Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2016, 02:00 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
Glad to find this thread. I have been looking at On The Go systems. I have softened well water but I am certain the TDS is still high. Curious to hear what kinds of results you have been getting and what kind of TDS readings you are seeing before and after. I assume anybody that has purchased an On the Go system, it came with the handheld TDS meter.

Another thought. Has anybody ever tried rainwater collection? I'm just wondering what the TDS would be and if it makes a good source for spot free rinsing. I have a large metal roof on my carport and have thought of installing a rainwater collection system for the whole house. It doesn't have to be elaborate to collect enough water to wash and rinse your RV. A large trash barrel could store enough water for that. Just curious.
Scotty, softened water will continue to be high in TDS as most of the dissolved minerals in the raw water are only replaced by other ions (minerals for the sake of this discussion). That is CA and Mg being replaced by Na. The net effect is TDS is not greatly affected. Deionization, Reverse Osmosis, Distilling, in the other hand remove those pesky ions.

spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2016, 04:21 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nforus View Post
We have the CR Spotless system installed in our shop for washing the coach and cars. We have high solids well water so we go through resin pretty fast. The resin seemed to start lasting longer after we installed a 5 micron filter in line before the DI. Ours is a mixed bed system (anion and cation resin mixed together) We've been working with the folks at Culligan about getting a system installed in the coach and they have told us that the resin in a mixed bed system will separate ( with the heavier resin falling to the bottom) while driving down the road and it won't be as effective. We don't know if the Culligan folks are merely selling us an extra tank that we don't need or not. We ran the question past a couple of the kids with Chem E degrees when they were home for Christmas and we got maybe/maybe not answers. We had a portable separate resin system in a previous coach and it worked great. Maybe someone on here knows the real answer.
That is an interesting question. I can see where if one is heavier or smaller, it would naturally want to sift to the bottom, like marbles and BB's. I am looking at a dual bed system that will stay at home for the forseeable future. Their claim is 2.5X more volume and 50% cost/gal over a mixed bed system. On The Go technology

Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 05:04 PM   #17
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
I made a water stick for $10. Beads from Amazon for $45 for 5lbs. I get about 2 washes per fill. I imagine I'll get 20 washes out of the bag. Brobox on here presented all the info. Do a search if interested. Here's mine.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1452467060.556087.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	116175
Old 01-10-2016, 05:13 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
I too use the CR Spotless. DI water is the only way to get a true spot free rinse. Soft water isn't going cut it.
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 09:08 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn View Post
Scotty, softened water will continue to be high in TDS as most of the dissolved minerals in the raw water are only replaced by other ions (minerals for the sake of this discussion). That is CA and Mg being replaced by Na. The net effect is TDS is not greatly affected. Deionization, Reverse Osmosis, Distilling, in the other hand remove those pesky ions.
I know that the soft water has plenty of solids. If I wash my pickup or RV with it, it looks like it's been sprayed with baking soda when it dries. I am hoping that the minerals are not exchanged at a 1:1 ratio. Last time I checked, my well water was around 48 gr hardness. I'm not sure how that translates to TDS. I have a RO system in the house for drinking water.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:41 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankcj View Post
I too use the CR Spotless. DI water is the only way to get a true spot free rinse. Soft water isn't going cut it.
Thanks. I will be comparing it with the ON The Go. I like that it comes with a cart and the integrated meter, and the fact that is comes with a sprayer.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:48 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkh View Post
I made a water stick for $10. Beads from Amazon for $45 for 5lbs. I get about 2 washes per fill. I imagine I'll get 20 washes out of the bag. Brobox on here presented all the info. Do a search if interested. Here's mine.
Attachment 116175
Thanks Rkh. I found that thread linked, read the whole thing, and saw the progression. Your's looks a little more refined than some of the earlier models. The upfront cost are substantially lower and building it would be very easy. Are you thinking 20 RV washes for $50? If so, that would be very reasonable.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:12 AM   #22
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Thanks Rkh. I found that thread linked, read the whole thing, and saw the progression. Your's looks a little more refined than some of the earlier models. The upfront cost are substantially lower and building it would be very easy. Are you thinking 20 RV washes for $50? If so, that would be very reasonable.

Yes...
Old 01-11-2016, 11:42 AM   #23

Entegra Owners Club
I have the CR Spotless sold by Costco. I have used it about a dozen times and the hardness meter still reads zero, so ether it is still like new, or the meter is broken. What I do know id that it works great. I wash and rinse with tap water, then before it dries, do a final spray with the DI water. Walk away and forget about it. When it dries it is truly spotless.
Old 01-11-2016, 11:52 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
I have the CR Spotless sold by Costco. I have used it about a dozen times and the hardness meter still reads zero, so ether it is still like new, or the meter is broken. What I do know id that it works great. I wash and rinse with tap water, then before it dries, do a final spray with the DI water. Walk away and forget about it. When it dries it is truly spotless.
X2...I heard that when the numbers start appearing on the meter, it will go fast and the resin needs to be changed.
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 12:46 PM   #25

I bought the CR Spotless system and after a dozen or so washes it's doing fine. Just to prove to myself it wasn't just nonsense, I washed my truck and rinsed it with th CR. I then sprayed half the hood with regular tap water and let it dry in the sun. The CR side was perfect. The hose rinsed side showed lots of spots.
Old 01-11-2016, 01:36 PM   #26

Quote:
I know that the soft water has plenty of solids. If I wash my pickup or RV with it, it looks like it's been sprayed with baking soda when it dries. I am hoping that the minerals are not exchanged at a 1:1 ratio. Last time I checked, my well water was around 48 gr hardness. I'm not sure how that translates to TDS. I have a RO system in the house for drinking water.
1:1 replacement of ions is exactly correct Scott. The residue is usually a sodium salt which is usually very "powdery" when dry. DI or RO water rinse while it is still wet, will usually get rid of the residue.
I have been researching whole coach RO systems which would give me a 100gal reservoir for rinsing.
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 01:37 PM   #27

I use a water sprayer with a solution of Jet Dry Finish Rinse Aid. It's what you use in your dishwasher and I do not get any spotting. Maybe I'm just cheap but it seems to work well.I would not suggest drinking it it however.
stevechris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 09:35 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevechris View Post
I use a water sprayer with a solution of Jet Dry Finish Rinse Aid. It's what you use in your dishwasher and I do not get any spotting. Maybe I'm just cheap but it seems to work well.I would not suggest drinking it it however.
Humm, I've got an old Mr. Clean auto washer head. Since they are obsolete, no replacement cartridges are sold. Wonder if I could add some Jet Dry in the old cartridge?

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water