Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2012, 09:16 AM   #15

They're meant mainly to blow in your face and keep the air circulating.... they just aren't capable of cooling THAT large an area. Quite frankly, in my gasser, I get better mileage running the genset and both roof A/C's than running the dash A/C... I turn it on for a few minutes per trip just to exercise it, then off it goes. It's too much hassle to hang a curtain behind the pilot and copilot seats, and wouldn't look good, IMHO, so I just keep it simple. Besides cooling the coach, it means your genset is running and being exercised which will decrease the likelyhood of having problems. They're meant to be run for many many hours..just my .02...

rvguy40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2012, 10:58 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
My dash air will keep the driver and passenger cool, but not much more than that. I run the genset if it is hot outside to keep the temp down inside. I don't think any dash air system will cool down such a large space, just keep the driver and passenger cool as the air blows by.

Old 07-26-2012, 02:33 PM   #17

curtains for cockpit/cabin area

If you have a fabric/carpet-like roof this idea may work for you. I bought some curtains from Walmart and sewed 2 inch velcro pieces along the top edge (about every foot,making sure I ended up with a piece on the ends). You will get both parts of the velcro when you purchase it, but of course you will only have to sew on the velcro that will stick to your roof. I just arrange the curtains where I want them to go on the roof. No ugly droopy rod or permanent clips needed. My curtains are removable and moveable. If you have a fabric roof like I do, it is the best solution when there is not enough cold air in the front driving area.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:52 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtop View Post
How did you fix it so the fan only pulled air from inside the coach? Does keeping it on MAX air do it? Thanks
Yes, running it on max closes the door to the outside. If you want to do as I suggest, the door is not hard to locate on anything I can remember working on. Usually visible under the hood on the passenger side. I just installed a tie wrap on the vacuum motor linkage to hold the door permanently closed to the outside

Side benefit is to be able to use this feature with heat, and use it when the cab a/c compressor isn't running?

In really warm weather (95+), with the roof A/C's running, outside air door closed (which opens the recirculating door) the cab heater will pick the cool air from the roof A/C's up off the coach floor and blow it in your face - with the cab a/c compressor turned off. Just set the heater temp control to max cold, then set knob that controls what outlet the air comes out of so it's blowing in your face - on the heat side of the control. Set this way on longer runs, ours works so effectively we can turn the cab blower switch down to medium or low even on the hottest days. -Al
Old 08-04-2012, 11:47 AM   #19

Forest River Owners Club
Dash Air

Although I do run gen set and overhead air while driving in hot weather, I always had a problem with dash air not being as cold as I expected. Finally found the problem. Air/heat switch operates a solenoid activated control in engine compartment which shuts off the hot water to the unit when switched to air. Mine was not closing completely and allowed some hot water to leak thru. EASY TEST, bypass switch at hose entry and see what you get then. If that is the problem, then replace the valve. I never use heat, being from south Florida, might leave it bypassed for a while.
Tom
P.S. The recirculating vent in my Forest River is just forward of passengers feet and has a grate over it. Remove grate and see if damper opens when switched to recirculate.
Old 08-04-2012, 05:52 PM   #20

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by redtop View Post
How did you fix it so the fan only pulled air from inside the coach? Does keeping it on MAX air do it? Thanks

Short answer: YES.

Long answer: In another thread someone ask why on his car when he chooses MAX it blows harder (It does not) but on the RV it does not (Workign properly)

The reason is not that is is blowing harder on the car but it is making more noise so it SOUNDS like it is blowing harder, The reason for this is that there are two air intakes, Normal air both are open so it sucks some air from inside the cab uder the dash on a car, usually the passengar side floor on both cars and your RV but the RV's indoor air intake is way way larger.

When you switch to MAX it closes the outside air intake, So the under dash intake on the car makes a whole lot more noise.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:20 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Short answer: YES.

Long answer: In another thread someone ask why on his car when he chooses MAX it blows harder (It does not) but on the RV it does not (Workign properly)

The reason is not that is is blowing harder on the car but it is making more noise so it SOUNDS like it is blowing harder, The reason for this is that there are two air intakes, Normal air both are open so it sucks some air from inside the cab uder the dash on a car, usually the passengar side floor on both cars and your RV but the RV's indoor air intake is way way larger.

When you switch to MAX it closes the outside air intake, So the under dash intake on the car makes a whole lot more noise.
Bottom line remains that with the outside door closed you are no longer forcing the cab system to try and cool hot air pulled from the outside, or heat up cold air that's been pulled in the same way....

In either case, doing it's thing to air pulled from inside the coach gives it a huge leg up on what you're asking it to do... (when heating or cooling!)
Old 08-05-2012, 12:36 PM   #22

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sometimes yes, Sometimes no, Depends on the outside temps. But when it is 100 in the shade then answer is YES.

When it's 70 out and 90 inside due to greehouse effect, Then normal air works better.

The big problem is folks expect it to blow out the vent at like 40 degrees, and on a 100+ degree day that is simply NOT going to happen.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:18 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Use the Max Air when it's hot as you don't have to cool the hot outside air. the cooler it gets inside the better it cools on Max Air as it is cooling cool air. A AC will only cool the air about 50 degrees, so 100 cools 50. If the air inside is 75 then on Max Air it will cool 25 to 30 at the evaporater. Hope this helps it's kind of a short version of how AC works. Jim