Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-04-2016, 02:44 PM   #1
Dash Radio Replacement

Need to replace in-dash radio in Monaco Windsor, any words of wisdom or replacement thoughts? Has a Sony CDX1710.

R2ZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2016, 03:08 PM   #2
Following this as ours needs an upgrade too

Ron & Linda
2000 Dynasty 38PBS
Full time since 2007
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 09:05 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
Newmar Owners Club
There are a ton of choices. You need to measure yours to get the face size.....they are sized in what is called a DIN. Just measure the height of the radio.

I like having an in dash GPS. In our previous coach we had a Pioneer AM/FM/XM/DVD/GPS unit. It had a nice large screen and played the driving directions through the stereo speakers. They're are pricey.

You need to decide on a price point and then shop for the best radio.
Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 06:07 AM   #4
Call Crutchfield. I called and after talking with a sales person settled on a Kenwood model. It has Bluetooth so I can stream pandora,etc,it has 1 cd slot,sm/fm, usb,auxiliary input,is satellite ready,has amp inputs for sub woofer etc.cost sbout 120.00 bucks sounds great.I replaced the in dash casett in my 91 Foretravel Grand Villa with it.
stumpnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 06:20 AM   #5
I went to a local sound shop that works on cars. They went through the choices I had based on the size of the current radio. They did the installation. Works great!
Ludmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 06:29 AM   #6
In addition to proper fit, I would highly recommend you consider ease of operation. A vast array of tiny poorly marked buttons are generally useless when you're on the road, especially in light of the fact many radios are not going to be located in a manner where they are quickly identified/easily seen by the driver. Complex displays with tiny icons/text same story. Point being, I'll take a simpler radio with bigger, well marked buttons, and easily viewed display any day.
1997 37' HR Endeavor, 275hp Cat, Freightliner
03 CR-V Blue Ox, Ready Brake
ahicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 06:00 AM   #7
I just bought and installed this one myself. Easy operation. Has everything you need. $134. Power Acoustik PD-710B Single-DIN Multimedia Source with Detachable 7-Inch Oversize LCD Touchscreen including Bluetooth 2.0
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	accoustik radio.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	171.4 KB
ID:	118432  
tourdasouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 06:09 AM   #8
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Only seeing them previously in cars, I thought that in-dash radios with remote controls were silly. My next one will have a remote, so that the DJ in the passenger seat can operate it while I drive.

2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freightliner XC, CAT 3126B
slowmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 09:36 AM   #9
We just replaced our original cassette player/stereo in our Bounder with a Kenwood KDC-HD262U. It was an easy replacement and the stereo is great. The sound is superb and it has multiple capabilities, including HD stations. Chuck
Chuck and Susan
1999 Fleetwood Bounder 34J
Triton V10 Gas
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 11:45 AM   #10
National RV Owners Club
Sky is the limit on this. Think about your usage and look for models that will fit your needs. Most models these days support MP3 sound files which is good but many files are now starting to come out as FLAC files which doesn't sacrifice audio quality for size. This may not be available yet but as many downloadable files are starting to show up in this format, I would at least ask if there is some unit out there that plays FLAC as well as MP3. Bluetooth is a must and one thing that I wish had gotten when I replaced my deck was to make sure that the illumination is dimmable. Nothing like driving at night on a dark road while having a glaringly bright audio deck trashing your night vision more than it needs to.
1999 - National Tropi Cal
sirpurrcival is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 01:14 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
Newmar Owners Club
One of the things I loved about my Pioneer AVIC-D1 was that it has a small peanut shaped remote that attached to the inside edge of the steering wheel. In a motor home, where the radio is often out of comfortable reach, it was a great feature. I could adjust the volume, change stations and what I really liked....repeat the next maneuver on the GPS.
Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 03:25 PM   #12
Monaco Owners Club
I replaced my Sony with a Sony. The old plug in the back had the same form factor as the new one, saved me from doing a fancy patch cord. The face size was different but nothing a Dremel couldn't fix.

Jim and Jennie, Cats=Bittles and Potter, 2000 Dynasty 350 ISC
2013 Silverado 4x4 Towed with R1200GS in bed.
PROV23:4 Do not wear yourself out to get rich; have the wisdom to show restraint.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote

ace, dash, radio, replace, replacement