Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2014, 09:44 AM   #1

Dash A/C has a Smell of Engine Exhaust

hi folks, i don't see the point of this - whenever i turn on dash a/c while driving, within 10 minutes, i can smell a pungent engine exhaust from the a/c vent. how does the exhausted air get into a/c air flow? is there an air pathway from engine compartment that sucks air and delivers to front? anyone has had this issue? thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2014, 10:28 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I assume you have a diesel pusher. The dashboard A/C is completely isolated from the engine exhaust. If you were running the generator, I would worry about it's fumes getting in the front HVAC system. Do you run the A/C on 'Max Air' setting? that recirculates inside air and doesn't use outside air, from the front, into the system.
I suggest you check exhaust pipe and muffler for leaks and make sure it extends past rear of the RV. If it leaks or is short of expending past RV bumper, it could be entering through a closet or opening in the rear cap. Look for soot in cabinets and drawers in the back of RV.

Are you sure it's diesel exhaust and not perhaps the resistor pack, that controls fan speed and is usually in the air plenum, which can get very hot, or the fan motor? Look for burned or melted plastic under dash and around heater/A/C vents and hoses.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 12:10 PM   #3

Thanks Bob!! It's a diesel pusher. This happened while generator was not run. Yes it was on "Max Air". I just checked and did see soot on a few area and ceiling light cover edges. I will start from here.
Best regards.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:17 PM   #4

Be safe! Be sure your carbon monoxide detector is working! Seems that if exhaust was getting into the RV it would set off the CO detector ?
Old 06-13-2014, 01:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Be safe! Be sure your carbon monoxide detector is working! Seems that if exhaust was getting into the RV it would set off the CO detector ?
good idea. i have a smoke detector and will install a new co detector. this is truly alarming, i will have it checked right away. thanks.
Old 06-13-2014, 02:08 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
I had an opening behind nightstand. The exhaust didn't have a turn down tip and ended short of the bumper. First discovered it on first trip when socks in a drawer turned up covered in soot. I took all the drawers out and sealed with expanding foam insulation and bought a 90 elbow for the tail pipe. Never did smell diesel exhaust, but the fix cured it.

Bob & Donna
Old 06-13-2014, 09:39 PM   #7

i checked everywhere i could think of, the only places having soot are in ceiling. once i removed the light covers, the soot is obvious. below pic shows my engine exhaust at driver side, definitely not passing bumper. the motion could put partial smoke back into the engine compartment. could it be the cause?

Old 06-13-2014, 10:35 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
It looks like the exhaust comes out past bumper a bit. The only other thing is do you drive with a window open a bit or roof vent open? That can cause enough 'vacuum' to pull air (exhaust) into the RV. Other than the items I've mentioned, I don't know how exhaust would be smelled in the front unless you're tailgating a truck. Good luck.

Bob & Donna
Old 06-13-2014, 11:53 PM   #9

when a/c was on "max air", windows were closed, the roof vent was not open either... from soot on ceiling, i am sure it has been like that for a long time, maybe from day one when MH was rolled off the production line. i will look into the muffler pipe, and may seal the gap around exhaust pipe from inside engine bay with aluminum foil. big thanks bob
Old 06-14-2014, 12:25 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You may have an exhaust leak between the engine, turbo, or tailpipe that's getting into the coach.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 10:30 AM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Stick your head into the engine bay and look up and back. That area should be sealed but may be allowing some exhaust into the rig.

Over the past 12 years we have had some ceiling traces but never smelled exhaust in the rig with the same exhaust set up.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 10:41 AM   #12

You might have a small leak in the heater core for the dash ac. This will cause an aroma that some people relate to exhaust. If you have a "sweet" smell with the odor that might be your heater core.
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 10:42 AM   #13

thanks chuck and dean. it's my priority now i will sure go under to check it out...

Tags
smell, dash