Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2016, 12:18 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Dash AC

I have a 1998 National Tradewinds. I had the AC compressor replaced 2years ago. It worked fine. Now when I turn it on, it blows cold for a few minutes and then only blows warm. Can it be low on Freon?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2016, 12:54 PM   #2

Yes.

Do you hear the compressor cycling on and off? Typically that's one of the things that happen when you are low on Freon.

okcnewbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 03:09 PM   #3
TR4

Take your coach to a A/C shop and have them check the high and low pressures. They can tell if it needs freon. When they replaced the compressor did they flush the entire system? If not, debris from the old compressor will clog the system. Also if the system is not flushed, they don't know how much oil to add. To be safe they just guess and add some to protect the compressor. Too much oil and the efficiency decreases. Too much or too little freon and the A/C doesn't cool enough. Not enough air being drawn through condenser will diminish cooling. Is the fan running when the air conditioner is on? I don't know your coach, but if you have a side radiator with a wax valve to control the fan, the fan only starts working when the motor gets up to temperature. If the fans not running, you get little cooling. You might have a slow leak, look for oil at all the fittings.

A/C is a complicated system. Unless you want to do a lot of reading and buy gauges it's better to have a A/C tech look at it.

Bill
Old 06-02-2016, 05:04 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefkar View Post
I have a 1998 National Tradewinds. I had the AC compressor replaced 2years ago. It worked fine. Now when I turn it on, it blows cold for a few minutes and then only blows warm. Can it be low on Freon?
Mine was like that 2 weeks ago. I read whatever I could find, then went on e-bay and got red angel a/c sealer. It is a minor miracle worker and will save you hundreds of dollars. Get the can for $29.95.
Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 06:19 PM   #5
TR4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Ghost I View Post
Mine was like that 2 weeks ago. I read whatever I could find, then went on e-bay and got red angel a/c sealer. It is a minor miracle worker and will save you hundreds of dollars. Get the can for $29.95.
Might want to read this reg sealers;
Problems with A/C on CAT backhoe - Automotive Air Conditioning Information Forum

Bill
Old 06-03-2016, 07:12 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR4 View Post
I read that 12 year old post. At the time. Red angel a/c treatment was not readily available, if at all. Google it and read the reviews. It worked super on mine after I had paid an "expert" to fix it.
Old 06-03-2016, 07:25 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Op said his a/c would cool for a bit and quit. Red angel should fix it. If refrigerant leaks out almost as soon as you put it in, you are in bad need of some new parts.
Old 06-03-2016, 07:50 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I have taken an ac system apart and knowing what I learned there, I'd never put sealer in an ac system. There is a small piece that I'd think the sealer would clog, it's called the orifice and it's what makes an ac system work. If the engineers who designed it didn't specify to put sealer in it from the factory, I'll take their word. The factory wants to build a system that the world loves because it never leaks, they'd put sealer in if they thought it was a good idea; they didn't.

However, there is more investigation to do. When the ac blows warm, is the compressor turning? Could be a pressure switch problem or a fill problem. When the ac blows warm, is it blowing the same volume of air that it first blows? Could be the evaporator is icing up. Is your condenser side mounted like mine and requires a fan to cool it, then is that fan turning and free of blockage? The condenser heats up without the fan and the coolant can't get cool.

TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash