Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2013, 12:31 PM   #1

Dash Air Trouble Shooting '99 Adventurer

Here's a question for the Air Conditioner savvy.
We are in El Paso Tx heading west into the real heat. The dash air is not functioning, requiring me to run the generator to operate the roof air. I attempted to recharge the unit without any apparent success. The instructions said to ensure that the compressor was running by observing the center of the pulley was turning. My limited knowledge of A/C tells me that the compressor is probably on the engine some 34 feet away. I went in search of the compressor and could not find it or any way to get to it if I were to find it. This is on the 5.9 Cummins on a 1999 Winnebago Adventurer. Is there any way to ascertain if the compressor is operating without wallowing around on the ground?

geezerb
geezerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2013, 01:34 PM   #2

OK --engine running-access to engine compartment-you at access to engine compartment-have some one turn on AC and you listen for a click or change in engine speed (small change).If not enough refrigerant in system it will not come on I do not know weather you were succesful at charging the unit. Any AC tech can check this -does not have to be RV tech.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:24 PM   #3

Your compressor is round and has a belt on it running to the fly wheel of the engine.
It has a pulley with a little smaller circle that is what turns and tells you the compressor is working.
Make sure engine is running and dash air is on max.

Same when you are filling with ac coolant. The can should have a gauge that you readyif you have enough in the system.
The compressor won't turn on until you do.
rexabbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:50 PM   #4

I mean no disrespect with this comment, but if anyone attempting to work/repair an AC system does not know what or where the compressor is....you stand a good chance of injury to yourself or damage to the AC system. AC systems are under pressure. Freon can cause blindness and frostbite. Someone attempting to repair an AC system can actually do the system more harm than good.
I realize everyone wants to save a $$ but in this instance, that savings might end up costing you more in the long run
Old 06-08-2013, 05:50 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc3283 View Post
I mean no disrespect with this comment, but if anyone attempting to work/repair an AC system does not know what or where the compressor is....you stand a good chance of injury to yourself or damage to the AC system.
X-2
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:30 AM   #6
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If the AC compressor is turning it is more likely then that the expansion valve has stopped working. there is a little butterfly needle in the expansion valve and it can and does stop working. that is a major AC repair. Freon has to be evacuated, expansion valve replaced, system vacuum pumped and freon added back in.

Best to just take it to a garage and expect some $$$ cost.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:40 AM   #7

I first want to say that I totally agree with those offering the safety advice. Additionally would like to assure you that I know full well what a a/c compressor looks like. I have never had access to a diesel pusher where the engine is several feet away. The engine on this beast is protected from prying eyes making every search more of a eureka event than anything else. I know that the compressor makes a metallic sound when it engages but when you consider the noises coming from the average Cummins engine, any other noises are difficult to discern. I was hoping there was some "Old RV Tech Trick" to show when the compressor was engaged.
Also, I have reached an age that indicates that I am not into messing with stuff that can jump up and bite me. If there are things that I can isolate before I go to the trained folks, it will make it easier to discover whether said trained folk is after this months pay on his Mercedes.

geezerb
Old 06-08-2013, 06:32 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Here is a picture of my AC compressor viewed from the bedroom access.

Note the silver bolt sticking up in the top of the picture.

Look directly below the bolt but into the engine compartment.

The compressor is attached to the engine and is driven by a dedicated belt (which you cannot see).

The compressor looks just like the one on your cars or trucks but is a bit larger.

The model number info is on a label either on the back or side of the the compressor.

It is relatively easy to work on with a side mount radiator like my DP has. On your gas rig you should be able to see it by standing in front of the engine compartment.

I bought the gauges, vacuum pump, parts and new compressor and replaced it last summer. Nice cold air this summer from the front and rear, engine driven AC system.

BUT....... I also learned what others are saying. There is a lot of pressure remaining in the system, if a part is removed in the wrong step or via failure, the dislocated part could penetrate your skull just like a bullet.

BE CAREFULL when messing around in there. I ... got ... lucky....
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:25 PM   #9

Dean;
Thank you for the photograph you enclosed. It told me everything I wanted to know as to the location of the compressor. I will assume that mine is really close to that location but mine has a rear radiator and the access door is somewhat smaller. I will leave any monkeying around with that to the thinner, nimbler and younger set. Right now I am in some 100 degree heat in El Paso and headed for some real heat. The roof airs will have to pull the load for the near future. I know when I finally get it fixed I will appreciate it.

geezerb
Old 06-11-2013, 10:47 AM   #10

I have the same engine you have and the same dash air by denso. I think that's the name.
When you push the button on the dash for AC does the little green light come on, that indicates the compressor is working. If not you have a 10 amp fuse blown, that's what was wrong with mine.
The errant fuse is behind the dash below the HVAC equipment, this fuse is located on a wire by itself, not on a fuse board. This fuse controls the engagement of the AC Clutch which is what the clunk is when you push the button. Let me see if I can find the PDF file I have on it.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/attachmen...4&d=1343052638
When you click on the above you will see a banner at the bottom of the page, click on that and you will get the schematic for your AC equipment located behind the dash including the 10 amp fuse.
Jim
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:03 AM   #11

Thanks all for the in-put. After arriving in Tucson yesterday from El Paso, I checked and it turns out that the shut-off to the heater is not working. I have been looking in the wrong direction all this time. Now I just have to either clamp the in-let to the heater core or find a suitable valve to do the job.
(The clamping would just be temporary, of course)
geezerb

Tags
dash