Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2014, 02:06 PM   #1

Damon Coach battery issue

I have a 2000 Damon Ultrasport, with a freightliner chassis, one slide, 37.5 length. I was having some year end maintainance performed on it by a relative (mechanic) who informed me the coach batteries were weak and needed replaced. He had a couple of helpers remove the batteries and I picked them up and bought two new ones at NAPA. They were re-installed and after a short time storage i went to put a charger on them and they wouldnt charge. I believe NAPA gave me 12 volt batteries and Im not sure what was in there as I exchanged them believing I was getting the same new batteries in return. Im not sure if this coach has a 24v coach battery system as they had them connected in sequence making it a 24v system, or should have been two 6v batteries tied together to make a 12v system. Im not even sure if it is a twelve volt system or if they should have been wired in sequence. I talked to the guys who took them out and they "THINK" they put them back in right. I can find no info online as to what system should be in my coach. Anybody out there with my type of Coach able to help? Thanks for any advice!
ohsomanytoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2014, 02:46 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsomanytoys View Post
I have a 2000 Damon Ultrasport, with a freightliner chassis, one slide, 37.5 length. I was having some year end maintainance performed on it by a relative (mechanic) who informed me the coach batteries were weak and needed replaced. He had a couple of helpers remove the batteries and I picked them up and bought two new ones at NAPA. They were re-installed and after a short time storage i went to put a charger on them and they wouldnt charge. I believe NAPA gave me 12 volt batteries and Im not sure what was in there as I exchanged them believing I was getting the same new batteries in return. Im not sure if this coach has a 24v coach battery system as they had them connected in sequence making it a 24v system, or should have been two 6v batteries tied together to make a 12v system. Im not even sure if it is a twelve volt system or if they should have been wired in sequence. I talked to the guys who took them out and they "THINK" they put them back in right. I can find no info online as to what system should be in my coach. Anybody out there with my type of Coach able to help? Thanks for any advice!
ohsomanytoys

Unfortunately, in my experience, far to many "experts" only "THINK" they know what they are doing, (but they've never failed to charge ridiculously high prices for work they "thought" they did right).

As far as I know few coaches have 24V systems, although I have seen "commercially converted" buses and some "homemade" RVs that do.

Hopefully someone with a similar coach will be able to help you with some correct answers to your perplexing problem.

Good luck.
Mel
'96 Safari, 132k miles
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:06 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club

Your coach battery system is 12 v. Probably your chassis system is 12 v also, as Mel said, usually only bus or truck conversions might have a 24 v system, but not a 2000 Damon. You might be able to figure out what was there by looking at the cables, but you might call your relative mechanic and ask what was pulled out. You could also look at the bulbs and accessories and see if they are all 12 v.

The reason you might not have been able to charge the 1st set of new batteries is they were wired together incorrectly.

Often the 12 v is created by two 6 v deep cycle batteries wired together in series, or two 12 v deep cycle batteries wired in parallel. Both configurations gives 12 v with more amps. Check to see if your NAPA batteries are deep cycle or starting batteries. Starting batteries are measured in 'cold cranking amps' and give the big oomph to start an engine. Deep cycle are designed to give 12 v power to run lights, furnace, etc. but don't like high amp draw needed to start the engine. You might have to make a 3rd trip back to NAPA for the proper batteries.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:53 PM   #4

Damon Coach battery issue

Thank you for your help. Me, being a newbie, didnt know if it was normal to have a 24v system(coach batteries) which is how they re-installed the batteries. I pay close attention when I take things apart but because I let someone else remove the batteries as I assumed they knew what they were doing. Hopefully I can return the batteries for new ones as they are still in the 90 day replacement period. I will install the new ones correctly. The current batteries now will only charge if wired together (24v) as I have them out. Trying to charge them individually on a 12v charger now gets nowhere as the charger reads dead. I will keep you posted.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:44 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsomanytoys View Post
Thank you for your help. Me, being a newbie, didnt know if it was normal to have a 24v system(coach batteries) which is how they re-installed the batteries. I pay close attention when I take things apart but because I let someone else remove the batteries as I assumed they knew what they were doing. Hopefully I can return the batteries for new ones as they are still in the 90 day replacement period. I will install the new ones correctly. The current batteries now will only charge if wired together (24v) as I have them out. Trying to charge them individually on a 12v charger now gets nowhere as the charger reads dead. I will keep you posted.
Did you try to turn on anything while they were connected as 24 volts. Some things wont like having 24 volts power instead of 12.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
Did you try to turn on anything while they were connected as 24 volts. Some things wont like having 24 volts power instead of 12.
gemini

Some 12VDC things will burn out, (aka; no longer work on 12V), after 24V has been used on them.
Mel
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:07 AM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
The only things that are connected full time would be the thermostat, converter/charger,and inverter, (if equipped) steps (if on house power) and bedroom radio, perhaps CO and LP detectors. If the furnace, A/C, refrig, water heater were left off, they might be O.K. ohsomanytoys will have to check every lightbulb and system after getting 12v hooked up properly. If lucky, some of the above systems were protected by CB or fuses that might have tripped by the higher voltage.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:35 PM   #8

I have a 2001 Ultrasport. Contact me at 901 833 2512 and I can help you on the wiring on your batteries. Mike
Dj Michaels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 03:58 PM   #9

problem solved

Thanks to all who replied! Looks like I had two 6v batteries after all, and they were wired properly, saving me from the dreaded problems that 24v would have caused. It now appears to be just a dead cell in one of the 6v batteries! Again, Thanks for all the help. Its nice to know there is a place like iRV2 to get advice from folks who really care!

Tags
battery, damon