Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2016, 08:04 PM   #1

Dark paint or light paint

Choosing the color of my RV and I'm trying to decide if going with a light color vs. A darker color full paint. I like the dark color but worried about the maintenance of cleaning and showing scratches up more than a lighter color. I had one black car before and she looked beautiful when clean but after a few days she looked filthy. Is it the same with a motor home? Any insight would be much appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2016, 08:12 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
At MINIMUM.....make sure the roof line has light colors. If you must have some dark, keep them to a minimum and down low.

As you know the dark colors are harder to maintain and will make the coach hotter, especially along the roof line. I just had my black roof line repainted (two years old) because of heat related issues (cracking).

I thought I could live with my dark colors, but they're a nightmare to keep looking nice.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 08:13 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
To me, dark is a better looking coach, but my dark brown walls get super hot in the sun.
At least the roof is white.

Regards,

Dan
Old 04-06-2016, 08:22 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We chose a lighter color as a personal preference - has turned out to 'disguise' more of the road grime. We boondock a lot so anecdotally I can say the coach stays a little cooler versus a darker color scheme. Recommend you choose what appeals to your sense of style - and enjoy! Safe travels ...
Old 04-06-2016, 08:27 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Agree with the other comments and would add that if your RV has an evaporative fridge, it's cooling capacity will be decreased by the heat generated by the dark color. If the fridge is in a slide and vents through an upper side vent and not the roof, it will be further impacted. We had to install two additional fridge exhaust fans in the fridge chase to help decrease the hot air.
mvpmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 08:43 PM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
To me, dark is a better looking coach, but my dark brown walls get super hot in the sun.
At least the roof is white.

Regards,

Dan
Our sides on the top are mostly black but the roof is white and some is covered by the 4 -100 watt solar panels, and sat dish.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 09:07 PM   #7

Dark colors reflect less light meaning they absorb it.

Light is heat...

More heat absorbed is more heat load to transfer out via the ac.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:40 PM   #8

You kinda answered your own question when you talked about your cars. A motorhome is a big car that is harder to keep clean, and takes more time to wash. Getting it washed on the road, is not always easy. I've seen many MHs with light sides and dark swirls. It's a nice compromise. The roof should definitely be white or light.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:49 PM   #9

We have a white color scheme with darker swirls. Our camping friends have a medium blue with darker accents. Their 2 AC's can barely keep up in summer, ours no problem.
Old 04-06-2016, 11:31 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
I used a IR thermometer on my coach to check temps of the colors. On a 85 degree day with the sun shining on the side, the light tan registered 100, the next darker color registered 125, and the darkest color read 155.

Make mine with the major of light color
Old 04-07-2016, 06:42 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
I used a IR thermometer on my coach to check temps of the colors. On a 85 degree day with the sun shining on the side, the light tan registered 100, the next darker color registered 125, and the darkest color read 155.

Make mine with the major of light color
I did the same with similar results. in the Texas Heat that black will blister your hand.
I would look at the colors on some of the mid 2000 Monaco coaches. They are a base color of a light tan with some Maroon accents. Looks nice and stays a lot cooler.
Old 04-07-2016, 07:41 AM   #12

I just had the coach repainted and I went with a cream base color with colored swirls. Dark colors get much hotter and the paint will break down faster over time. You will also have a hotter coach with the dark colors. I personally like the way it looks better but that is my preference.
Old 04-07-2016, 07:53 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
We have a lighter color coach and I had the same thought. Although the darker coaches look really beautiful, I just think of the heat!
Hammer bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 07:55 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

My coach is black & gold and it's gorgeous, but the black heats up incredibly. Actually painful to touch in any sunlight at all. A buddy has a near-identical one that is all golds & tans and my a/c runs 2x what his does when we park side by side in the sun. The roofs on both coaches are white.

The black does tend to show minor scratches easily - even a tree branch lightly brushing along it. I should say the tiny marks are more visible in the black, cause when I get up close to polish them out, I can see them in the golds too.

I would probably avoid darker colors if we ever bought another. Dark color wouldn't disqualify one from consideration, but I would consider lighter colors a plus.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, paint