Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2014, 07:30 PM   #1

Dash a/c controls not working properly

Had my dash a/c charged today on 1999 safari...it blew hot air so they clamped off the heater hoses and then it blew cold air...since they were just auto mechanics they did'nt know what or how to fix...Any suggestions on what could be wrong or is it an easy fix that I can do????

thanks, Dan

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2014, 07:36 PM   #2

Not sure what type of controls you have, but many have separate dampers that control the proportions of heated and refrigerated air to mix together to give the selected temperature - and these are often controlled by vacuum actuators.

Possible that vacuum pump has failed (diesel motors usually) or a vacuum pipe has come off or a fitting broken.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:13 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club

Since the auto mechanics stopped the heat by clamping the heater hose, it sounds like the control valve that allows and adjusts coolant flow through the heater core is not working. You didn't identify whether your '99 Safari is diesel or not, but the control valve is usually where the heater hoses go into the heater plenum. The valve is usually controlled by a sheathed cable from the dash heater control to a lever on the valve.

A loss of vacuum that controls flaps and diverts air flow from floor, dash, and defrost would 'default' to the defroster vents. If you can still change air flow, vacuum is O.K.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:23 AM   #4

This sounds like the "H" valve that caused some problems on earlier Safari Treks. The thing wouldn't close completely, and let hot water into the plenum when you really wanted A/C. As you know, Safari's are orphans now, so you need to research HVAC components. See if you can find something here: https://comfortairgr.com/

Also https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Safarifriends/info

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari1999 View Post
Had my dash a/c charged today on 1999 safari...it blew hot air so they clamped off the heater hoses and then it blew cold air...since they were just auto mechanics they did'nt know what or how to fix...Any suggestions on what could be wrong or is it an easy fix that I can do????

thanks, Dan
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 09:54 AM   #5

Mine has an electrically controlled valve in the heater line just before the heater plenum. This valve shuts off the hot water when the control is set to A/C. Easy to see if you can see where the heater hoses enter the plenum. Most AC techs would know where to look as many vehicles use similar systems. Could be the valve or the switch on the dash.
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:21 AM   #6

Thanks for all your posts,,,I did find the inline electronic valve..I wonder is there a way to close it manually??? I would rather have A/C than heat at this stage of the year...

Dan
Old 05-02-2014, 08:24 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
This is what some of us have done install ball valve in one of the heater hoses does not matter which one.
Just do not forget to open it in winter or wife will be cold.
If you want to know what the problem is just read this thread.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:28 AM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Installing a ball valve or other type valve is(was) very common in school buses. Drivers sit between the two front heaters that even off would be a slow cooker on a warm day. The valve stopped all coolant from circulating into the heaters, making it more livable. Just be aware it also shuts off heat to defrost vents, so in the morning, if your windshield has lots of inside condensation on it, you'll need to use a towel or wait a long time for just moving air to clear them.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 04:54 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks for all your posts,,,I did find the inline electronic valve..I wonder is there a way to close it manually??? I would rather have A/C than heat at this stage of the year...

Dan
Mine was sticking too. Wiggle the electrical connections, mine had corroded. Started working again. It's a GM part on my Dynasty.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 12:13 AM   #10

There are vehicles that use a manual H valve. Cable controlled.
But it may be easier to replace the electronic one. Is there a name on the housing, Evans , Denso, Acme .
Old 05-04-2014, 07:42 AM   #11

I have an Evans Automatic Temperature Control unit (ATC)...I have decided to use my locking pliers to pinch off one heater hose until I can get to Evans service center..
Thanks for all the help,,Dan
Old 05-04-2014, 04:12 PM   #12

If you can get a part number from the original part, try the web site, at least you could phone for pricing and availability.

Evans Tempcon, Inc - Service Parts

I'll test this link.
Working fine.
Old 05-04-2014, 04:36 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I bought the valve online a couple years ago for about $150. Local RV dealer wanted to order it for me for about $450+installation labor.
Old 05-05-2014, 03:21 AM   #14

Quote:

Dan

OK ours is a later setup but is evans tempcon. If yours is the same, unplug wire connector, undo the two self tappers holding the motor on then you can manually turn the valve, quater or half turn, can't remember. If the valve is stiff to turn, that could be your problem?

Dodgey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash