Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2015, 01:36 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
DC system monitoring

Here is a new meter panel I have been building to monitor battery systems in my coach. These monitor chassis battery, coach batteries and my solar batteries. At a glance I can see what everybody is doing, and make sure everybody is charging. These are liquid crystal meters with a single LED for backlight. Very low current draw.
aviator37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2015, 02:01 PM   #2

interesting post but I can not open anything
Hope you can correct it
will stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 05:35 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Lets try this picture

Click image for larger version

Name:	meters_6000.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	93494
Old 05-05-2015, 05:48 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here are the meters used. Note the small round unit on top. That is a dual USB charging system for our many devices. I will show a link for that also.

Amazon.com: XYZ Boat Supplies Dual USB Charger Socket for Boat / Rv / Car / Motor-home (Black): Sports & Outdoors

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 05-05-2015, 07:05 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks Aviator...you just cost me $10...

Saw the Dual USB plug and had to have one.
Will replace the single socket in the dash.

Good job on the voltmeter install.

Dan
Old 05-05-2015, 07:26 PM   #6

There are other meters that have dual display that includes amps.

Requires external shunt but a kit for about 19 bucks...

Such a deal...
Old 05-05-2015, 09:34 PM   #7

So we went to ebay and found led versions which are smaller but can fit inside a cabinet for a past project.

$1.72 with free shipping...ordered 20...

Then found a volt and amp display with 500 amp shunt witg free shipping for 15.88...ordered 2...

Going back for a 48 volt voltmeter...
Old 05-06-2015, 07:42 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have been evaluating inexpensive meters that measure current with a shunt and have not been happy with them. They calibrate pretty well in a high current environment, but had problems with low current monitoring. There are a number of meters for both AC and DC available these days. Try to stick with liquid crystal displays to minimize current draw. The meters I chose are 4 digit, many are only 3, and the LED lamp is easily disconnected if you don't want it. These came out of the box calibrated and all three were within a tenth of a volt without adjustment. For me, the voltage monitoring was important to monitor charging. The meters operate when the batteries are connected. The solar one stays on all the time.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator37 View Post

Here is a new meter panel I have been building to monitor battery systems in my coach. These monitor chassis battery, coach batteries and my solar batteries. At a glance I can see what everybody is doing, and make sure everybody is charging. These are liquid crystal meters with a single LED for backlight. Very low current draw.
aviator37
Nice job
I find it interesting that you have 3 sets of batteries... most coaches have only 2... (chassis and house).
What is the reason for, or advantage of, 3?
Wondering
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:16 AM   #10

We have 3, starting, coach and genny-levelers.

When we added the battery minders for them we installed conduits for the ac and pulled small wires for something like this.

A spare time project to build a panel.

The others will be used on assorted new ideas...

The op units sure look nice and are likely far better ones but our needs different and the space where the panel will go is where the cable/antenna switch once was.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:44 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We boondock frequently, sometimes just a rest area on the freeway. My wife likes the Today show in the mornings with her coffee. I designed the solar system to be independent of the other coach battery systems to avoid causing trouble. The solar panel feeds it's own 100 amp hour battery, which feeds it's own inverter. This feeds TV's mostly, but can work for anything. I broke the 120VAC plugs in half by removing the tabs. The top plug is shore/generator, and the bottom plug is solar. Just plug into what you want.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:46 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator37 View Post
We boondock frequently, sometimes just a rest area on the freeway. My wife likes the Today show in the mornings with her coffee. I designed the solar system to be independent of the other coach battery systems to avoid causing trouble. The solar panel feeds it's own 100 amp hour battery, which feeds it's own inverter. This feeds TV's mostly, but can work for anything. I broke the 120VAC plugs in half by removing the tabs. The top plug is shore/generator, and the bottom plug is solar. Just plug into what you want.
aviator37
Thanks
We do that with only 2 sets of batteries...(have for 15 years).
Mel
'96 Safari, 140k miles
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 11:21 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You can certainly do it with existing batteries. When I first started experimenting with solar, I didn't want to do anything that would jeopardize the coach batteries. Building the system as an independent system seemed a logical solution.