Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-21-2014, 07:47 PM   #1
Dash A/C - Is it really needed with dual roof A/Cs in a Class A

Mine dash air doesn't blow cold in my new '85 Vogue 33'. Mechanic says he can't put the old Freon in it to make it blow cold, and would have to install a new system at a cost of over $500-1000. I told him to not bother for I can't seem to understand when and why I would even need it. Can't imagine it cooling the whole coach, and assume the two roof airs would be much more useful in a really hot desert like situation.

What do you think?

SissyBoyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2014, 07:55 PM   #2
I use a "drop in" R12 replacement with good results in my '87. YRMV.

Don and Mary
'00 Bluebird Skoolie Conversion
Geo Tracker/Dodge Neon/Aprilia Scooter towed
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:00 PM   #3
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Depends on when and where you drive I guess. You might need your defroster in some situations and, without your AC to pull the moisture out of the air, the defroster (heat) will just make things worse. Otherwise, you're right, you can probably do without by running your roof air / generator combo going down the road.
Randy and Tina & pups; Cinnamon, Cookie & Coco
2010 Winnebago Journey 34Y
Freightliner / Cummins 340hp ISB, 2014 Ford Focus
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:05 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My previous coach I had similar situation. Cost to fix the dash air was prohibitive and others feedback was it was not very effective anyway. So we just used the house air when needed.
Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:07 PM   #5
Here in the "Hot" zone, AZ,NM,TX. I need all I can get!
John and Susan 2013 Winnebago Journey 40U-41'.
2011 Honda CRV Toad Our rescue dog Annie.Full timing since 07-01-2011. No sticks and bricks.
poppopc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:14 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
That depends on how much heat the windshield is generating. If you have a lot of heat coming in off of the windshield, it is hard for an A/C behind you to keep the front of you comfortable.

Good point was made about the defrosters. Get into an area with a humid rain and you will need the defroster to work immediately.
Chuck in SW FL
A "Classic" 2014 Entegra Anthem 42RBQ
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 09:23 PM   #7
Fleetwood Owners Club
The 99 Discovery we had, the dash air did not work. Our current coach has a working dash air. 2 A/C's will keep the coach tolerable, but the cockpit area is still warm, especially with the sun beating through the windows. Find another mechanic, R12 is still available.
2005 American Tradition 40L
69' Camaro in tow
Petes Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 09:31 PM   #8
I would recommend you take it to someone else, I have done lots of A/C service and there is another refrigerant called RedTec R12A that will work in all systems old & new that is environmentally safe. There was a time when R12 was banned and the only choice was to have your entire system upgraded ( big $ ) so you could use R134A but they developed RedTec and it solved that problem. As long as you don't have any leaks and all the components in the system are in good shape just have it recharged with RedTec and you will be chill'in! Of course if there is a problem with any of you components that would have to be repaired before recharging it. If you are handy you can buy a recharge kit at Wal Mart but you will need to know how much RedTec refrigerant your system holds so you know how much to buy.

Hope this helps!
mdpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:27 PM   #9
Had the same problem

My '98 Dutch Star had the same problem and we tried a trip using the two roof A/C's. It was around 90 degrees outside and the cab area was miserable. I spent about $800.00 to get the dash A/C fixed and now we can stay comfy at even 100 degrees outside without the roof units. (Unless we are driving into the late afternoon sun)

Our MH is a front diesel so maybe it is more efficient than a pusher. I've never had a pusher so I don't know for sure.
Lon and Martha Weekly
'98 DSFRED, '08 Jeep Liberty Toad rvi2 Brake System
lweekly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 02:08 AM   #10
I just spent 500.00 to get my dash air fixed on my newly purchased HR pusher. I was told by the seller that it didn't work and that he just used the roof airs. I told him I wanted 1000.00 off the purchase price after we had negotiated the sale. My reasoning is that I had to assume the worst and it could be $1000.00 to fix it and he had stated "everything works" at our initial meeting.
I drove it to Julian last week and that's pretty close to San Marcos.....you'll prolly wanna get the dash air fixed.
Kieth and Ellen 1998 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 34 wds. Enjoying sunny spots in So Cal and the Southwest.
kiethco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:43 PM   #11
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
We use the dash air more than the roof airs.
2014 American Eagle 45T
DD 500
Pulling a Honda CRV
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:38 PM   #12
My dash air was non functional when I bought my coach last year. Factored into the purchase price.

The ride home from CO to OH would have been very hot, had my roof units not been on. All that windshield glass sure can heat things up. I had to put down the cash to get the dash air working again.

I figured that the drive belt fouled up in the fan because about 15% of the blade surface area was gone. I needed a new fan, compressor, belt, tensioner, dryer, condensor fan, labor and recharge. Pretty much everything. A lot of cash to sort out. But, she blows ice cold now.
1999 HR Endeavor 37WDS
Handicapped Lift Equiped
Bad Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:28 PM   #13
Vintage RV Owners Club
Dash air is a luxury. For that matter so is roof air. I use dash air quite a bit when just driving around prior to my adventures... (hot weather but too lazy to fire up Gen to fire up roof airs.)

Dash air is a useful tool in the tool box but costly to get up to speed on older coaches. To get mine up to snuff... I had to buy new compressor and evaporator with conversion to newer coolant... but I use it and understand the value.
fkloster = Fritz & Erin (& Lucy the Weim)
1991 Beaver Marquis 40' (1,225 ft. lbs. torque)
2011 JGC Overland Summit Toad / U.S Gear Brake
fkloster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 02:48 PM   #14
In a statement above, it's all a matter of how valuable it is to you. I would not have the dash system inop in my coach. I would if I were you, shop around and find another A/C tech that will not take you to the bank on a conversion job. The drop in replacement for R-12 is new to me since I was taught there was no such thing when I went through HVAC Tech school. That may be an interim fix for you until you can get the system converted. I mention the conversion twice because for ease of mind and to increase the value of the system to you and if you should decide to trade or sell your coach. Just my 2cts, good luck....

Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote

class a, dash, roof