RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2019, 11:26 AM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Dash Cam - Has it saved you any cash?

I read about lots of owners buying Dash Cams.

I understand what the Dash Cams can do.

But I do not read much about what the Dash Cam did to assist your operation of your Motorhome other than provide Landscape Video.

Has your Dash Cam saved you any money or traffic citations?

1995 38' CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2019, 12:00 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
I read about lots of owners buying Dash Cams.

I understand what the Dash Cams can do.

But I do not read much about what the Dash Cam did to assist your operation of your Motorhome other than provide Landscape Video.

Has your Dash Cam saved you any money or traffic citations?

Yes.

Old 10-04-2019, 12:13 PM   #3
tcg

What's a traffic citation?

I haven't had a citation in probablly 30 years. Although I did have 17 points when I was 17. I got better.

I could see helping in an accident or witnessing an accident or even a crime but preventing tickets?
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 12:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcg View Post
What's a traffic citation?

I haven't had a citation in probablly 30 years. Although I did have 17 points when I was 17. I got better.

I could see helping in an accident or witnessing an accident or even a crime but preventing tickets?
Police officers don't care about your dash cam or what it recorded (unless it recorded a cop not acting professionally) but the DA or prosecutor *might* be more interested. Trying to play back something for officers is unlikely to alter his/her/their perception of a violation, crime, or wreck.

In a situation that results in civil action the lawyers and insurers are more likely to take an interest.
Old 10-04-2019, 12:40 PM   #5

I only bought mine because it was rumored that sometimes in Mexico a vehicle will pull in front of your RV and squat so you bang into their rear end. And then you end up paying to make the problem go away. Sometimes the cops are in on it, other times not.

Well, so far over 5 years I've never needed it.

It only cost $25 and if I ever DO need it, it's there. Cheap insurance. Even bought one for my car. Never even considered it as a 'get of of a ticket' device because if I did the traffic crime, don't mind paying for it, even if it were accidental.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 06:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
I only bought mine because it was rumored that sometimes in Mexico a vehicle will pull in front of your RV and squat so you bang into their rear end. And then you end up paying to make the problem go away. Sometimes the cops are in on it, other times not.

Well, so far over 5 years I've never needed it.

It only cost $25 and if I ever DO need it, it's there. Cheap insurance.
Even bought one for my car. Never even considered it as a 'get of of a ticket' device because if I did the traffic crime, don't mind paying for it, even if it were accidental.
Yup, it's there in case I need it.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 07:14 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
I’m a firm believer in dashcams.
I do use it in the motorhome, but the incident I’m about to describe occurred while driving my SUV.
We were driving north on I-75 in Georgia near Adel traveling in the right hand lane at the speed limit.
I saw a LEO approaching from the rear in the outside lane with his lights on. Next thing I know, he’s behind me to pull me over. When he approaches my vehicle he stated I was doing 94 in a 70 mph zone.
I remembered that just prior to him pulling me over, I had noticed a vehicle almost identical to mine, passing me at a high rate of speed. Obviously the officer picked the wrong vehicle to pull over. The officer would have none of it claiming he didn’t make mistakes like that.
Well, in Georgia, 20+ mph over the limit is classified as a super speeder and the fine is very expensive and the points against your license are huge.
When I got back home to Arkansas, I reviewed my dashcam footage and sure enough, the video clearly showed a vehicle identical to mine except for a sticker in the back window. Ours was yellow and his was white.
I decided I had to fight the ticket. I contacted a law firm in Georgia and explained my predicament. They told me to send them the video, which I did.
To make a long story short, while the dashcam that I had at the time had a time/date stamp on the video, that model didn’t record actual speed at the time concerned.
What the video did allow them to do was plead a reduced citation speed which resulted in a much lower fine and no points against my license. I believe that without the dashcam footage, I would have had less chance to get the deal I did.
I have since upgraded my dashcam to one that records video, time, date and speed for any given moment.
I also steer clear of Georgia now.
LandKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 09:19 PM   #8

Ok, buy a good dash cam or stay out of Georgia.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 10:32 PM   #9

Being a transplant to FL, If you’re coming to visit in the winter its a life saver. Too many q-tips/gray hairs in Gods Waiting room in the snowbird season that don’t look in their mirrors.
I went as far as pitting an air-horn on my motorcycle just to be safe.
Old 10-05-2019, 09:46 AM   #10

I got one after a guy "didn't see" my 36' class A and decided he need to exit and cut in front of me and tagged my coach. After I got one I had another guy come across the center line and head on me. The State Patrol Homicide investigator was saying I was facing some serious problems. I showed him the video his eyes got real wide and said "Holy Sh@&, I'm sorry for doubting you sir." The road is filled with distracted drivers cover you butt.
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 10:22 AM   #11

Whish i had one yesterday, pickup truck loaded with ladders and other stuff side swipped a flatbed, though he was going to roll it, he saved it, not even sure the truck knew it happened, both continued on. I passed the pickup a few miles later it had some damage & tire markes on the side.
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 01:19 PM   #12

DW was t-boned by someone going through a red light. No injuries, but our car was not driveable.

Driver two cars behind the culprit had a dash cam that recorded the entire thing. The driver gave the SD card to my DW.

Our insurance agent sent a copy of the video to the culprit's insurance company - believe me, that company was the most hospitable and eager to help company we've ever had business dealings with!

Yes, I wanted a dash cam - then realized that I had an old phone (plus and old tablet) that both had cameras - sure enough, apps are available for free that turn those devices into VERY capable dash cams.

And now - I have a dash cam and might be able to help others, or myself...
Domo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 02:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandKO View Post
I’m a firm believer in dashcams.
Well, in Georgia, 20+ mph over the limit is classified as a super speeder and the fine is very expensive and the points against your license are huge.
In NC if you get a ticket from a state with reciprocity, this ticket would result in an automatic 6 month revocation without being able to appeal, whereas, the same ticket in NC you could get limited driving privileges. Been there, fortunately, after court appearance, judge reduced charge from 33 over to 9 over, when trooper missed car color, date of violation & several other errors. Florida depends on ticket revenue.
Clemson State of Mind
wimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 02:39 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domo View Post
Yes, I wanted a dash cam - then realized that I had an old phone (plus and old tablet) that both had cameras - sure enough, apps are available for free that turn those devices into VERY capable dash cams.... might be able to help others, or myself...
Love to know what mount you used for your phone & power supply hook-up as well as preferred app. Have you experienced over-heating or other issues?

Clemson State of Mind
wimpy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash