Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2019, 07:20 AM   #57

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Dash Cam recommendation

I have gone through several dash cams. All had some deficiency or another, hard to set up, difficult to use software, hard to down load images, video quality, etc.
I finally settled on the Nextbase 522GW which addresses nearly all of the issues I have seen on previous dash cams. It is very small and doesn't affect your windshield visibility. It's basically plug and play installation very easy to set up. It has integrated GPS tracking which is important to have to document video locations in case of accident. Video retrieval is super easy, you can download it wirelessly straight from the dash cam to your computer or smart phone (and you don't need a WIFI network to do it), so no need to take out smart card or attach cables to it. I leave it attached to the windshield for the entire trip.
The only downside, it is more expensive than most, but the features and ease of use, sold me on it and I paid the money.
lsuarez53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2019, 08:09 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
I only bought mine because it was rumored that sometimes in Mexico a vehicle will pull in front of your RV and squat so you bang into their rear end. And then you end up paying to make the problem go away. Sometimes the cops are in on it, other times not.

Well, so far over 5 years I've never needed it.

It only cost $25 and if I ever DO need it, it's there. Cheap insurance. Even bought one for my car. Never even considered it as a 'get of of a ticket' device because if I did the traffic crime, don't mind paying for it, even if it were accidental.
So where do you get one for only $25? I can’t find one for that.
Ellwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 08:23 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwill View Post
So, where do I get one for just $25? Sounds like a good deal.
Got them off of eBay but it was years ago and that model isn't sold any more. I was surprised at the time at the low price and expected it to be less capable then most of the time but it turned out to be feature rich. I have two, one in the car and one in the RV, and they both still work great.

The eBay link shows several under $25...

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 08:31 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by botiemad View Post
I've been at this since '97. I have never seen a motor home pulled over, ever. I'm on our second dash cam and it is pretty much worthless as accessability is impossible from the driver's seat. That windshield mounted camera is a loooong reach for the driver. The buttons are tiny, and there's too many of them. Unless you're one to set it and forget it, wait until one is made that is user friendly and operates from a simple, remote switch.
Mount the camera in the best position to see everything that happens and then wire it into (plug or hardwire) a source that comes on with the key. There is no need to turn it on or off, it does it automatically that way. Most every dashcam in the world works this way. Some even have battery backup so that if you get hit in say a parking lot, the camera will sense the bump and turn itself on to record someone driving away. The technology is there. Take a moment to explore the ease of use and you might be surprised. As others have mentioned, I have one in every vehicle, but I bet it's been months since I've touched one. It's just there if I need it.
bucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 10:48 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
My daughter in-law got pulled over and the officer said she did something. She said do you want to see my dash cam, his reply have a good day.
Same thing happened to a co-worker a year or so ago. Only he didn't mention the dash cam.

He accepted the ticket, made sure the name and badge number was readable (not always the case), went to the arraignment, pleaded not guilty, went to court, played the dashcam video... He had copied the video to a laptop, he took it and my VGA projector to court (I have a nice Epson projector that normally lives in a Pelican case... I use it when doing technical presentations).

My co-workers traffic incident was not that visible on a cellphone screen but a 4 foot tall projector image on the courtroom wall made it quite obvious what my co-worker had done (and not done), and the audio proved that the cop was in another reality, was outright lying or hadn't a clue.

My co-worker reported that the judge just shook his head and dismissed the ticket. He also received a phone call a week later from the cops captain... apparently the judges order had forced the cop off the patrol group and he was "back in training".

Sometimes justice isn't blind... when there's a decent dashcam video and a good portable projector.
Old 10-20-2019, 02:14 PM   #62

They do care and the one I had took a look at the video and wrote other driver two tickets.
Old 10-25-2019, 03:39 PM   #63

What did you end up getting?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I'm running a similar DOD brand camera as "A Traveler" above. I bought mine because so many people do stupid things in front of an RV. I looked for specific capabilities when I was shopping cameras. The DOD model I bought has GPS so it can identify the location and speed of an accident. Mine will record for about 8 hours and then record over the old stuff. There is also an impact sensor so if I get in an accident, it will save the information on the card during that time frame.

My DOD films in HD and can make for some great pictures when driving through areas like a National Park.

I'm sure everyone has seen the crazy driver approaching in the mirror or one that is brain dead entering the freeway. The type that realizes at the last minute that they never looked in the mirror and are now running out of onramp. When I see these things happen, I make it a habit to voice what they're doing, which also tells my wife what's going on. This way, if I'm side swiped, something that can't be seen by the camera, there is a record that is hard to dispute on tape.
dlvgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 06:23 PM   #64

Dash cam works

Last summer we were heading back home to Texas from SC we stopped overnight in Vicksburg,Ms got on the the next morning around 9:30 we were stopped on the on ramp to get on the Mississippi River bridge to cross over into Louisiana waited until traffic was clear started on to the bridge driving a 2019 NEWMAR Ventana we were in the right hand lane heading across the bridge when this dummy truck driver pulling a lowboy with a big John Deere 4 wheel drive tractor on the trailer with oversized load sign on the front of the truck and at the rear of the trailer decided he would pass me on the left side of our coach as he passed me the tires overhanging from the tractor on the trailer tore my drivers side mirror off and left it dangling on the side of my coach by the electric control wire. Was able to get him pulled over after we crossed the river into Louisiana pulled into a truck weigh station that was not being used and called state police local cop came out from Louisiana after we reviewed the dash cam footage found incident happened right before we crossed the state line on the bridge had to wait for Vicksburg police officer to come across the bridge and do the accident investigation the driver was not cited because the cop said he would have had to witness the accident even though I showed him what happened on the video.The driver told his boss that it was my fault that I had cut him off crossing the bridge. After I emailed the video to his boss he was really expressing his concerns and what he was told by his driver I got two estimates and sent them to the company owner this ended up costing him a little over $10,780 to repair our coach replacing the mirror and repainting the drivers side that was damaged since it was full body paint on our coach and NEWMAR only uses BASF paint really expensive. SO YES DASH CAMS DO WORK I HAVE ONE IN EVERY VEHICLE I OWN. Good luck drive safe Johnny V
JMVAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 02:05 AM   #65

dash cam

I went to Amazon and they have hundreds of cams, a dozen at least under $25. I bought one system for our car (front and back) and a 4 camera system for our MH. I feel relieved every time I drive because of those cameras. If an accident happens I won't have to try to make anyone believe me because the video don't lie. I actually have an upwelling of thankfulness toward the little cameras when I turn them on and when I get home and turn them off. I went wired for both systems because I feel they will be more reliable.
ShermAngelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 08:30 AM   #66

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsuarez53 View Post
...I have gone through several dash cams. All had some deficiency or another, hard to set up, difficult to use software, hard to down load images, video quality, etc....
Same here, hard to set up, use and even see. Gave up on them.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 10:35 PM   #67

Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
Same here, hard to set up, use and even see. Gave up on them.
Then you should try this one. Easy to use. My wife has had this one for 3 years now without any trouble. And it can take a 128gb sd card.

https://smile.amazon.com/VIOFO-Inclu...2931929&sr=8-5
nvs4602 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 11:44 PM   #68

I've been saved by one. I had a hipster riding a bike one handed while holding the phone to his ear with the other hand wobble into the front fender of my car. Drove over his bike with my rear wheel. Luckily he was able to hop away as he went down so I didn't drive over him.

He, and the three friends riding with him, all swore to the police that I'd turned into him trying to make a right turn through the bike lane. My dashcam proved they were lying and saved me a ticket. Unfortunately, he gave the cop a fake name and address so I ended up having to have my own insurance pay my damage.

A friend of mine had an even more extreme story. One of his delivery vans was tail-ended at a red light by a SF police cruiser. The cop claimed the driver started running the light, realised it was red, stopped, and backed into him. The vans built in front and rear cameras showed the cop reading his computer screen as he drive straight into the back of the van.
Rickinnocal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash