Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2013, 02:46 PM   #1

Dash AC not working 2007 Sunova Itasca

I rolled my rv out for the summer and I am only getting hot air coming out of the dash. I only have 5500 miles on the coach. Any suggestions?
mimarrero is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2013, 03:00 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
First suggestion is to check the level of coolant. If you don't have enough coolant, the compressor won't engage... Most "fill" bottles at the auto parts store come with a gauge option for the low pressure side...

Know if the compressor is coming on?
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
First suggestion is to check the level of coolant. If you don't have enough coolant, the compressor won't engage... Most "fill" bottles at the auto parts store come with a gauge option for the low pressure side...

Know if the compressor is coming on?
So I am a novice in this area. Will you help me out on where to heck the coolant and is there a way to determine if the compressor is turning on? If you have a photo that would be great!
Old 05-28-2013, 05:39 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
If you have an Evans temp control in the dash there is a knob that you turn toward the blue section of the knob to get a/c. When you turn it all the way to the blue area a cable closes the heater control valve under the dash. If the cable does not move free it will not close the valve all the way. Have someone turn the knob while you look under the dash. You should see the cable move the valve to closed. If it does not move it all the way to the stop you can push it closed with your fingers. Others have installed a manual valve in the heater hose that the leave closed all summer. If you do a search there should be some photos.
dabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:57 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
If you look under "class A motor home discussions" from 12/ 21/ 12 there was a discussion about no dash heat. There are some photos of the dash controls, the cable and the heater valve. There are also some photos of some manual valves that were installed. If that heater valve is not closing the air will not be cold not matter how good your compressor is working. Hope that's your problem it's an easy fix.
dabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:17 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
I agree - if you're actually getting heat out of the dash, you need to address the heat issue first. This means dealing with the control or putting a block on the heater core.

To see if the compressor is turning, you look at the very front of it. The belt goes around a "wheel". If the wheel is turning in the very front, then the compressor is on. You should also hear a "click" when you turn on the AC and maybe feel the engine change RPM a little bit.

If you've never done AC work, I'm not sure that it's a good place to get started...
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:51 PM   #7

I purchased a ball valve from Home Depot which is meant for 1/2" PEX - it fits the 5/8 water heater pipe perfectly and so I can now stop any hot water getting to the heater during the summer. From experience, those cable hot water valves are useless!
steveclv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:49 AM   #8

All,

Thanks for all the guidance and advice the ac is up and running. All it needed was a charge. There may be a leak somewhere but let's see how long the fix works.
What I learned is the following:
1. Understand the system first - that would have told me that the compressor won't run without freon
2. Know where everything is so you can trace it - have to know where the compressor is to see if it is running and need to know where the low pressure valve is to check the pressure and add freon if necessary
3. Check the obvious first - compressor not running, check freon pressure. Then work down the list
4. Rely on those who have been there before you - this forum was amazing in helping me fix my problem
5. Do a little dance when the cold air starts coming out of the dash and make the kids call you "handy daddy"

Now if only someone can tell me were to find a replacement DVD player for the bunk bed....

Thank you all!