Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-23-2014, 03:06 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 3
Damon Coach battery issue

I have a 2000 Damon Ultrasport, with a freightliner chassis, one slide, 37.5 length. I was having some year end maintainance performed on it by a relative (mechanic) who informed me the coach batteries were weak and needed replaced. He had a couple of helpers remove the batteries and I picked them up and bought two new ones at NAPA. They were re-installed and after a short time storage i went to put a charger on them and they wouldnt charge. I believe NAPA gave me 12 volt batteries and Im not sure what was in there as I exchanged them believing I was getting the same new batteries in return. Im not sure if this coach has a 24v coach battery system as they had them connected in sequence making it a 24v system, or should have been two 6v batteries tied together to make a 12v system. Im not even sure if it is a twelve volt system or if they should have been wired in sequence. I talked to the guys who took them out and they "THINK" they put them back in right. I can find no info online as to what system should be in my coach. Anybody out there with my type of Coach able to help? Thanks for any advice!
__________________

__________________
ohsomanytoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2014, 03:46 PM   #2
Registered User
 
mel s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 8,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsomanytoys View Post
I have a 2000 Damon Ultrasport, with a freightliner chassis, one slide, 37.5 length. I was having some year end maintainance performed on it by a relative (mechanic) who informed me the coach batteries were weak and needed replaced. He had a couple of helpers remove the batteries and I picked them up and bought two new ones at NAPA. They were re-installed and after a short time storage i went to put a charger on them and they wouldnt charge. I believe NAPA gave me 12 volt batteries and Im not sure what was in there as I exchanged them believing I was getting the same new batteries in return. Im not sure if this coach has a 24v coach battery system as they had them connected in sequence making it a 24v system, or should have been two 6v batteries tied together to make a 12v system. Im not even sure if it is a twelve volt system or if they should have been wired in sequence. I talked to the guys who took them out and they "THINK" they put them back in right. I can find no info online as to what system should be in my coach. Anybody out there with my type of Coach able to help? Thanks for any advice!
ohsomanytoys

Unfortunately, in my experience, far to many "experts" only "THINK" they know what they are doing, (but they've never failed to charge ridiculously high prices for work they "thought" they did right).

As far as I know few coaches have 24V systems, although I have seen "commercially converted" buses and some "homemade" RVs that do.

Hopefully someone with a similar coach will be able to help you with some correct answers to your perplexing problem.

Good luck.
Mel
'96 Safari, 132k miles
__________________

__________________
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:06 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
BFlinn181's Avatar
 
Gulf Streamers Club
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 16,263


Your coach battery system is 12 v. Probably your chassis system is 12 v also, as Mel said, usually only bus or truck conversions might have a 24 v system, but not a 2000 Damon. You might be able to figure out what was there by looking at the cables, but you might call your relative mechanic and ask what was pulled out. You could also look at the bulbs and accessories and see if they are all 12 v.

The reason you might not have been able to charge the 1st set of new batteries is they were wired together incorrectly.

Often the 12 v is created by two 6 v deep cycle batteries wired together in series, or two 12 v deep cycle batteries wired in parallel. Both configurations gives 12 v with more amps. Check to see if your NAPA batteries are deep cycle or starting batteries. Starting batteries are measured in 'cold cranking amps' and give the big oomph to start an engine. Deep cycle are designed to give 12 v power to run lights, furnace, etc. but don't like high amp draw needed to start the engine. You might have to make a 3rd trip back to NAPA for the proper batteries.
__________________

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:53 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 3
Damon Coach battery issue

Thank you for your help. Me, being a newbie, didnt know if it was normal to have a 24v system(coach batteries) which is how they re-installed the batteries. I pay close attention when I take things apart but because I let someone else remove the batteries as I assumed they knew what they were doing. Hopefully I can return the batteries for new ones as they are still in the 90 day replacement period. I will install the new ones correctly. The current batteries now will only charge if wired together (24v) as I have them out. Trying to charge them individually on a 12v charger now gets nowhere as the charger reads dead. I will keep you posted.
__________________
ohsomanytoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:44 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
gemini5362's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsomanytoys View Post
Thank you for your help. Me, being a newbie, didnt know if it was normal to have a 24v system(coach batteries) which is how they re-installed the batteries. I pay close attention when I take things apart but because I let someone else remove the batteries as I assumed they knew what they were doing. Hopefully I can return the batteries for new ones as they are still in the 90 day replacement period. I will install the new ones correctly. The current batteries now will only charge if wired together (24v) as I have them out. Trying to charge them individually on a 12v charger now gets nowhere as the charger reads dead. I will keep you posted.
Did you try to turn on anything while they were connected as 24 volts. Some things wont like having 24 volts power instead of 12.
__________________
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:39 AM   #6
Registered User
 
mel s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 8,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
Did you try to turn on anything while they were connected as 24 volts. Some things wont like having 24 volts power instead of 12.
gemini

Some 12VDC things will burn out, (aka; no longer work on 12V), after 24V has been used on them.
Mel
__________________
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 11:07 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
BFlinn181's Avatar
 
Gulf Streamers Club
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 16,263
The only things that are connected full time would be the thermostat, converter/charger,and inverter, (if equipped) steps (if on house power) and bedroom radio, perhaps CO and LP detectors. If the furnace, A/C, refrig, water heater were left off, they might be O.K. ohsomanytoys will have to check every lightbulb and system after getting 12v hooked up properly. If lucky, some of the above systems were protected by CB or fuses that might have tripped by the higher voltage.
__________________

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:35 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 13
I have a 2001 Ultrasport. Contact me at 901 833 2512 and I can help you on the wiring on your batteries. Mike
__________________
Dj Michaels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 04:58 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 3
problem solved

Thanks to all who replied! Looks like I had two 6v batteries after all, and they were wired properly, saving me from the dreaded problems that 24v would have caused. It now appears to be just a dead cell in one of the 6v batteries! Again, Thanks for all the help. Its nice to know there is a place like iRV2 to get advice from folks who really care!
__________________

__________________
ohsomanytoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
battery, damon



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Palazzo Battery Monitor Install (Magnum ME-BMK) Redridge Palazzo Motorhomes 6 09-17-2014 07:30 AM
Chassis Battery Charging Issue (I think) apexer MH-General Discussions & Problems 17 07-25-2014 03:19 PM
RV of the Year Awarded to Thor Motor Coach Class A RUV Motorhomes DriVer RV Industry Press 0 12-12-2013 01:00 PM
Symptoms of a dead battery greatlakes Cummins Engines 1 11-26-2013 11:41 AM
American Coach: Late model coach issues ?? Powerdriver Fleetwood Products Owner's Forum 28 09-16-2013 09:34 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.