Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2014, 09:37 AM   #1

Question Damon Tuscany 4055 Engine Air Intake.

We came across a really nice 2007 Damon (Thor) Tuscany 4055 recently that has only about 12K miles on it and in almost new shape as it's been stored in a heated aircraft hanger when not in use.

We realize even with the low mileage there could be other issues with a coach that's over 7 years old that we plan to pursue in due course. But before doing our usual due diligence when purchasing any coach being new or used, there is one issue with this particular coach that has me scratching my head as to why the engineers would design the coach with the clean air intake for the engine directly behind the street-side rear wheel (see photo) when most manufacturers usually design the intake as high as possible to get cleaner air. I jokingly asked the owner if the coach came with a lifetime supply of engine air filters and he said he never had any issues with it.

I thought it possible I could find some advice from those of you on this forum familiar with this issue in particular or the Tuscany line in general. We don't know much about the Damon Tuscany line of 7 years ago as we have had gas coaches up to now. I would appreciate any comments from anyone - especially 4055 owners - as to this air intake issue or other issue they have found in regards to the 2007 Tuscany line in general.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2007 Tuscany 4055.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	57226  
Mudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2014, 10:09 AM   #2

Engine air

I have a new tuscany XTE with the 6.7 engine, the air intake is high near the rear of the coach. My problem is the filter minder always reads high, with a new filter it still reads high.

In your case check the filter minder, it probably has not been reset. If it has been reset the coach will needs to be run at highway speeds to check the condition of the filter or pull the filter and check/replace it. The location of your intake looks like it could pick up road spray in rain and snow. In any case the filter minder is a good indication of the filter. Looks like in your case the filter is easy to get to, mine is a big PITA.

Also what engine does it have? 6.7 or 8.3, my 6.7 is rated at 360hp and does very well pulling a 3500# trailer. The coach looks in good condition, you need information from more owners.

Dave
McGalliard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 08:13 PM   #3

I've got a Damon coach with a similar air intake location.

I'm on my 4th air filter in 35000 miles, which seems excessive to me.

I don't know if the reason is:

a) hypersensitive sensor, causing me to replace the filter unnecessarily.
b) driving in conditions that were dustier than they seemed to be.
or
c)the location of your air intake

???????
bobguigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 08:42 PM   #4

If you like the floor plan I would consider frequent filter replacements only a minor annoyance. Agreed not optimal location, but wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

I hate to get this thread on the wrong track, but for me being a rear radiator is a much bigger downside then the air intake location.

Coach looks very clean. If the deal is right and you like the overall quality you may have found a gem.

Chris
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGalliard01 View Post
I have a new tuscany XTE with the 6.7 engine, the air intake is high near the rear of the coach. My problem is the filter minder always reads high, with a new filter it still reads high.

In your case check the filter minder, it probably has not been reset. If it has been reset the coach will needs to be run at highway speeds to check the condition of the filter or pull the filter and check/replace it. The location of your intake looks like it could pick up road spray in rain and snow. In any case the filter minder is a good indication of the filter. Looks like in your case the filter is easy to get to, mine is a big PITA.

Also what engine does it have? 6.7 or 8.3, my 6.7 is rated at 360hp and does very well pulling a 3500# trailer. The coach looks in good condition, you need information from more owners.

Dave
This coach has the Cat C-7 350HP engine.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by akeyzoo View Post
If you like the floor plan I would consider frequent filter replacements only a minor annoyance. Agreed not optimal location, but wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

I hate to get this thread on the wrong track, but for me being a rear radiator is a much bigger downside then the air intake location.

Coach looks very clean. If the deal is right and you like the overall quality you may have found a gem.

Chris
Thanks for your advice.
I agree with you on the engine intake filter issue as I feel somewhat the same way in that a few extra filters along the way isn't going to break the bank. I was mainly putting my query out there mainly to hear how other owners approach the issue.

The rear radiator vs side radiator issue is another point well taken. However, it may be another cross to bear as coaches with side radiators are usually much higher in price point. WBO, Thor and a few others don't even offer a side radiator even in their 2014 lineup.

Actually, the main reason I posted this thread was to get some input from Tuscany 4055 owners as their opinion on the overall quality of the coach and other issues they may have encountered along the way.

Thanks for your help.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:13 AM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jdoc
I would not trust the filter minder. The best thing to do is to check the air filter now and if you decided to buy the coach check the air filter after driving about 2500 miles. A lot depends on the conditions you drive in. For instance, where we are in west Texas I try not get my coach out when the wind is blowing over 20 mph. When the wind gets that high or higher we tend have sand storms. Those are no fun to be in and they tend to get the air filter dirty real quick. I check my air filter once a year whether it needs or not. If I feel like it needs changing I change it. If I feel like it is good I will then check it again in a couple of months or depending on how many trips I have made and what the conditions were during that time. Once I actually went 2 years before I changed it.

akeyzoo, my coach, like many others, has the rear radiator. I have never had a bit of trouble with it. The thing to remember here is keep it washed out. I have a high pressure washer that I use to keep it clean.

Jerry

Tags
damon