Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2015, 01:50 PM   #1

Damon vs Tiffin

Hi everyone. Getting ready to purchase first MH and I'd love some advice from veteran rv'ers out there. I'm looking at an '07 Damon challenger with 20k miles, rubber roof. Needs all new tires and currently no extended warranty. Also looking at an '08 tiffin allegro 34tga, uncertain what type of roof, all new tires and comes with 2 1/2 year warranty. Price is 20k more. I plan on being 90% full time with my 3 daughters. I like the floorplan of the '07 and its 4' longer, more budget friendly. I like the quality of the tiffin and the floorplan is good enough. Would love to hear opinions. Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2015, 02:10 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You can get new tires, have the roof resealed and but an extended warrantee for less than $20K. How do the chassis and engine compare in GVW and power? How do suspensions compare? Condition of awning material? Any added options like steering stabilizer, rear track bar, front and rear anti-sway bars, air bags? Either RVs have exterior body damage? Do both operate on regular gas? Did you Compare NADA Book $ value for each. Did each receive their 5 year/50K mile major service? Have you taken both out on a test drive on side roads and freeway with passenger in back to evaluate ride and listen for noise?

Old 02-06-2015, 02:12 PM   #3

After all the research we did I would take the Tiffin hands down over the Thor. You get what you pay for and the Tiffin is much better quality. Do your research thoroughly before you decide, we took about two years. Not that it needs to take you that long but if you rush into something you may very likely end with a MH that doesn't meet your needs or find you could have gotten a much better MH for the money spent.

What I did was read all the forums on this web site and see what people liked/didn't like about their's, quality issues, how often they broke down and what was the reason, maintenance issues, ect. After that you will be able to start defining what is quality to you, it may be price, or peace of mind that it's a quality built unit, customer service ect. Then go out and drive as many that you can and you will soon develop even more of a sense of quality, and what floorplans best meet your needs. Also make sure you consider all the brands in your pricepoint.

Lastly don't be afraid to travel to get the best MH for your money. Always offer them at least 15-20% less than they are asking and then negotiate from there. You would not believe the mark up on these when you are buying from a dealer. You can also buy an extended warranty on a used MH from several sources, even if you buy private party. Good luck in your search and remember looking for one is half the fun.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 02:18 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

There will be strong brand loyaltys here on iRV2, so please take that into account with any replies.

That's a real big price point difference for 1 model year...does the Tiffin have the optional Frightliner Front Engine Diesel?

Both makers will provide a good product and floor plan is generally the biggest factor to consider...and I submit that the years that have passed since the RV's were new are more important than any brand reputation. TLC over the last 7-8 years is very important to your enjoyment.

Any warranty on a 7 year old RV will be just an insurance policy purchased in the past that is now being advertised as transferrable...something that needs research (deductable/coverage/accepted service locations/etc.).

Best luck and safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 08:46 PM   #5

We own a 2010 Damon Astoria.

Buy the Tiffin!!!

I could probably list 50 different replacements, adjustments etc......connected to sloppy installation.
Old 02-07-2015, 08:25 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We own a 2011 Damon Challenger. Buy the Challenger!!

Bronk
Old 02-07-2015, 08:45 AM   #7

Full disclosure, I own a Tiffin. One thing you might think about is how the companies support their products, and I do not know this answer for Damon so you will need to research. Tiffin does an outstanding job of after-sale support and offers their customers who can travel to Red Bay, AL many, many services and fixes for free. Sounds like you might be in the mode to do something like that if needed.

Does Damon do anything similar?

Total initial quality on our Tiffin has been very high - this is our first one and when I compare it to all of the other rigs I have had it stands our very much above the others. Of course they are more expensive and command a higher price but maybe you get what you pay for in this instance.

Just some things to think about - good luck with your decision!

Greg
Old 02-07-2015, 08:54 AM   #8

Never owned either brand. But from reading this and other forums If those are your two choices then Tiffin. I can think of a few better brands than both of those. JMHO
1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 11:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronk View Post
We own a 2011 Damon Challenger. Buy the Challenger!!

Bronk
It's funny you say that because I was just looking at a 2011 close to home. Thinking of throwing the '07 off my plate. It's a bunkhouse. What type of roof does it have? Have you guys had any issues?
Old 02-07-2015, 11:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post

There will be strong brand loyaltys here on iRV2, so please take that into account with any replies.

That's a real big price point difference for 1 model year...does the Tiffin have the optional Frightliner Front Engine Diesel?

Both makers will provide a good product and floor plan is generally the biggest factor to consider...and I submit that the years that have passed since the RV's were new are more important than any brand reputation. TLC over the last 7-8 years is very important to your enjoyment.

Any warranty on a 7 year old RV will be just an insurance policy purchased in the past that is now being advertised as transferrable...something that needs research (deductable/coverage/accepted service locations/etc.).

Best luck and safe travels
They are both actually gas models. I've ruled the tiffin out because it's on the west coast and I'm on the east. So after looking at the hassle of getting it here, it's going to be too hard on the budget. It's so hard to determine how well they were taken care of and that's why I'm so nervous about these older units. Some are just obvious but unless you have ALL the maintenance records and drive history in front of you, it's a gamble. I had an '07 challenger recently inspected in tx and I had to walk away because of delamination that wasn't obvious in the pics. I would like the next rig I pick to be the last inspection I have to pay for.
Old 02-07-2015, 11:50 PM   #11

I would love a tiffin but I need a bunkhouse and in my price point (60k), they're so hard to find. There is just sooooo much to consider that every time I think I've made a decision, I freeze. Rubber roof vs fiberglass, what chassis is it on, floorplan, where is it located and it goes on and on and on. Then I read the forums and the horror stories freak me out. I've had an '07 challenger inspected in tx. When the report came back, I learned all about delamination, lol. Then there was a Newmar I was ready to buy and found a thread in a Newmar forum where the guy was complaining about a lemon he bought. Guess what? I realized it was the coach I was getting ready to buy. I'm not kidding.

So what is a good solid coach? Is construction on the majority of them that bad? I like the Winn sightseer but the big drawer on the bottom bunk takes away quite a bit of headspace from my dd. Trust me, I've done tons of research, gone to many rv shows, dealers, etc and the more I learn the more confused I get. The journey I'm about to embark on came with a ton of changes and sacrifices. We sat on the housing market for 8 months and finally sold and downsized from 4400 sq ft to 1200. We're settled, I have the budget and financing ready but the coach I buy needs to sustain my daughters and I for 2-3 yrs at 90% full time. And of course I want the most for my precious money.
Old 02-08-2015, 12:05 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
At a price point of $60,000 for what you're looking for, expect some likely maintenance costs. Are you handy?
Old 02-08-2015, 12:20 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
I've never owned anything older than 2012 so not much help, but consider the one that appears to be the best layout for you. It's alot of work investigating each brand, and each year. Some years were better , some not , for all makes? If you can find a RV inspection place to take it to, that may help on the decisions.

Take your time, and realize everyone has been through similar,. remember, Don't let the dealers manipulate a sale. The frustrations can make you pull the trigger just to get it over with.

Milage is the most important if you are going to travel a lot. If you are going to be pretty much in one place I'd consider a fifth wheel where you get more for your money, and much newer. Have it towed to your choice.
480w Go Power solar
PeaceOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 12:23 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha99 View Post
At a price point of $60,000 for what you're looking for, expect some likely maintenance costs. Are you handy?
I will become handy in a hurry, we'll be in service bays a lot or I'll pay handy people to help me in the rv parks, lol. I won't be boondocking for a good long while.

Tags
tiffin, damon