Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2018, 06:31 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
I am a techno turtle on this topic. Please explain the why and the how. Why a dash cam? Where do the recordings go?
I use it 100% for recording any front side accidents so there is no debate with the other party and the officer at the scene. The camera goes on the windshield and records video and audio of everything in front and with a fairly wide angle besides. There are some models with a remote camera to record the rear of the RV also. The dash camera comes on when the engine is turned on and it automatically starts recording in high definition. It records clips until you stop it. If you don't have anything you want to save, then it will just record over the beginning clips and start over after about 12 hours or so depending on the size of your memory card. If you get in an accident, you can grab your camera memory card, get the last 5 min clip and review exactly what the camera saw with the officer, judge or attorney!

Here is a link to one I just bought!
https://www.amazon.com/Recorder-Cros...stour+dash+cam
iluvuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2018, 06:37 AM   #44

Monaco Owners Club
iluvuk, Ed,
How do you have your camera mounted. With the near vertical windshield on my Monaco it doesn't appear the actual camera would be able to be pointed forward. Any chance you could post a photo of how you have it set up?

Mike
MI FLA Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 08:58 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI FLA Mike View Post
iluvuk, Ed,
How do you have your camera mounted. With the near vertical windshield on my Monaco it doesn't appear the actual camera would be able to be pointed forward. Any chance you could post a photo of how you have it set up?

Mike
It is mounted by a suction cup. The camera is very small. I mount it on the vertical windshield, at the bottom BELOW the wipers, on the inside. It can see everything from there on my unit. I will try to get you a pic. You can also google search a pic of dash cam suction cup mounts. mine is so small it is not obstructing anything down there.
Old 08-28-2018, 11:40 AM   #46

Quote:
iluvuk, Ed,

Mike
Here is a pic of the dash cam on the windshield, mounted with suction cup. Note it is pointing below my wipers. It doesn't obstruct my view yet it gets full view out the front nearly 180 degrees
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180828_093721.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	210.3 KB
ID:	216715  
Old 08-28-2018, 11:43 AM   #47

Dash cam suggestions

Have found one. Now have it in my hand setting it up. Thanks to everyone that Replied to my Thread Ronnie
tallmantwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 01:47 PM   #48
RV LIFE Support Team

Comment on audio: We have ours turned off, just do the video recording. We don;t want to have comments like "look at that stupid idiot" and then get hit by "that stupid idiot" on record. Easy to argue we were aware of him and should have avoided him.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 07:49 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
Comment on audio: We have ours turned off, just do the video recording. We don;t want to have comments like "look at that stupid idiot" and then get hit by "that stupid idiot" on record. Easy to argue we were aware of him and should have avoided him.

X2 on this
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 11:05 PM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvuk View Post
Here is a pic of the dash cam on the windshield, mounted with suction cup. Note it is pointing below my wipers. It doesn't obstruct my view yet it gets full view out the front nearly 180 degrees
Ed, That doesn't look like the camera that the link is for that you said you just purchased.

"Here is a link to one I just bought!
https://www.amazon.com/Recorder-Cros...stour+dash+cam "

Is that a different camera?
MI FLA Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 11:10 PM   #51

Quote:
Ed, That doesn't look like the camera that the link is for that you said you just purchased.

The Pic is of my crosstour C300. I liked it so much I bought the c900 for my car. I think the C300 is just as good if not better just doesn't have rear facing camera in addition.
Old 08-28-2018, 11:21 PM   #52

Quote:

Ok, let me be even more clear and hopefully help. Sorry I created confusion. I bought this camera first: Crosstour C300 https://www.amazon.com/Crosstour-Das...crosstour+c300

I love it. It is the one in my photo I posted earlier. It came with the suction cup AND another permanent mount if you want to mount it to dash. It works great, is easy and mounts right to my vertical windshield and stays there. I drove 2000 miles with it no problem. I had to buy a memory card, specific speed, for like $9. It plugged in and worked with no setup. I then was given an offer by the manufacturer because of my purchase I guess, via email, to get their new C900 that comes with a different shaped front camera and also wiring and a rear camera for extra protection. I got the C900 for my car (not my motorhome) and haven't installed the rear camera yet. the C900 did not come with a suction cup mount and costs nearly 3 times as much on Amazon. For the front facing uses discussed here on a flat windshield the c300 works great for me and that is the one in my picture I posted.

I hope that makes it more clear. Sorry again. For $39 plus a memory card the c300 is a bargain.
Old 08-29-2018, 02:15 AM   #53

Think ware 770
Kennzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 01:03 PM   #54

I found a dash cam. Happy with it has the GPS and lane tracking Thanks all that gave lots on info Ronnie
tallmantwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 08:46 AM   #55

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallmantwo View Post
I found a dash cam. Happy with it has the GPS and lane tracking Thanks all that gave lots on info Ronnie
Okay, Ronnie. Don't leave us hanging. What did you get?

Now, you can be the durability tester and report back, or start an new thread, about how this unit holds up in the heat of the dash sun.
Old 08-31-2018, 08:49 AM   #56

Viofo a119s. Transfers between rv and jeep in seconds as they both have the 10$ gps mounts installed. Continuous recording, 1080p 60fps
HSR-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote