Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2014, 07:01 PM   #43

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Shouldn't CW (or any shop) state orally that additional charges may apply after we inspect your RV? They pulled the same thing on me (pre the $39 special days) but didn't inform me of the additional charges before the work was done. When I went to pick up the MH they said "oh by the way, we had to install additional equipment". I haven't had any work done by them since.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2014, 07:05 PM   #44

CW $39.00 will install anything special

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...s/forum/94.cfm

👍

CW. Direct.
Let us know how it goes.
CW Swedesboro, NJ did fine by me.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:34 PM   #45

[QUOTE=mtorres;2123478]Have you heard of Camping Worlds $39.00 will install anything special?

Well that is until you get a phone quote, drive 150 miles 1 way, have a service order written that you sign assuring them you agree to the price, your motor home pulled into the bay and then and only then do they inform you that their $39.00 special is really $200.00.

I would recommend anybody doing business with Camping World to think twice about it. After talking to the GM all he would say is that the disclosure is in the fine print and that the work was not preformed before informing me. He is absolutely correct, the problem is that not only did the service person that quoted me the cost on the phone or the person that wrote the work order tell me about the magic price change.

A days wages lost, $100.00 worth of diesel what a great day you have made it Camping World.[/QUOTE
Nope, read the fine print. It says selected items. Don't blame a company for your oversight.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:37 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
Shouldn't CW (or any shop) state orally that additional charges may apply after we inspect your RV? They pulled the same thing on me (pre the $39 special days) but didn't inform me of the additional charges before the work was done. When I went to pick up the MH they said "oh by the way, we had to install additional equipment". I haven't had any work done by them since.
You are only obligated to pay for what you authorize by signing the work order. If you paid for more without prior authorization by you, consider small claims court.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:41 PM   #47

Quote:
Shouldn't CW (or any shop) state orally that additional charges may apply after we inspect your RV?

Yes, but they say it in writing and that is what happened here. After the inspected the RV and found out that additional labor was needed (the removal of the toilet and wall behind it) they informed the owner and said they would need an additional $161.00 to do the work.

He declined the quote, took his RV back with no work done and no charge and is now complaining about it here. He believes that the $39.00 installation fee should apply to each and every installation and that CW has no right to charge additional fees after they inspect your RV.
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:46 PM   #48

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenNSteph View Post
Yes, but they say it in writing and that is what happened here. After the inspected the RV and found out that additional labor was needed (the removal of the toilet and wall behind it) they informed the owner and said they would need an additional $161.00 to do the work.

He declined the quote, took his RV back with no work done and no charge and is now complaining about it here. He believes that the $39.00 installation fee should apply to each and every installation and that CW has no right to charge additional fees after they inspect your RV.
That is not what he said at all. He said if they had orally told him that there would maybe be extra charges he would have been OK. Read his posts again.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 08:12 PM   #49

I don't care if it was free installation I would not let them near my Rig.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:22 PM   #50

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Same here

I would not trust them to install a roll of toilet paper.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:29 PM   #51

Quote:
That is not what he said at all. He said if they had orally told him that there would maybe be extra charges he would have been OK. Read his posts again.

Here-say is irrelevant.

What is legal and binding is the written contract and CW has it posted on the internet for all to see. The written contract has been posted several times here by myself and others, please read it so you can understand the crux of the issue: Here it is, again:

"Installation Fees

Installation Fees shown cover labor charges for standard installation. Some installations require additional material and labor charges and are quoted upon inspection. A standard supply charge is added to each work order."

