel and had all of this aggrivation. It would have cost you $161 more than you thought and you would have had a new W/D installed in your coach. Instead you are without the W/D, lost wages, and $100 in fuel. Still have to find a shop, spend more fuel money, presumably lose more wages and possibly pay even more than $200 to have it installed and possibly pay more to purchase the W/D which I bet was on sale. Total up how much it has cost you and it might be topping $1000 in extras to show CW. And while I understand that this is being done "on principal" the question is did this kerfuffle hurt you or CW more?

BTW, I have done exactly what you have done too. But in hindsight, especially when I have calmed down after the fact, I realize that I have cut off my own nose.

Again I wish you the best of luck in getting a great W/D installed a great price. And who knows CW may have screwed up the installation (enough stories on here about them doing that) that you may have less headaches in the long run.

Tags
install