Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2015, 04:43 PM   #1

Damon Intruder

Hi, new member have a 95 winnebago brave but getting close to retirement and was thinking about buying a 2004 damon intruder from a local resident...has always been kept indoors and has 22,000 miles...It has three slideouts and fits my bill to a tee...my question is that it has a ford triton v10 on a ford chasis, I have always had a chevy powertrain and chasis....any problems on the ford chasis for that year model....thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2015, 06:53 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Had a Damon V10 and loved it with No Problems. At that time I came from a Chevy. Since then I am on my second V10. The only thing I would have added IF I knew about it is the 5 Star Tune for V10 engines.

cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 06:54 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Our Damon has the Workhorse chassis, but the Ford was the standard chassis in most all mid-2000 Damons.
Haven't heard any chonic complaints, and since they are in many thousands of RV's from all makers, I am sure someone will be right along with some advice.

And just FYI, Ford's F53 is the only gas powered RV chassis currently available in North America. If you did want to find a Workhorse (GM 8.1L/Allison) powered Damon, models up to 2010 had it as an option.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 10:33 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Damon Thumbs Up!

I have a 2001 Intruder (V10 F53) which I bought in July 2013. Had 52K miles when I got it. Has always run very well since and I would not hesitate to buy another. Minor fixes like replacing antifreeze recovery tank and locating a leaking vacuum line, which any vehicle could have. My gas mileage is much better than my 89 Winnebago Warrior P30. Having a 2000's era trans with some extra gears is a great help to fuel mileage from the old 454.
In the Forums here on IRV2.com you will find a "Ford Chassis" forum. It is specific to us F53 folks and has a lot of Ford specific information. Lots of helpful tips and advice on upgrades, tweaks, repairs, etc.
Good Luck with your new ride!!
mus289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 07:06 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
About that time Ford had an issue with spark plugs popping out,, There was a recall or TSB (TSB I think) that covers it, That is the only major issue I know of, and I'm not sure of the period it covered exactly.

I, like you, am a Chevy Fan.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:32 AM   #6

Thanks everyone for the great advice...Looking forward to the threads and good advice.....
Old 03-18-2015, 04:20 PM   #7

Just bought a 04 intruder, like new but havent taken delivery yet, but was wondering if the side mirror mounts move...my present rv cover is only 10 foot wide and need to know if I need to have the post moved...the winnebago brave I have mirrors will swivel in...thanks for any info. robert.
Old 03-18-2015, 04:46 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Both Fords and Chevys of that era had an issue or two.. Check (By VIN) for any recalls at a Recall site... And check with FORD to see if they have been done.

As I recall the Triton of that era liked to launch spark plugs into orbit..Easy fix.. Ford should still be doing it for free.

My Inruder is a 2005 377W Like it very much, only one complaint and one of these days I'll get around to fixing it (And what makes it worse is I could have fixed it before it was made)... Simple 5 bolt fix. Just got to get the part. (I want a different style of Sea-Land Toilet is all)

Oh,, and the idiot who came up with the idea of carpet under the toilet....

(Well that was even easier to fix... Scrap lumber and a bottle of stain-sealer)
Old 03-19-2015, 01:54 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbust View Post
Just bought a 04 intruder, like new but havent taken delivery yet, but was wondering if the side mirror mounts move...my present rv cover is only 10 foot wide and need to know if I need to have the post moved...the winnebago brave I have mirrors will swivel in...thanks for any info. robert.
Congrats on your purchase. I also have an 04 Intruder that I bought in November of 2013. I love it!

Here is a picture of mine after I had it repainted.

Power is great, so are the brakes. Gas mileage is OK at best, not bad, not good. But then again if you have to ask about the cost of the gas, you don't need an RV!

Happy trails.

mauricedorri is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
damon