Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2012, 06:57 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Dash heater problem

I have a 2003 National Sea Breeze LX on an F-53 chassis, ford engine. On a trip last month, I used the dash heater without problem (outside temp then about 55). Last night I was traveling (outside temp about 45 with 25 mph winds) and I had no hot air blowing from dash vents. Is there anything easy that I can check before my trip home that may be causing this problem? Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2012, 07:16 AM   #2

I would take a peak under the hood. The dial that adjusts the heat on your dashboard eventually connects to a cable that runs to a valve that is installed on a heater hose. The valve may be stuck or the cable may be bound. You should be able to manually move the valve to get heat but if the operation is still affected you may have to move the valve again manually to turn off the heat.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:34 AM   #3

No hot air or no air at all? If there is air but not hot, try to find were the hot water from the engine is controlled and see if you can manually override it. If no air at all, one or more of the diversion doors in the dash has stopped working. These doors used to be controlled manually but most are now vacuum controlled. If doors arent working, you probably have a vaccum line off some where--these are harder to find. Third is the fan motor itself--could be a fuse, the switch, or a bad motor--in this case, hope its just a fuse.
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:39 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
No hot air blowing? Was the fan blowing, but no hot air? Could be just a fan fuse. I also fully agree with VTbigdog on the heater valve, also check coolant level.
Please let us know.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:13 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
If your fan is blowing and you have no hot air most likley the inline valve in the heater hose is not opening. As was stated earlier you should be able to see the valve under the hood. It should have a cable connected to it. I had the same problem. I have the Evans controls on mine and the cable was sticking. I turned on the temp knob a little to hard and twisted the center of the plastic knob out. Just to get home with heat you can have someone move the valve under the hood while someone else turns the knob. You will have to find out why the cable is not working smoothly. I found a little kink in mine. I got some lubricant from a bicycle shop for bike cables. I got a new knob and everythings works great.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:02 AM   #6

Is your engine temperature operating in its normal range? If the engine thermostat goes bad the engine will not heat up properly and you wont get much warmth from the heater.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:30 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
With the engine hot, full hot on the thermostat, find the two 3/4" heater hose lines that go into the heater core under the dash. Feel them, if both of them are the same hot, then a door under the dash is most likely the problem not letting the hot air get to the vents. If only one of them are hot, then the water control valve is most likely the problem.

Both the door and control valve are controlled with vacuum lines but this should help to pinpoint the area to troubleshoot.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:33 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Thanks. Air is blowing normally, just not hot. I'll check the items mentioned.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:36 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Temp gauge on dash showed normal operating temp also.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:51 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgscott4 View Post
With the engine hot, full hot on the thermostat, find the two 3/4" heater hose lines that go into the heater core under the dash. Feel them, if both of them are the same hot, then a door under the dash is most likely the problem not letting the hot air get to the vents. If only one of them are hot, then the water control valve is most likely the problem.

Both the door and control valve are controlled with vacuum lines but this should help to pinpoint the area to troubleshoot.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
this is good advise, if both hose's are not HOT, heater will not work. Fairly simple to fix, good luck.
david
justimagination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:38 PM   #11

Hi,
Check the website: www.densoheavyduty.com as this the service
manual for the ford and chev chassis and some DP motorhomes.

Roy Wohlscheid
Old 02-10-2013, 06:33 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
I ended up taking it to dealer and they had to put a manual valve on the hot water hose going to heater box. I guess the dash control stopped working. Has anyone had experience with this, just wondering, if the thermostat control doesn't work for the heater, does that mean it is not going to work for AC? Wonder if I am going to need to do something so that AC compressor will run as if thermostat is set to full cool when I need to use Dash AC? Thanks.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:43 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
I think before anyone can help you we would need to know what kind of a/c heater controls you have. Not only the brand name but whether it is vacuum or cable controlled.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:31 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Don't have the coach at home right now, but the thermostat is a twist knob, would think it is not moving a cable. The dash controls look just like the ones I see on current ford chassis coaches.

Tags
dash, heater