Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-07-2016, 07:01 AM   #15

Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
Dark colors reflect less light meaning they absorb it.

Light is heat...

More heat absorbed is more heat load to transfer out via the ac.

I can't stress this too much! AC's will work harder, going down the road, it is questionable whether or not your dash AC will keep the coach cool, so you may have to run the genny and house AC's driving down the road = more fuel consumption, wear and tear on genny and AC's.

Shows more road grime as mentioned.

Shows more scratches as mentioned.

Only plus side I see, except for perhaps personal cosmetic preference, is if you live, and travel in predominantly cold climates, the the darker color scheme may actually work in your favor!

Scot & Laura Kellersberger
2001 Newmar 4 wheel drive Dutch Star 3891, 2005 GMC Canyon. Demco Tow Bar & Baseplate U.S.Army (ret)
1985 - 2006
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2016, 07:09 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Dark colors WILL absorb more sun heat than lighter colors. If you go with darker colors you will be hard pressed to keep the inside cool enough to be comfortable unless your roof has 5-6 A/C's on top.

The roof should be ALL white including the fixtures on top.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

2002 Monaco Windsor PBT 40Ft. (R HOME) - 30Ft. 2006 Pace Trailer (R JUNK). Trailer Has 06 VUE (R TOWD) 04 Victory Alen Ness Edition (R RYDE). Full-Timer for 14 Yr's BUT now a Part-Timer. Cummins ISC-350 With Banks Power Pack and Upgraded PRXB PacBrake.
Winter Home in Flagler Beach FL - Now Staying in Dansville NY for the Summer.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 07:35 AM   #17
Ours is various shades of brown,black,bronze. The AC's keep up fine even in Arizona summers. One thing to consider is the hardness of the water at your primary location. Our water is very hard and will leave deposits on the paint. I ended up buying a Spotless deionizer to avoid the water spots.
2013 DS 4338
2015 F-150 toad with kayaks,bicycles and a Harley in the back
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 11:47 AM   #18
I detest the recent trend of making motorhomes primarily black or darker colors. I believe the manufacturers think it makes it look more high-end like a black limo. My wife had a dark vehicle when we first met, and it was very difficult to keep it looking clean. I would never own a dark vehicle again after that, especially here in dusty and sunny AZ. Just hours after a wash, it would show a collection of fine dust on the finish.
Jeff, Catherine and Turner|2008 Damon Outlaw 3611|W24 w/ 8.1L Chevy hauling in the garage 3 quads,2 dirtbikes,1 Rzr900xp & 1 sewing machine based in central AZ
JeffAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 11:57 AM   #19
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
We've also used an IR thermometer to compare ours vs a friend's with dark paint. Same results as others have mentioned. Also, our grey Bounder rarely shows dirt....it appears clean even when it isn't. I'll always choose light paint over dark.

Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is online now   Reply With Quote

light, paint