Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-11-2015, 10:56 AM   #1
Dash A/C Wiring Problem

I have a 2002 Dolphin class A, GM/workhorse P30 chassis with an 8.1 v8 gas engine.

My dash a/c quit working, but once in a while will turn on. Blower fan won't blow, but is capable. I found that there is no power to the dash mounted a/c control head, but when I add power (with a powered test light) all is well. At this time, there is no source power to the a/c control head. All fuses under dash and under hood have been verified good.

Does anyone know where the source power comes from for the dash a/c control head? Wiring schematics seem scarce! I did get a generic a/c schematic from workhorse, but obviously does not show the dash panel.

Any help would be appreciated.

BPark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2015, 11:17 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

Usually the HVAC is powered by a fuse in the fuse/relay panel for driving functions. Since it works when you use a jumper wire, but only works intermittently on it's own, it sounds like a bad connection or a broken wire. You could trace the wire from the fuse panel to the dash, or replace the wire from the fuse panel to the dash HVAC power since the wire is probably inside a bundle.

Another place to check is the large green connector near the steering column. Many reports of overheated, melted connections because so much is switched by the ignition key.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 06:04 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
By the way, your chassis is not a P30. The 2002 Dolphin on the Workhorse chassis used the W22, not the P30. The '02 models were also available on a Ford chassis, but few of those were made. National RV installed the dash a/c components, so they won't be on any Workhorse schematics. You have an Evans Tempcon dash a/c system.

I once had a 2002 Dolphin LX...
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 06:09 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to irv2.
Evans wiring diagrams.
Evan system controls
The Evans control valve maybe install incorrectly, cool air goes warm while on for AC Cooling.
Links in my signature may also help you on other items in your coach.
98KSCA, 99MACA, 03 KSCA-3740- 8.1 Chev-- ALLISON Trans, now in good hands
"007" is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 09:42 AM   #5
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
On mine I had much the same problem.. Saved much money on haircuts solving it.. Finally got under the dash and looked at the terminal block to the right of the fuse block.. one of the terminals there is reserved for HEVAC but guess what. It was not populated. Finally found a wire (Whoever wired this damon or rather ordered the wiring harnesses was very nice. Wires carry TEXT LABELS one was Dash AC or HEVAC (forget which) From OMEY's web page I found it was hooked to either AUX-1 or AuX-2 (You have several such terminals in your RV. this one is for the fuse block to the left of the terminal block, they work together) Anycase.. on the fuse block on the far left are two cans, these are Short Stop Circuit breakers,, They open and stay open till power is removed.. The bottom one was the indicated breaker.. Sure enough hot to the touch.
Replaced.. all good now.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote

dash, wiring