Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2018, 03:01 PM   #29

Re: Onan Diesel

I had a similar issue for a year or so. Then it just quit altogether. Ended up at Cummins in Tolleson, AZ. They said if the gen does not see electricity being produced, it turns itself off. I believe it turned out to be the Stator which was expensive. They had to pull the gen out for service. They tested the new under load for 12 hours, then reinstalled. Runs great now.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2018, 03:32 PM   #30

There should be a 120V receptacle for the fridge. I would check and see that there is correct voltage. I would then check the circuit board to make sure the 5V fuse has 12v power to both sides to ensure that part of the board is good. I would also Ohm the heating element(s) to make sure they didn't short out. You should be able to google how to check them. If there are two elements for the fridge one might be bad.
BUB1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 05:13 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogulite View Post
Sorry about that! I didn’t disappear, I actually started another thread, my bad.
Thank you all for your advice.

The batteries were seven years old so I did indeed go to Costco and buy four Interstate golf cart batteries. Took care of my the generator problem. Starts right up.

My only remaining issue is the refrigerator. The freezer portion is accumulating a lot of ice build up. I chipped it all out after installing the new batteries but by the next morning, it had built up again. It seems the freezer is about as cold as the refrigerator should be. Frozen items thawed out. The refrigerator is not cold enough to keep milk etc. cold. I checked the two fuses the manual recommended, both good.

I’m still thinking it has something to do with the Inverter as it was working normally until the generator problem. At one point the the fault light lit up on the Inverter remote and the microwave displayed a message saying something like power outage, refrigerator shut off. Don’t ask me how my microwave got so smart, lol.

The refrigerator is currently operating on propane which has always been great in the past. Never had the frost build up before.

Again, I apologize for the disappearance from this thread. I feel so lucky to have found this resource. I have learned a lot and hope to share what I do know when appropriate.
I don't know if you have a residential refrigerator or a RV refrigerator.

My RV refrigerator started acting similar to your description. We were in 95 degree F + weather during the day. After several days of very little cooling I turned the refrigerator off overnight and I left it off while we moved about 150 miles. That allowed the refrigerant gasses to separate. My refrigerator has worked well ever since.

Safe travels. JD
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 05:58 PM   #32

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Agree. From the little info provided the common denominator is likely the house battery bank. What is the resting voltage (no charging or large loads active)? What type and age of batteries? If wet - got water?

Attachment 218428

This is a great little chart, I've made them up for friends (printed and laminated) but it is important to note that battery voltage *must* be measured at the battery terminal only for it to be accurate.
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 07:45 PM   #33

Our situation sounds a lot like yellowboats so we’re gonna give it a try. Bought a couple of blockers of ice to make it through the night. Hopefully it’ll work. Thanks.