Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2011, 03:22 PM   #1

DC Lights

I am having trouble with the lights in the bathroom of my 2007 Tiffin Phaeton. One switch burned out and then the lights went out again. When I took off the switch I found that one of the two wires was burned where it connects to the spade connector. I cut the wire and replaced the connector but it does not work. Not even when I just touch both wires.
The fuse is fine. I found it and replaced it. There are plents of other items on the circut such as a fan. The question is, which of the two hot wires is the one that does not work? One goes right up to the light. The other is part of a large bundle.
I have a multi-tester and a continuity test but I am not sure how to use them.
I live near Ocean City, MD and will buy lunch for anyone that can help me.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2011, 12:06 PM   #2

If you have a ohm meter pull the fuse for that circuit remove the light bulb and check the resistance at the bulb socket of both wires to ground (with the switch off). The one should be a short to ground and the other should be open. It sounds like you have a wire with insuation wearing through and it is arcing to ground, not enough to blow the fuse but enough to overheat.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:08 AM   #3

DC lights

Brooke, that sounds like a good lead. At one point I was reading 3.5 volts between the two wires, not zero or 12.

The problem is, I don't know how to find ground inside the RV.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:07 AM   #4

Between which wires? Need to find out if it is supply or ground that is at fault. (see attached) Obviously 3.5 is bad.
Depending on the manufacturer sometimes the ground is above the light depending on the structure. After that looking for a bad wire gets nasty.
I do not remember if on my fathers Allegro Bus the wires go over or through the basement. Corners are another spot to look for wear, as sometimes they are not properly protected.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20110907_110635.png
Views:	43
Size:	291.8 KB
ID:	13633  
Old 09-08-2011, 09:24 AM   #5

I had 3.5 volts between the two wires that went into the switch.
The switch has two male prongs coming out of it. One of the wires goes to a big bundle behind the switch for the fan. The fan works. The other goes up the back to the light. After fooling around with it a bunch I now get zero volts.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:36 PM   #6

Pull the fuse.
Measure Ohms (2000 / 2k ) between the wire going from the switch to the light. That would be either end of the same wire, you should read close to 0 ( up to about 2 could be test leads) then if that is good measure across the light socket that should be 0L. Or open. ( digital / analog meter) If it is not ( 0L ) the wire from the switch to the light is the problem. If that is the case if you have not already pull the light and look at the wires on the back, if you get lucky there will be a problem with the wire there.

Again fuse is pulled and wire is off switch.

Tags
lights