Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2013, 07:39 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Dead Chassis Battery

I need some explaining. 2012 American Coach, Eagle with dead chassis batteries. We've been sitting for about 3 wks, hooked to shore power. It seems my door locks are on these batteries and they wouldn't work today. After chasing I figured it out, started engine with boost switch from house batteries, ran engine for awhile now all is good! Question. Shouldn't inverter/charger also maintain chassis batteries or should these lock systems be on the house batteries. Thanks in advance, trying to sort through new coach.

sparkydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2013, 08:18 PM   #2

I don't think anything is talked about more than battery charging questions. I don't know if your chassis battery should be charged by the convertor, but find it hard to believe in 2012 it would not be there. My 2001 does. Your owners manual should address it. Call the dealer. As to the locks. If they are remote locks they would use the truck system and therefore be on the chassis battery. You can always invest $20.00 for an automatic trickle charger or $50.00 for a trick-L-Start.
Good luck
Tom

tompen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:49 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Your chassis battery shouldn't be dead in 3 weeks even if it isn't being charged by the house charger.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:28 AM   #4

I think that the chassis batteries are just not receiving a charge from anything other then running the engine (or maybe generator). Is it possible that the selenoid from the battery crossover switch is stuck and no juice is getting to the batteries for charging? Not sure but something is blocking energy from going to the chassis batteries. It maybe much longer then the three weeks but your not aware of it.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:33 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
All the battery's should be maintained on that Coach when plugged into shore power If I had to guess, you have a problem somewhere. When your unit is plugged into shore power you should not have to start the generator for anything other than to run it for exercise. Your system should have a auto gen start feature on it for when the voltage of the house battery's get to low it will start, but that is for when you are not plugged into shore power I think. Time to get t your manuals out while waiting for more replies
Old 03-09-2013, 09:50 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Saturday update. I checked the chassis batteries this AM, they showed 13.4 volts just like they were supposed to. Last evening they were low enough they would not start engine, turn on lights, or anything to do with instrument panel. Battery boost switch started motor last night. I'm with you guys, all batteries should be maintained when plugged into shore power. I will keep an eye on it and let you know. Electrical gremlins, the worst!
Old 03-09-2013, 10:02 AM   #7

I have to disagree that ALL batteries are charged when plugged in to shore power or gennie is running. Many rigs are wired so that ONLY the house batteries are charged by shore/gennie power. You need to install a Trik-L-Start or something similar. It charges the chassis batteries thru the house batteries when plugged in or on generator. It will not allow the chassis batteries to drain the house batteries.

There are many parasitic devices that will suck your batteries down in a week or less, especially if you forget and leave things on like the invertor, cargo bay lights, etc.

Something similar to a Trik-L-start runs $30 or so and takes just minutes to install. Problem solved.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:11 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Old Chief, no one here said "all Coach's" I said "that Coach" , He has a 2012 American Eagle and yes that Coach should maintain the battery's at all points, shore power, auto gen start.
Your converter/inverter should keep them charged up when on shore power, and when not if you have the setting for low voltage set to what you want the gen set should start up and run till the voltage up back up.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:21 PM   #9

On our MH the chassis batteries are not maintained through that invertor. If we are going to be parked one place for any length of time, I plug in the Battery Tender. As far as the batteries drawing down of power, there is a constance draw from the computers and such. It may only be mA, but over a long period of time they mount up. On some vehicle that I used to work on we had an issue with the batteries going dead after sitting about one month. After doing some checking we found that the draw from the on board computers was the cause. We installed battery disconnect switches and the solved the problem. Add in cold weather and the battery might go down faster.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:17 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
All ACs charge all batteries both from shore power and engine power. Re the auto gen start feature...it has to be turned on manually to operate, it is automatically turned off whenever the coach is moved (that's what the manual says, don't know if that means when the engine is started) and there is an optional feature that does not allow the AGS to operate when plugged into shore power. You need to check to see if you have that feature.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:40 PM   #11

If you are going to be parked for an extended amount of time, how about a small solar panel hooked to the chassis battery to keep it topped up. I have a couple that are called battery maintainers. They cost about 30 dollars.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:45 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

As the others have said, an American Coach will always charge the chassis battery from shore power if it can. There is some logic applied, though, and it will not attempt to charge the chassis battery unless it can first get the house battery bank up to par. That's about 13.3v on the house battery bank. That shouldn't be a problem on a 2012 coach, but sometimes even a new coach has a bad battery that prevents the house bank from coming up to where it should be.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:27 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Woke up this morning, dead chassis batteries. Thanks for all the good info. I've read about all I can. Inverters seem to be working, showing 13.5 on both. The dealer did install two new NAPA batteries right before I bought it. They could be suspect. I can still start with house batteries. A call to Fleetwood in the morning may yield some information. It just seems to have come on quickly
Old 03-10-2013, 08:44 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Gary , how are you determining that they are dead? I am confused as you state 13.5 vdc on both? Do you have a volt meter to check the battery voltage right at the battery's? IF so what do they read ? What can you still start with the house battery's? the gen set?