Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2016, 03:32 PM   #1

Dangers of getting too cocky

I store my Discovery about a mile from my house. It's a pretty quick pick up when I want to do some work on it. Today I drove it to the house to wax the 2nd half (did the front and passengers side last week). I parked in front of the house where I had some nice shade, turned it off and got to work. Just as I finished the storms started rolling in. I cleaned up my stuff, got in the MH to drive it back and started it up. Immediately I heard an alarm. No air pressure? Nope, that was fine. Some engine alarm? Nope, not that. Finally I realized what it was; I had put the coach in neutral and had shut it down without putting the parking brake on. It had been sitting out in front of the house all day like that. My street has the slightest of inclines and I'm kind of suprised it never started rolling away. I got real lucky and hopefully will learn something.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2016, 03:37 PM   #2

Yikes! Been there, done that ... once ...
bkervaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 04:35 PM   #3

Lucky! I had an experience earlier this year where I had pulled into a sloped spot, turned the coach off of got out to talk to the camp host who was standing right there. As I stepped off the last stair the coach started rolling forward right towards their golf cart. I dove back inside, tripping up the stairs and slammed my foot down on the e-break. Definitely felt stupid after that, and also a bit lucky that nothing worse happened than a bruised shin.
Old 06-18-2016, 05:12 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
I make a habit of applying the park brake before putting the coach in neutral.
Old 06-18-2016, 06:49 PM   #5

" reason I bought a DP is so I can hear that sound when apply the parking brake".
Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 07:09 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice View Post
" reason I bought a DP is so I can hear that sound when apply the parking brake".
a big +1 on that.....and to have the c$#p scared out of you when you're walking by the back end and the air dryer purges.....

Slice, how about when you disconnect the air hose on your garage compressor ..I love that too.

Dan
Old 06-18-2016, 09:14 PM   #7

Quote:
I can think of better reasons to buy a DP.
Old 06-18-2016, 09:28 PM   #8

I have been told that there is a spring system that applies the brakes in the event of no air. I remember seeing truckers applying blocks behind their tires to keep the rig from rolling, but no one does that any more.
Old 06-18-2016, 10:40 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
And I thought it was only me who liked that sound . . .
Old 06-19-2016, 02:31 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeTheWay View Post
I have been told that there is a spring system that applies the brakes in the event of no air. I remember seeing truckers applying blocks behind their tires to keep the rig from rolling, but no one does that any more.
When you push in the brake valve, button, you hear the air rush into the system, and it job is to release the springs that are holding the brake shoes tight against the drums! The air does not apply the brakes, it releases them! When you pull the brake valve, and hear the air go "whosh" it is releasing the air from the brakes, so the springs can do their job!
Your lesson for today! I suggest you do some reading up on your brake system! That is why if you lose your air pressure, and it gets below 60 PSI, your warning light comes on and the buzzer go off! If it continues to lose pressure your brakes will come on, and as the pressure get lower, they will lock up! Unless they are way out of adjustment, and that is another topic. Rail!
Old 06-19-2016, 04:25 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pexring View Post
And I thought it was only me who liked that sound . . .
.... love it!!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 06:27 AM   #12

I have set my parking brake, but left the coach in Drive a couple of times. Not good. The second time I could not figure out why the leveling system was telling me to wait.
Elwood58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 06:55 AM   #13

Anyone ever set the brake when still slightly rolling, to see if they really lockup. How quickly they activate would be interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Mike_Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 07:01 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The only reason is to hear that sound. It has a direct effect on testosterone levels.