Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2012, 08:59 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenjen View Post
Thank you for all your advice. I am going to do this myself tomorrow. Buying new filters for the kit sink and icemaker. I'll let you know how it goes.
Is there a bypass for the filter? Ours has a plug to replace the under sink filter that also feeds the ice maker to winterize. We found out the hard way those filters can actually filter out the pink color from the RV antifreeze. Waited and waited for the pink stuff to get to the back of the fridge and realized it was no longer pink.

To de-winterize, I agree, just run water through until it is clear to all of the faucets. Open the hot water tank bypass and add mild bleach solution to the fresh water tank. We have never paid to have our MHs winterized either. It really isn't that hard and there will be lots of folks right here to help with any questions one might have.

HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2012, 05:30 PM   #16

I DID IT ALL BY MYSELF with all your help and a little help from my DH with the hoses but that is all he did. (he had rather pay the $100 to make sure it is done right).

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
Open the hot water tank bypass and add mild bleach solution to the fresh water tank.
OOPS. the bleach solution went into the hot water tank is that really bad?
The hot water tank is not on but when I run the faucets the hot side still has some air and the water seems foamy is this normal and/or do I need to run it longer.

lenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:51 PM   #17

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Keep running the water until the foam disappears. Then you should be good to go.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:06 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyrider View Post
Keep running the water until the foam disappears. Then you should be good to go.
Now I am worried. Because I just ran it a good 20 minutes and we still have foam. Is the chlorine mixture bad for the hot water heater? and as it replenishes water from the holding tank the chlorine mixture is still going into the HW heater. I was going to leave the mixture there over night, now I'm thinking I need to drain it tonight.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:37 AM   #19

Nothing to be real worried about but what concentration of bleach did you use? That will determine how annoying the problem will be.

I think your foam is left over pink stuff in a water filter.

(Going by admittedly faltering memory here): If the tank isn't turned on, you won't cause any big problem by leaving it filled with bleach water overnight. All it would cause is the bleach taste to linger a little longer then you'd like. If you turned it on to heat water, then the chlorine can cause a chemical reaction in the tank either with the aluminum or the calcium deposits that are often in there. That can cause the chlorine to become too friendly with the tank or deposits and cause the taste to linger too long.

Best advice is to leave the tank off, just use cold water tonight. Maybe empty and refill the tank once or twice. Then tomorrow...add 1/2 cup baking soda per 60 gallons to neutralize the bleach.

I've never seen bleach cause 'foam'. But I have seen the pink stuff cause foam.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:05 AM   #20

Not taking any chance I emptied everything last night because of a distant memory of chlorine having some corrosive elements. I'll refill today and run it through again.

Thanks again for everyone’s help
Old 03-07-2012, 09:31 AM   #21

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
if you have a water filter change the cartridge