CW did tell him there may be additional charges in writing, that is legal and binding, then they informed him after an inspection that his coach did in fact require additional labor. The fact that he did not read the contract is not the fault of CW.
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 01:46 AM   #52

Quote:
You do understand that everything you say is here-say because you were not there. In other words you are making one giant assumption after another. Secondly you seem to be completely unaware that oral contracts are not binding unless both parties stipulate to them.
A verbal agreement is absolutely binding in court. There may be difficulty proving it, but it is absolutely binding.
Quote:
In this case Camping World had a written contract well before this customer contacted them explaining a customary practice of initial estimate, possible increased estimate, final job price.
So I have a contract already written, prior to your post that if you quote me, you owe me 25 bucks - so pay up
Quote:
Nothing was added AFTER he went to sign a contract that was available on their website. At best he can claim ignorance of customary policies and of not reading CW's contract but that does not incriminate CW of any illegal activity and certainly isn't bait and switch.
Just because CW has a policy and states it on their website, doesn't mean that one has been informed of that policy as part of the verbal agreement.
As far as assumptions in your 2nd sentence, let the evidence show from a couple of posters that strongly emphasizing the $39.00 installation fee without qualification is common practice for CW.

BTY: Do a quick Google search on "verbal agreement binding". You will find my argument has been completely consistent with contract law. A telephone conversation is legally binding.
Old 07-07-2014, 07:09 AM   #53

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
OK by me

I haven't read all the posts here, but I want to chime in on my experience. CW not always my favorite, but was in there one day and looked at a replacement fabric for my main awning and talked to guy at service desk about it. I got some prices on line and the local RV shop wanted almost 200 to install. Service manager at CW called me a week later to tell me they had a special replacement fabric sale, any size awning fabric for a certain price, don't recall exactly, and that he could get for me even though mine had the weather shield. Summation, got new fabric for the quoted price and $39 for install. Great work, done as promised when promised. My final cost was about 1/4 of what I was looking at by online order and local install.

Just sayin..............
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 07:16 AM   #54

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Here-say is irrelevant.

Installation Fees shown cover labor charges for standard installation. Some installations require additional material and labor charges and are quoted upon inspection. A standard supply charge is added to each work order."

CW did tell him there may be additional charges in writing, that is legal and binding, then they informed him after an inspection that his coach did in fact require additional labor. The fact that he did not read the contract is not the fault of CW.
Here is what is written on the work order:

Camping World courtesy inspection 0.00
Splendide 2100XC Washer Dryer Combo-white 1199.88
Install Splendide 2100XC Washer Dryer Combo-white 223.00
GS install Discount, Splendide 2100XC Washer Dryer Combo
-white #WD2100XC $39.00 - 1115 -(184.00)
Vent Kit 49.00

Now you tell me if there is a question if I have it in writing?
Old 07-07-2014, 08:47 AM   #55

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtorres View Post

Vent Kit 49.00

This appears to be very straight forward. CW wrote up the work order stating the charges. With their experience and knowledge I expect they should know the issues surrounding the installation of a W/D in a MH which would include removal and reinstallation of the toilet. If they don't know you may be in the wrong place.

CW may have a point if the toilet had been installed in a new location or the owner had installed something like a complex shelving unit around the toilet. If the toilet was there from the get go it is part of the installation of a W/D. Removing the toilet, the only thing they should charge for is a new gasket which should be replaced just because.

A similar example would be going to GM, Ford or Chrysler to have the brakes replaced and then having them charge you extra to remove and replace the wheels. Something extra would be finding cracked brake lines. Replacing the brake lines would be an extra, not the wheels.

Assuming the W/D location was a standard installation behind a toilet that was a standard installation I say SHAME camping world.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:47 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtorres View Post
Vent Kit 49.00
mtorres
Since that is what CW wrote your total cost should have been $1287.88, + any applicable taxes... (1199.88 + $39.00 + 49.00 = $1287.88).
IMO, any additional charges are a bait and switch tactic, (which is not uncommon at Camping World).
You where smart, (and right), to walk away.

As you have seen, it's impossible to convince a CW lover that CW is not the best, least expensive, most honest place to buy RV parts and accessories and/or have installations or other work done.
There are "None so deaf as those that will not hear, and "none so blind as those that will not see"....(and"There's a sucker born every minute").
Anyone not intelligent enough to heed your warning deserves to pay through the nose.

Thanks for the informative useful information.
Mel
'96 Safari

Tags
install