Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-10-2016, 03:47 PM   #1
Winnebago Owners Club
Dash A/C not working Diesel pusher

Has anyone tried to recharge dash air conditioner in a pusher?
I've put in "plenty" of 134 but still no cool. Pressure will rise but after a minute or less drops back to 0. The compressor is 40' from the dash unit so it seems to me perhaps a "lot" of 134 is needed
Any thoughts?

05Journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2016, 03:59 PM   #2
Monaco Owners Club
Probably have a leak, I'd put in a can with the UV dye in it and see if you can identify the problem. Hopefully it will be an easy find but considering how the hoses are routed it could be almost anywhere.

You can buy the light & glasses at Walmart pretty cheap. Look at the connections first in the front, the condenser, and compressor. Also check all around the compressor.

My dash AC quit blowing cold air ~6 years ago, I added 1 can of Freon and that solved the problem. Still blows cold today.

I identified a leak on my older Suburban, turned out to be an O-ring on a plug in the compressor. Drained the system, pulled the plug, put a new O-ring in and put the plug back in, all is good.

Jim J
2002 Monaco Windsor 38 PKD
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/5.7 Hemi
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 04:10 PM   #3
Monaco Owners Club
My 1999 36' Country Coach specs were for 5 pounds of 134a Freon.

Loving the Beaver!
Jason, Sherri, Christian, & Wheeler (Golden Retriever)
2008 Beaver Contessa Huntington CAT C9 400hp FMCA f25478 S4
FunGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 04:38 PM   #4
Is the compressor running at all times? At zero pressure it shouldn't.
My A/C takes about 5 to 6 pounds for a complete fill.
Are you reading both the high and low side?
If you are reading pressure on the high side an no pressure on the low side you have some blockage.
Has anyone ever used a sealer for the A/C? This can cause blockage.
A/C dryer coming apart? This can cause blockage.
You need more refrigerant and have a leak. Can't find a leak until the system is charged. Look at this chart to get you close
R-134a System Pressure Chart | AC Pro

A/C is complicated, you might want to have an expert look the system over.
'03 Country Coach Intrigue 36'
Cummins ISL 400
TR4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 04:40 PM   #5
Originally Posted by 05Journey View Post
I've put in "plenty" of 134 but still no cool. Pressure will rise but after a minute or less drops back to 0. The compressor is 40' from the dash unit so it seems to me perhaps a "lot" of 134 is needed
Any thoughts?
First off, what kind of history are we looking at here? Have you had the coach long? If so, has the dash air been working as it should, getting cold? If it was, but now it's not, yeah, I'd suspect a developed leak. Or, did you just buy the coach and don't know anything about the dash A/C system?

I'd just about guarantee a leak due to the fact that you put 134 in it and, it goes up but, drops right back to zero. I'd maybe start at the compressor and work towards the dash inspecting for leaks. There's oil in those systems and, if it's leaking that bad, you'd more than likely notice some fresh oil seeping out of where the leak might be. Good luck and report what you've found out so that others may learn.
2004 ITASCA HORIZON 36GD, 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Toad '08 GL 1800 Gold Wing
Retired-29.5 yrs, SDFD, Ham - KI6OND
Me, Karla and the Sophie character, (mini Schnauzer)
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 09:35 PM   #6
Pressurize the system with the engine off. If it is not a gauge problem you should hear the noise of the escaping pressure since it sounds like a large leak.
2003 Revolution 40C looking for a new home
2007 Monaco Signature Noble III 45'
hypoxia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 07:09 AM   #7
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
There are many places a leak may occur. this includes the compressor seal, access fittings and connections anywhere. There may be a leak in the condenser or in the evaporator. Dye is nice if the leak is in a visible area but the only sure way to isolate the leak is with a leak detector. they can be found by google search from walmart to harbor freight.

When I fixed mine it was the filter accumulator that was clogged. Pressure on the high side but not on the expansion valve. Follow some of the advise already given.
La Dagobago
99 36 FL Winne Chieftain 5.9 ISB Turbo Cummins DP, 24' box with 1972 V12 XKE Jag and HD Sporty Hobby of 1970's Suzuki dirt bike restoration. Visit my blog.
ladagobago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 09:54 AM   #8
Leak down that fast will be heard.

Look for either an old recharge hose or fitting that fits but an old hose is best.

Add fittings to that hose to allow you to connect it to your Ari compressor and connect it to charge the system.

Turn it to max pressure and place it as far away as possible.

Get young ears to help as they hear better as well as a garden sprayer filled with dawn mixed strong.

Listen spray and look for bubbles and fix what leaks.

Gently tug hoses and fittings as o - rings fail and if it was R12 and converter to r-134 they may be not compatible and failed.

After all fixed charge with air but have a manifold in place so you can turn air off at manifold and have gages present.

Write readings down and check daily and if it holds then evacuation and charge as needed.

If leak was major assume you lost oil and for good cause maybe drain compressor and replace dryers then start from scratch to be sure proper amounts of correct stuff.
Tony & Lori
1989 Country Coach Savannah SE
TQ60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 10:07 AM   #9
Country Coach Owners Club
Originally Posted by 05Journey View Post
Any thoughts?
Yes, I replaced the compressor and the two dryers and vacuumed the system.

The fill required 7+ 12oz cans of 134a or about 5.5 lbs to refill.

Borrow a set of gauges from Auto Zone to do it right.

1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is online now   Reply With Quote

dash, diesel