Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2011, 10:38 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Dash AC Moisture - vent and drip - on Normal

I have a 2010 Newmar Bay Star 2901 on a Ford F53 chassis. When I run the dash AC on "Max", everything works OK. However, every once in a while I would like to have outside fresh air. When I switch the AC to "Normal" (I think that is the dial setting), I get moisture dripping underneath the dash where the heater is located and some blowing out of the vents. I have taken this to the dealer twice. The first time, they reported finding a kinked drain hose and reported fixed it. The second time, they put insulation on the pipes under the dash. I still have the moisture and dripping problem. Before I take it in again, I would like to get some ideas of why I should get moisture in the "Normal" position, which brings in outside air, and not get moisture in the "Max" position, which only recirculates the inside air. Any ideas?
kcolivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2011, 10:53 AM   #2

My previous MH would drip condensation from over the outside of the duct tubing. It was horrible when I was in a high humidity area like Georgia, Texas coast or Florida. Mine never blew water out of the vents and that would indicate that you still have a kinked or a blocked condensation drain hose. You should be able to find that it will probably be a black 1/2" OD plastic or rubber tube going down from your main AC unit. You will have to get under the MH with a flashlight and look for it. The other thingis to just run the AC in normal and look to see if you have water dripping on the ground up forward if so then find out where it is coming from and that is the drain tube. Now run a piece of stiff wire up it.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 08:17 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
High humidity out of course.. And I suspect your A/C drain tubes may be blocked.

Often, when parking a car or other A/C equiped vehicle on a summer day you see a puddle of water form basiclly just in front of the firewall on the ground.

A/C condensate drains.. If they are clogged.. it drips inside. Or if the housing is cracked bad things can happen too.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:20 PM   #4

I drip from the vents in Fl if I do not run the house air on a hot day due to warm humid air hitting the cool outlets.
Lault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 04:33 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for the replies. I'll look for the drain tube this weekend.
kcolivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 07:51 AM   #6

I have the exact same problem and have written about it in another thread. This should not happen. I've checked drain tube and it is not blocked. Newmar has a TSB #345 about this which says to caulk around bottom of pan from the inside. I did that and it didn't help. Have written to Newmar about this and so far have not received a response. Also wrote to maker of unit (Evans) and they think it is due to the grill design being open and air being forced into and through unit. My Bay Star is not a month old yet and also had the cooling stop due to a freon leak. That is fixed but not water spitting.
padre44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 11:47 AM   #7

I have read that when outside air is brought into the cabin while the AC is in operation (using the "normal" position), the AC can smell musty. This is from the humid outside air accumulating in the system which is not completely removed from the ducts by the AC.

On the other hand, the theory goes, when the inside air is recirculated (using the "max" position) excess moisture is not accumulated because the AC is just recycling already dried air.

I don't know if this is correct or not, but I do notice the AC does not get "the smell" when I run just on "max" in my humid Louisiana climate.

As previously surmised, it is possible this is why the AC drips water on "normal" and not on "max."
Airstreamer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 07:20 PM   #8

I had the same problem on my 90. The floor under the dash on the passengers side would develop a pool of water. My problem was that the air coming through the front grill would create so much pressure the no matter what, it would blow air and the resulting moisture right through the coil and into the area where the recycle section of the A/C, which is right at the passengers feet. I built an aluminum shroud around the intake of the heater-A/C intake and then ducted it from the wheel well side. It's been like that for a couple of years, problem solved.
It also solved the mice from coming in on the intake side and creating a nest on top of the heater coil.
BA-in-Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 08:09 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
The recirculated air has is not getting its moisture content continually replenished from the outside so far less drip. Therefore, until you find the problem, just run on recirculate.
targaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 06:19 AM   #10

If this problem has been going on this long, you'd think Newmar would have fixed it by now. The fix they posted on the TSB doesn't work. Most of us cannot fabricate a fix like you did, so we're left to put up with a real nuisance.
Old 06-30-2011, 04:17 PM   #11

I fashioned some aluminum to divert air from pushing in the openings at the bottom of the Evans unit and used velcro to attach it to the unit. It seemed from my investigation that air coming into the grill at speed was forcing inside the a/c unit and pushing water out the inside grill. On a short drive yesterday at speed, no water came in. I'll give it a better test next week when we have a longer drive. If this works, Newmar should be ashamed for not coming up with a fix that worked. I'm no engineer.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:46 PM   #12

I believe it is an Evans unit I have also.
BA-in-Mich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash air, ford, moisture