The planned repairs took longer than I really intended because of some outside competition for my time and because I elected to reinforce the mounts for the front battery access door. The latter was mounted to a part of the grill where a wooden block had been fiberglassed into some very thin material. I added a layer of fiberglass cloth and liked the improvement in how solid that area became.
I did as described in my previous post regarding the increase in size of the three screws into the wall and the repositioning of the angle iron on the heavy steel structure at the back of the firewall. I increased the area of foam contact by about 25%.
Today was the first street test drive. I drove about 6 miles over very lumpy city streets. The bond between the dash and the front cap remained tight. Examination afterward showed no area of the foam where flexing occurred.
I remain mildly concerted about the impact on the outer fiberglass of the front cap. There were a few stress cracks in front of the door and I will be monitoring it closely to see if more develop. We'll probably camp close to home for a couple of months in case unexpected consequences do occur but based on everything that I've seen so far, I don't expect any.
I'm not happy about the way that this was all originally engineered but I've convinced myself that trying to improve that significantly is not going to be cost effective. As long as everything holds as it is now, I'll be satisfied.
2000 Georgie Boy Landau 36' DP
2005 Saturn Vue toad