Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2016, 05:09 PM   #1

Dash electrical problem

My dash gauges and screen monitor kick off and on driving down the road. It also kicks off the cruise control, controlled on the dash. I cleaned up the battery cables and tighten them down, checked ground wires, and other areas but cannot figure out why this is happening. The head lights are working fine because they are powered off a relay. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2016, 05:40 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
There is a loose connection somewhere.
Old 05-16-2016, 05:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92TNTRacing View Post
There is a loose connection somewhere.
Yep, figured that..... May also be a bad relay or solenoid somewhere.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO Fred View Post
Yep, figured that..... May also be a bad relay or solenoid somewhere.
Typical a relay or solenoid would just be dead not come and go.

The three things you mentioned make me think they are all on the same circuit so I would start at the fuse block and work my way to the failing things.

Rv manufactures have a bad habit of ganging to many things on one fuse, look for a fuse pocket that in starting to melt.
Old 05-17-2016, 07:27 AM   #5

One thing I forgot to mention above. I took all the batteries out including the starting and house batteries so that I could put some rust proofing underneath them. I put the battery back in exactly the way they came out. I know I did it right because I took photos of the batteries and cables prior to taking them out. The coach starts easy and it runs down the road very well. It was right after this that I started having the problems with the dash instruments. Is this just a coincidence or is there a cause and effect here?
Old 05-17-2016, 06:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO Fred View Post
One thing I forgot to mention above. I took all the batteries out including the starting and house batteries so that I could put some rust proofing underneath them. I put the battery back in exactly the way they came out. I know I did it right because I took photos of the batteries and cables prior to taking them out. The coach starts easy and it runs down the road very well. It was right after this that I started having the problems with the dash instruments. Is this just a coincidence or is there a cause and effect here?
As a mechanic I would say it's not a coincidence, something changed. Double check the cables at the battery and the other end. Is it possible the ground cable is going bad and bending it caused to much resistance? Concentrate on the chassis battery, the house batterys have nothing to do with dash instruments.
Old 05-18-2016, 08:55 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
dash electrical

Most dash instrumentation is grounded at a common place with the ground wire looping from item to item and to a commonly located ground. Check all of these spots on gauges and the common for cleanliness and tightness. Cleaning up at the batteries is good as well. Now you need to do the in between.
holycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 01:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92TNTRacing View Post
As a mechanic I would say it's not a coincidence, something changed. Double check the cables at the battery and the other end. Is it possible the ground cable is going bad and bending it caused to much resistance? Concentrate on the chassis battery, the house batterys have nothing to do with dash instruments.
Thanks for the tip 92TNTRacing. I replaced the battery terminals with new ones. I just completed a 100 mile trip and everything is working fine now. Thanks

Tags
dash, electrical