Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2009, 10:32 AM   #1

Question Damon vs. Monaco vs. Winnebago $$$

we have narrowed our search down to a Tuscany vs. Knight vs. Journey (all are diesel) and will be visiiting a dealer later this week to look at each one more time. I have posted a question regarding the chassis of each on a different forum but am looking for some insight as to how much we should be able to bargain down the dealer....any thoughts? Also anyone with any insight on any of the brands--your thoughts would be very much appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2009, 12:50 PM   #2
doc

Appalachian Campers
We owned an Itasca Horizon before we bought the current Damon. No comparison of the fit and finish. Damon is certainly the winner. Looked at Monaco before we brought the Damon, but was not that impressed. Both the present and previous coaches were on Freightliner chassis. Very nice ride and very dependable service network through out the nation. We are sitting at the factory shop iin Gaffney as I type this right now. Service and then off to mayberry with the other SE area IRV2ers.
Our first MH years ago was on the Spartan chassis. It seemed and was weak in the HP department.
Bottom liine is we found more bang for the buck with Damon. The Damon of today is not the same Damon of several years ago.

Old 04-16-2009, 03:44 PM   #3

You might also remember that the Knight was produced by Monaco who is currently in bankruptcy. Isn't the Tuscany also gone? The Journey is the low end diesel from Winnebago, as is the Knight from Monaco. The Journey is on a freightliner chassis while I believe the Knight is on the chassis from Monaco/Navistar. Chassis issues should be no particular problem. We've always been very satisified with Winnebago's service and dealer network, while on the road and at home.
robbstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 04:27 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
We have a 2007 Tuscany and would take it hands over either of the other two you mentioned. The fit and finish and the Freightliner chassis have been absolutely wonderful the two years we have had it.

Bottom line is find the floor plan you like the best and go from there. But do beware of the Knight. Our local dealer also has Monaco coaches all over the place. They cannot get service from Monaco right now (they won't even answer the phone the service guy told me) and they cannot sell them.

The Tuscany is not the bottom end diesel pusher from Damon. It is the middle level (Astoria, Tuscany then Essence). It has most anything you would want in a pusher.

Of course I am extermely biased in this opinion because we have such a great coach and have had almost no issues. We have basically just put 16K miles on it and use it as much as we can.
The Woodieboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 05:29 PM   #5

If i will have another chance to buy a DP, i would 100% buy MANDALAY. They are super good. I have a friend who has an '06. I always go with him all the time and i never hear him any complain at all.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:07 PM   #6

No experience here with Thor products, but some things I would be asking have to do, not with "fit & finish", but underlying construction and documentation. Winnebago follows the automotive & truck industry protocol, in areas such as bedding the windshield into a steel frame which is part of the cab. It does not "float", pop out when you are leveling or driving on an angled driveway entrance, and it doesn't crack. The driver/passenger cab area is a welded steel cage, which is designed to remain intact during a rollover. All of the wires in the motorhome are inividually and uniqely numbered, and stamped every 6", and complete wiring diagrams are made available to the owner at no charge, (as are the plumbing diagrams, etc). All cabinets and appliances are bolted thru the steel frame. I saw a Winnebago video years ago, showing an inverted drop-test on to concrete, from 10 feet. Everything stayed together; cabinets, appliances, sidewalls, roof. I was impressed.

Do the other manufacturers you are considering, offer this? I don't know, but I'd want to before I buy. Anything can be made to look good inside, but what's underneath it all?
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 06:32 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Before you lay your dollars down, you may wish to throw Tiffin's Allegro Red and Phaeton into the mix for consideration. Tiffin answers the phone, except on weekends.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:38 AM   #8

I have a 2000 Damon Ultrasport which became the Astoria and have had excellent performance and reliability. Since that time I have read experiences about serious Damon lemons that were not resolved by the warranty. There are indications that Thor which owns Damon has made significant improvements in this situation. The Damon MHs have excellent floor plans and decor. As for maintenance, they don't measure up to the upscale MHs such as Newmar. For example, the service points for fuses, plumbing, and wiring have much easier access on Newmar MHs. Perhaps Tiffin, Monaco, and Winnebago also provide this. I don't intend to trade or move up but I would surely look for ease of maintenance on any future purchase. It is the last thing a buyer would look at unless he or she is experienced and does their own maintenance.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 01:17 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Woodieboys View Post
We have a 2007 Tuscany and would take it hands over either of the other two you mentioned. The fit and finish and the Freightliner chassis have been absolutely wonderful the two years we have had it.

Bottom line is find the floor plan you like the best and go from there. But do beware of the Knight. Our local dealer also has Monaco coaches all over the place. They cannot get service from Monaco right now (they won't even answer the phone the service guy told me) and they cannot sell them.

The Tuscany is not the bottom end diesel pusher from Damon. It is the middle level (Astoria, Tuscany then Essence). It has most anything you would want in a pusher.

Of course I am extermely biased in this opinion because we have such a great coach and have had almost no issues. We have basically just put 16K miles on it and use it as much as we can.

as a new guy to the damon world we just took delivery of a new 2008 tuscany, it may be the middle of their lineup for pushers, with the essence at the top...but i looked at both side by side, other than price you would be hard pressed to pick em apart.

i am very pleased with the price and value.... but i did just get a heck of a deal to
i am biased now to
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:59 AM   #10

thank you everyone for replying to my post.....as it turned out we happened upon a super deal for a Diplomat SKQ and could not beat the price with anything else. Floor plan is fantastic and everything on my checklist was there. Hope you all have a great camping season!
Old 04-20-2009, 11:40 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats of the new Diplomat - it is an excellent coach! Enjoy!!!
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 02:39 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thumbs up

Congratulations on your new coach. Don't let the tires go bad from sitting still.

historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote